Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC] A thought: Disney vs. Biomods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a stray thought that came to me while I was posting in the Occupy thread a few moments ago.

Disney Corp. and Disney's World boast "All of the magic and none of the danger", and make a point of having no handwavium in any of their installations.

Does that extend to Fen with biomods?  Is Disney doing all its hiring from Earth and those Fen who can prove they're not modded?  And what kind of reaction would that prompt in other Fen?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Depends. If you mean CM's then... well, you could argue that one both ways, really. On the one hand they have the right to hire who they want, as long as they're not breaking any laws. Nor are biomods 'contagious'. However, I could easily see them not hiring biomods because of public perception until/unless someone filed a legal challenge.

As far as Guests? while they have a right not to sell admission to anyone, I'd say that if they tried to make an issue of it they'd wind up with a bloody nose, legally speaking.

However, given how loosely governed/regulated Fenspace is; do we really want to open a can of worms of just how do fen resolve legal disputes?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
For a moment, I thought the thread would be about Disney sueing people who received Disney-based biomods for trademark and copyright violations.

Generally, the best pressure Fenspace can apply is to not play with them at all and refuse to do business with them, rather than anything outright legal. If they insist on hiring-non-mods or limiting entry to 'clean' people, then sure, hasn't everything we've touched also been rendered unclean?

Which forces Disney to source everything from down below, by themselves.

HRogge

Is "Disney World" part of Fenspace jurisdiction or US jurisdiction?
Fenspace, I believe. We have much more lenient laws, and no tax code to speak of (that I am aware of anyhow).
Dartz Wrote:For a moment, I thought the thread would be about Disney sueing people who received Disney-based biomods for trademark and copyright violations.
They might try, but the most obvious Disney-biomods are the A-Team – part of the Roughriders.

HRogge Wrote:Is "Disney World" part of Fenspace jurisdiction or US jurisdiction?
I listed Disney's World as a Corporate State, and (as far as I know) there aren't any of those in the 'Danelaw, so ...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012