Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Some thoughts on the "Infobox company"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HRogge

I just looked through the infobox company (which has been imported from Wikipedia I think), and I think we can do better for Fenspace:

Quote:{{Infobox company
| name =
| logo =
| caption =
| type =
| traded_as =
| genre =
| fate =
| predecessor =
| successor =
| foundation =
| founder =
| defunct =
| location_city =
| location_country =
| location =
| locations =
| area_served =
| key_people =
| industry =
| products =
| services =
| revenue =
| operating_income =
| net_income =
| aum =
| assets =
| equity =
| owner =
| num_employees =
| parent =
| divisions =
| subsid =
| homepage =
| footnotes =
| intl =
}}

I think we should get rid of the following points:
| revenue =
| operating_income =
| net_income =
| aum =
| assets =
| equity =

Fenspace economics only work with lots of handwaving, better keep people from inserting numbers.

The four "location" entries could be compacted into a single "location" entry. No need to overcomplicate it.

In addition to this I think adding entries for "allies" and "enemies", as would be a point for "stereotypes" (similar to the faction infobox). A "Official languages" might be good too, especially for independent companies.

What do you think ?
Makes sense. Many Factions and subfactions are companies, after all. (Well, maybe not many, but Stellvia is a very very prominent example. Many would call Catgirl Industries a subfaction of the Furries, and it's also a company by my reckoning.)
Companies don't really have "allies" and "enemies" – they have "customers" and "suppliers" and "competitors" instead. People have allies and enemies.

And I don't know the template code well enough to be confident messing with it. Just leave the unused fields blank.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:Companies don't really have "allies" and "enemies" – they have "customers" and "suppliers" and "competitors" instead. People have allies and enemies.
Companies are made of people. Would you say that the Roughriders (which are a "security company") do not have allies they would call in need?

Quote:And I don't know the template code well enough to be confident messing with it. Just leave the unused fields blank.
I will have a look at the code.
HRogge Wrote:Companies are made of people. Would you say that the Roughriders (which are a "security company") do not have allies they would call in need?
I'd say that Ben and Gina have allies they can call when needed.

Companies have to be careful to avoid antagonizing anyone who might be a customer or a supplier someday. Drive away the people who you might do business with, and you end up having nobody to do business with.

HRogge Wrote:I will have a look at the code.
Please be careful that you don't break anything.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012