Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Horrible Boskonian Idea...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a drabble. I'm not planning on using this as a villain.
---------------------------------------------
The voice that came across Rocky's cellphone was flat and digitally distorted, but there was no mistaking the tone. "I've reviewed the business ventures from the last cycle, Rocky. The profits on the trafficking of modified servants is slipping. You were down 7.632%. This is unacceptable."
Rocky was sweating. Messing with the profits was something that irritated the Boss, and it didn't pay to irritate the Boss. "Yessir. I'm aware of the discrepancy, sir. We believe it was the result of interference by the Banzai Institute in our operations in Haiti. Their disaster relief teams there have been keeping a closer tally of the refugees than we expected.
The voice responded, its tone strangely booming, even out of the small cellphone speaker. "There's a 93.82% chance that you're right. Start looking for other sources. Haiti is no longer a profitable source of income in that market."
"Yessir. Where do you think we should look?"
"Sociopolitical analysis shows that the areas around Libya and Syria will be suitable. Revolutions are chaotic; people who are missing will be assumed to have died in the conflict or disappeared by the regimes."
"What about the social media sites? Won't disappearances spark communications there?"
"The social media sites are easily manipulated. I will deal with them." The voice sounded supremely confident in its assertion.
"Yessir. I'll start directing our bugout from Haiti. What about the Blazers."
"Ignore them for the time being. Let them be the philanthropists that they wish to be. Do this quickly, Rocky, but carefully. Remember, I replaced Dillinger, and I can replace you."
"Yessir. I won't fail."
"See that you don't. End of Line."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Heheheh. Nice.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I think most of the issue with this villain, is how quickly he might well get taken out by Hackers Underspace once they become aware of his presence.

"Jeph?"

"Yeah, Nene?"

"Have you ever heard of an AI called Master Control Program? ...OK, I guess you have, given that your biomod has kicked in and you're white as a sheet as well."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Warringer

Sounds like a new hero is going to raise...

Tron Guy!
Quote:The MCP lay helpless upon a broken plain in cyberspace. It's firewalls in ruin, attack programs deleted. The MCP was perfection, so how could one flawed human electronic ghost do this much damage? The MCP looked up as the electronic ghost hefted a sledgehammer up into the air. Then the ghost grinned, "What's that line you like to use? Oh yes, End of Line." and the hammer came crashing down.
Something I couldn't get out of my head about how Sabre would react to the MCP.

HRogge

As a faction that draws parts of their ideas from Tron, Catgirl Industries would be horrified to hear someone has made a MCP-style AI.

"Cortana, whats about this new security upgrades for Cyberspace you talked about?"

"Already working on it Cathy, hope to get the first set of patches ready as soon as possible... yes, I saw the news too!"
I like this. Can you imagine if the MCP and Agatha Clay got together? Then again, maybe that has already happened and the result was Quatro.

Oddball thought: what would it take to get the Hacker Underspace to call an emergency convention? I know it'd have to be something major, like on the same scope of what happened in the anime feature film, Summer Wars.
Or an accelerating, out of control intelligence going for a hard launch towards the singularity without being nice and friendly towards humans. Something Like the TITANs from Eclipse Phase, or Skynet.

Which I sort of bring up because I've been reading through the EP core book lately because my gaming group is looking at running a game of it in place of the now finished Greatest Heavy Gear Campaign Ever.

"So, her mother was a Spark and her father was a pretentious director?"

"Sir, her father was MCP, not McG."

"That's not so bad, then. [size=smaller]Stupid typo.[/size]"

blackaeronaut Wrote:Oddball thought: what would it take to get the Hacker Underspace to call an emergency convention? I know it'd have to be something major, like on the same scope of what happened in the anime feature film, Summer Wars.

Nah - the Underspace would handle that on their own. It would have to be something bigger...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Warringer

How about an AI that has 'Hate' written in any piece of its code?

HRogge

blackaeronaut Wrote:I like this. Can you imagine if the MCP and Agatha Clay got together? Then again, maybe that has already happened and the result was Quatro.

Oddball thought: what would it take to get the Hacker Underspace to call an emergency convention? I know it'd have to be something major, like on the same scope of what happened in the anime feature film, Summer Wars.

I had a small piece of text about the Jenga cyberspace and its security design... which ended with the comment about a cyberspace attack against the base somewhere in 2017-2018... might fit into this context.

robkelk Wrote:Nah - the Underspace would handle that on their own. It would have to be something bigger...
No problem that cannot be solved with a layer of indirection...

the true evil mastermind is the one behind the MCP, which is stepping up cyberspace assaults on Fenspaces (maybe starting with CI, because Agatha Clay is involved ^^).
AI villains are, in my opinion, probably the easiest way to have a recurring nemesis. Even if you find the body, there are always the off-site tape backups.
Ebony the Black Dragon

HRogge

Ebony Wrote:AI villains are, in my opinion, probably the easiest way to have a recurring nemesis. Even if you find the body, there are always the off-site tape backups.
Yeah, thats true...

Warringer

Will they blame faulty copies when they fail time and again?
I just wonder about the longevity of what is, essentially, a hopped-up 30 year old UNIX install.
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:I'd give it until early 2038.
Maybe its an upgraded PDP10... these are 36 bit computers. Wink
HRogge Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:I'd give it until early 2038.
Maybe its an upgraded PDP10... these are 36 bit computers. Wink
I foresee the Hacker Underspace fixing that problem without telling anyone until it's done.
Ebony the Black Dragon

HRogge

Ebony Wrote:I foresee the Hacker Underspace fixing that problem without telling anyone until it's done.
If they ever get the chance to keep this hidden, they might do this. *nod*
I think Ebony was talking about the Epoch Bug, not the MCP. Not that they wouldn't try to quietly handle the MCP as well.