Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: TVTropes Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A long time ago I put Fenspace on TV Tropes' "Unclassified" Fanfic Recommendations page.  Recently, someone has added a link for readers to submit reviews of Fenspace, either individual stories or as a whole.
Now I'm not saying people should go post something.  But it seems to me that this is a new way to promote Fenspace and the Fenwiki, by citing your favorite pieces.  And maybe we'll eventually merit a tropes page of our own.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
(I can't believe I'm saying this, but.)

I have... misgivings about advertising on TV Tropes. I don't like that website's effect on fan media they endorse: I'm convinced that tropers and their all-consuming focus on LOLAWESUM, monkey cheese bullshit and getting tropes namechecked have pretty well ruined Nobody Dies, among other projects.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get more eyeballs on Fenspace, but at what cost?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I would agree with Mal on this one. While yes, getting the references for readers would be nice, given our open writing setup, and that there is a certain thrill with the idea of getting mentioned on a wiki anywhere... while I don't believe I'd fall into the trap of trying to get trope mentions, we'd get people in who would, and there is the slight chance an existing writer in the group would fall into it themselves.

I want to stay like Something Positive... not turn into another Sluggy Freelance.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Fair enough.

And you know, you might be able to lay a lot of that at my feet. I'm one of the first tropers, if not the first troper, to include fanworks among the things the wiki examined.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
To quote a certain character in the Scottish Play, "what's done cannot be undone." The mention of Fenspace has been on TVTropes for quite a while, and we haven't suffered from it yet.

Also, we write the kinds of stories that we want to read - we don't pander to the audience. [size=smaller](I suspect that this is why we actually have an audience that tolerates the writing delays that we're all guilty of - Legend of Galactic Girls, Mr. Fnord Goes to Washington, Disturbing Implications of Land Rising Into the Sky, Buckaroo Banzai and the Terror from the Shadows, etc, etc, etc...)[/size] We shouldn't need to worry about pandering to the TVTropes audience.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
It's a double edged sword really. I posted some Jet-stuff on Spacebattles and got some nice messages. People definitely were reading it there, even being conservative. I posted stories in a few places, but not gotten many reviews on them. Fenspace is in my Sig on most forums I'm on. That's the same risk I take no matter where I post things... is that either we'll attract someone we don't like, or draw negative attention somehow.

I think it's worth the risk.

But then again, it'd probably be better to write up the page for the setting first, before reviewing it.