Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC] Fen-Dane Relations - Germany
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Warringer

I thought I try my hand on this. :p
Quote:=== Germany ===
''Neutral-to-Friendly, mixed''
The relations of the German government with Fenspace is best described as being pragmatic. With several smaller groups in Fenspace having closer ties to their homeland then others, combined with a relatively good initial press for Fenspace, the Government tends to largely ignore what is going on in Fenspace ever since signing the Kandor Treaty and taking their sweet time to make new laws.
While access to Handwavium is restricted to the Max Plank Institute for Exotic Materials and the Bundesnachrichtendienst, 'waved items only need a license to own. In most cases this license is easily obtained, safe for items that may be used as weapon.
With a small space port in the Ruhr Area Germany can be easily accessed from Fenspace, through fen are advised to get the correct permissions for a landing and a reasonable flight plan before trying to land there. Generally it is only needed to file the request two days before the targeted date with the German Air Control.
One reason for the more pragmatic approach of Germany to Fenspace is a good going export of German goods into Febspace, as Germany generally keeps good relations with trade partners.
Main export articles are beer, various machinery, beer, tools, various alcohols (including beer) and beer.
Looks good.

Hmm... spaceport, unrestricted autobahn... 600kph-capable motorcycle. Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Warringer

Since that space port is in the Ruhr Area... Good luck finding an autobahn without a traffic jam. :p
In most cases this license is easily obtained, safe for items that may be used as weapon.

Recommend replacing safe with save, but except would be a much better and clearer word choice

With a small space port in the Ruhr Area Germany can be easily accessed from Fenspace, through fen are advised to get the correct permissions for a landing and a reasonable flight plan before trying to land there. Generally it is only needed to file the request two days before the targeted date with the German Air Control.

I personally would recommend a complete rewrite of this paragraph.

"There is a small space port facility in the Ruhr area of Germany; however fen are strongly advised to contact German Air Control at least 48 hours in advance. This allows sufficient time for all paperwork to be filled out and filed and a flight plan generated that minimizes the risk of accidental 'waveium contamination of the population at large. This is not to say that this is a cast iron requirement for using the field, however your reception will be much less cordial if you fail to 'phone ahead'."

One reason for the more pragmatic approach of Germany to Fenspace is a good going export of German goods into Febspace, as Germany generally keeps good relations with trade partners.

"A strong ongoing trade of German goods into fenspace and a return flow of harder to find raw materials of all sorts"
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Warringer

Your rewrites sound better...

HRogge

Like I said in the IRC, nice work...

Warringer

The changes suggested by Star Ranger4:

The relations of the German government with Fenspace is best described as being pragmatic. With several smaller groups in Fenspace having closer ties to their homeland then others, combined with a relatively good initial press for Fenspace, the Government tends to largely ignore what is going on in Fenspace ever since signing the Kandor Treaty and taking their sweet time to make new laws.

While access to Handwavium is restricted to the Max Plank Institute for Exotic Materials and the Bundesnachrichtendienst, 'waved items only need a license to own. In most cases this license is easily obtained, except for items that may be used as weapon.

There is a small space port facility in the Ruhr area of Germany; however fen are strongly advised to contact German Air Control at least 48 hours in advance. This allows sufficient time for all paperwork to be filled out and filed and a flight plan generated that minimizes the risk of accidental 'waveium contamination of the population at large. This is not to say that this is a cast iron requirement for using the field, however your reception will be much less cordial if you fail to 'phone ahead'.

One reason for the more pragmatic approach of Germany to Fenspace is a strong ongoing trade of German goods into fenspace and a return flow of harder to find raw materials of all sorts.

Main export articles are beer, various machinery, beer, tools, various alcohols (including beer) and beer.
Dartz Wrote:Looks good.

Hmm... spaceport, unrestricted autobahn... 600kph-capable motorcycle. Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but doesn't The Stig have a party to attend that weekend?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I suggest adding beer to the exports.

...Okay, lederhosen.

Nice writeup, I suspect that by the time you read this, it'll already be on the wiki.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
KINDER EGGS! (^0^)V Those things are awesome.
"In Heaven, there is no beer,
Which is why we drink it down here.
And when we are gone from here,
Our friends will be drinking our beer."
-- Traditional Drinking Song
"... the greedy bastards."
-- Blackstone's default postscript to aforementioned traditional drinking song
-------------
On a slighly more relvant note, does relations with Ramstein AFB need to be mentioned. While the USAF might not have more than a friendly rivalry with the flying cars sharing German airspace, you can bet that Ramstein will get a bit "spookier" with all the CIA crawling around, eavesdropping on activity in the Ruhr area.
"... and I'd like to thank the CIA for joining us on this conference call. If y'all want to chime in with your usual silence, we can get his meeting of the Secret Conspiracy rolling...." -- Blackstone's default greeting during conference calls
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Warringer

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I suggest adding beer to the exports.

...Okay, lederhosen.

Nice writeup, I suspect that by the time you read this, it'll already be on the wiki.
Hmmm... Can't imagine why I forgot about the Beer...
I think I corrected it now.

The relations of the German government with Fenspace is best described
as being pragmatic. With several smaller groups in Fenspace having
closer ties to their homeland then others, combined with a relatively
good initial press for Fenspace, the Government tends to largely ignore
what is going on in Fenspace ever since signing the Kandor Treaty and
taking their sweet time to make new laws.

While access to Handwavium is restricted to the Max Plank Institute for
Exotic Materials and the Bundesnachrichtendienst, 'waved items only need
a license to own. In most cases this license is easily obtained, except
for items that may be used as weapon. Biomods are not presenting much of a problem, however larger parts of the population will show negative reactions to the presence of an obvious biomod. This is largely due to the influence of the largest German 'newspaper'.

There is a small space port facility in the Ruhr area of Germany;
however fen are strongly advised to contact German Air Control at least
48 hours in advance. This allows sufficient time for all paperwork to be
filled out and filed and a flight plan generated that minimizes the
risk of accidental 'waveium contamination of the population at large.
This is not to say that this is a cast iron requirement for using the
field, however your reception will be much less cordial if you fail to
'phone ahead'.
On some days the 'Rhein Ruhr Space Port' is picketed by (for European standarts) far right and far left groups. In one or two cases fen where injured by the protesters. There is also an unusually high concentration of unmarked black vans parked close to the space port with absolutely no relations to the CIA or other intelligence agencies.
Of note are the relative high chances to be mock chased by US Air Force interceptors while flying near Rammstein AFB.

One reason for the more pragmatic approach of Germany to Fenspace is a
strong ongoing trade of German goods into fenspace and a return flow of
harder to find raw materials of all sorts.

lederhosen.

hmm... maybe...

perhaps there really IS a market, as after being waved they become LEADerhosen, as in they pick up lead's radioactive shielding properties without the blood poisoning aspects or the additional weight/stiffness. this would make them popular with those fen who worry about radiation hazards?

NO QUARTER!!!

HRogge

Hmm... not sure if this sounds right.

but if yes, they need a special "dialect" quirk. Wink
which would be that you always have a bad german movie accent while wearing them?

NO QUARTER!!!
Bob Schroeck Wrote:I suggest adding beer to the exports.

...Okay, lederhosen.

Sausage!

No, really. Given the lack of most meat products in Fenspace, a decent bratwurst or weisswurst would fetch its weight in... maybe not gold, but copper at the least. And there's a certain cachet to genuine German sausage.
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

I wonder if France is more annoyed about that Germany is trading with the Fen (the Professors friends!) or that Germany is making money with them and France is not. Wink
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Nice writeup, I suspect that by the time you read this, it'll already be on the wiki.

http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ns#Germany]You think?
--
Rob Kelk

Warringer

Sarco would be overcompensating and try to get a large space port build.

Only to have no one land there. What does France have to offer besides Bagettes and cheese. Okay, wine maybe...

Warringer

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Nice writeup, I suspect that by the time you read this, it'll already be on the wiki.

You think?
*shakes a fist*
Hey, I wanted to add it...
:p
Warringer Wrote:Sarco would be overcompensating and try to get a large space port build.

I want to be the largest spaceport instead of the largest spaceport!

A man of his stature? I can certainly see him straining to reach new heights.

Warringer

*gets hit over the head with the Iznogoud reference*

Ouch...
Quote:perhaps there really IS a market, as after being waved they become LEADerhosen
Or maybe they become Liederhosen, which compel you to sing while you wear them.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Warringer

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:perhaps there really IS a market, as after being waved they become LEADerhosen
I would think that being forced to sing bad Volksmusik may be considered Joker-ish...

HRogge

Warringer Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
I would think that being forced to sing bad Volksmusik may be considered Joker-ish...
Especially if you are forced to sing it in a Bavarian dialect.
Pages: 1 2