Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Questions for a new project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm working on a little story about a 13-year-old fenkinder girl who goes through a Disneyesque/Home Alone-like adventure on one of the Crystal Cities, captures a couple of incompetent zwilniks, and gets a Sailor title as a reward.  Story date is kind of locked by several necessities to middle June 2012.
I have several questions above and beyond what I can find in the Fenwiki.
First off, I need a Crystal City that preferably has an incomplete segment in June '12, or failing that, a goodly sized "mechanical" area where a couple of zwilniks (whom you may imagine as being played by Joe Pesce and Daniel Stern, if you like) can hide, camp and run a small operation.  The zone has to be big enough for a 12-year-old to get lost in.  Is there an ideal choice, or can I just pick a city at random?
Second, I'd like to give Our Heroine an extra piece of swag at the end:  a henshin wand.  In other words, a handwaved costume-changing gadget, which does nothing but swap whatever she's wearing for a seifuku, or back again.  It might be a prototype, or a one-off gadget; it'll probably have at least one quirk along the lines of "only works for teenaged girls".
Third, is there a canonical youngest "named" Sailor yet?  (I ask because I'd like to give the honor to Our Heroine if no one already has it.)
And finally, will this break anyone's plot or cool?
Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:First off, I need a Crystal City that preferably has an incomplete segment in June '12, or failing that, a goodly sized "mechanical" area where a couple of zwilniks (whom you may imagine as being played by Joe Pesce and Daniel Stern, if you like) can hide, camp and run a small operation.  The zone has to be big enough for a 12-year-old to get lost in.  Is there an ideal choice, or can I just pick a city at random?
Crystal Tokyo is pretty much "completed" by June 2012, so it wouldn't be suitable here.

Crystal Paris has the drydocks, and Crystal Titusville has the oil refineries - those might be too big a hiding place, though. Crystal Sapporo has some breweries...

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Second, I'd like to give Our Heroine an extra piece of swag at the end:  a henshin wand.  In other words, a handwaved costume-changing gadget, which does nothing but swap whatever she's wearing for a seifuku, or back again.  It might be a prototype, or a one-off gadget; it'll probably have at least one quirk along the lines of "only works for teenaged girls".
Nifty. I recall the Jason and the Trekkies working on holodeck technology; maybe this is one of their earlier prototypes?

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Third, is there a canonical youngest "named" Sailor yet?  (I ask because I'd like to give the honor to Our Heroine if no one already has it.)
Not yet. (Technically, Yayoi is the youngest, being a four-year-old AI at the time, but nobody knows that in May 2012, and she looks and acts like someone in her early-to-mid-twenties anyway.)

Bob Schroeck Wrote:And finally, will this break anyone's plot or cool?
Not mine...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:Crystal Tokyo is pretty much "completed" by June 2012, so it wouldn't be suitable here.

Crystal Paris has the drydocks, and Crystal Titusville has the oil refineries - those might be too big a hiding place, though. Crystal Sapporo has some breweries...
What about the others? The wiki article mentions eleven cities, but only names and describes six... Maybe I can make up my own, building it to spec for the story.

Hm. Crystal New Orleans. Crystal Mumbai. Crystal Memphis. Crystal London...
-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Crystal Tokyo is pretty much "completed" by June 2012, so it wouldn't be suitable here.

What about the others? The wiki article mentions eleven cities, but only names and describes six... Maybe I can make up my own, building it to spec for the story.

Hm. Crystal New Orleans. Crystal Mumbai. Crystal Memphis. Crystal London...
I would have sworn I at least named the other five... (goes and looks) ...yes, I did.

On the FenWiki, robkelk Wrote: The "Japan Cluster"
  • Crystal Hiroshima
    • Crystal Hiroshima Hospital
    • Sailor Armed Militia headquarters
  • Crystal Kyoto
  • Crystal Sapporo
    • one of the most noted breweries in Fenspace
  • Crystal Osaka (destroyed in January 2013, during Operation Great Justice anti-zwilnick activity)
    • genetic engineering base for the Venus Terraforming Project
  • Crystal Tokyo (a.k.a. Castle Magellan)
    • Capital of the Crystal Millennium
The "Europe Cluster"

(Roughly 120 degrees west of the Japan Cluster)
  • Crystal Moscow
  • Crystal Paris
    • primary Senshi drydock
  • Crystal Venice

The "Americas Cluster"

(Roughly 120 degrees east of the Japan Cluster)
  • Crystal Rio
  • Crystal Seattle
  • Crystal Titusville
    • hydrocarbon extraction and refining plants

Of those, Crystal Moscow, Crystal Venice, and Crystal Rio don't have any background at all...
--
Rob Kelk

Mm. I was looking at... hm. I can't figure out what page I was looking at, but it wasn't Venus. I note that the Crystal Millennium index box only shows eight (not six) cities; maybe I got it from there...
-- Bob
---------
Maybe - the three I listed above don't have pages, so they aren't in the index box.
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, yes - I now remember that I picked "Crystal Venice" as one of the Europe Cluster cities while I was re-watching Aria. There may be a connection there... Either way, maybe that's where the Cytherian gondoliers are to be found?

Edit: We've already put Aria Company on Titan and Orange Planet on Mars (in Helium) - that leaves Himeya unaccounted for... and those impractical high-heeled shoes the Himeya gondoliers wear fit in well with those impractical high-heeled shoes many Senshi wear.
--
Rob Kelk

Maybe we can do a Crystal San Antonio - it would be still largely under construction at that time period as construction started early 2011. Nobody knows for sure, but some people say it's because of the Queen's fondness for a certain hotblooded Texan that saved her life. Wink

Also, it would serve as primarily an agriculture colony, as well as a barracks for the Sammies - the actual training facilities (boot camp) aren't complete yet. (This would be a shout-out to Lackland AFB, which has the USAF's enlisted recruit training facility.)

And no, this doesn't mess with my cool at all. In fact, this has all kinds of awesome written all over it.
Maybe not for 2011 - they stopped construction of Crystal Cities because they didn't have enough people to live in them, not because they were running out of raw materials.

But if there's a population boom, that's on the list...
--
Rob Kelk

I'd best get off my butt and write the damned thing, then...

First I'd better decide which city, though...
-- Bob
---------