Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Charities in Fenspace (or elsewhere)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A thought I had: Are there any charities in Fenspace, or do the Fen just work with the 'Dane ones?

Warringer

Well... There are the Blue Blazers and Nikaido Foundation.
International Rescue doesnt charge for its services either, though they really can be lumped under their secret parent organization of the Blue Blazers
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
The Sammies don't charge for their Search and Rescue operations. (In fact, they pay International Rescue rent for the Sammie base on Thunderbird 5.)

And... that's about it for known Fen-specific charities.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I can see the Salvation Army establishing a foothold in Fenspace on general principles. Others?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

HRogge

I think most Fen are prepared to help each other if directly necessary, otherwise they would never survived the first years.
the Red Cross probably also provides charitable support in fenspace. I'm willing to bet that they effectively contract the Blazers and Sammies for most of the transport/manpower/whatever for the actual operations outside the atmosphere though
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Warringer

I can also see fen working for the Red Cross because they worked for the Red Cross before as well... Actually transporting the Red Cross into Fenspace without actually being told to do so.
robkelk Wrote:The Sammies don't charge for their Search and Rescue operations. (In fact, they pay International Rescue rent for the Sammie base on Thunderbird 5.)

And... that's about it for known Fen-specific charities.

Calling themselves the Royal Venus Lifeboat Institute, or something similar?
The Sammies are very much influenced by the "Age of Sail" Fen, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Sailor Armed Militia includes a Royal Venus Lifeboat Institute (with Serenity I its honourary chair)... but nobody's mentioned them yet.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:the Red Cross probably also provides charitable support in fenspace.
Oh, duh, of course it does. I should have thought of them, too. And as Warringer says, it was probably former members who started acting as a de facto branch that brought the real thing in.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I'm not sure whether or not there would be any Free Geeks in Fenspace: on the one hand, 'waved computers might be even more hazardous as waste than hardtech computers. On the other, they would definitely be several orders of magnitude more difficult to recycle. The "education and empowerment" part of the Free Geek mission would also probably be redundant: not many people are Up without having a computer and knowing how to use it.
Given that Handwavium tends to also, erm, handwave away any potential obsolescence issues with computers, I'd think needing to recycle them is somewhat moot. Wink
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Besides, TelecomPioneers does more computer recycling than FreeGeeks does. At least, they do around here, where FreeGeeks is virtually unknown but the TelecomPioneers "Computers for Schools" program is everywhere.

(Being a group with a wider focus, I'd think TelecomPioneers is more likely to be in Fenspace than FreeGeeks is anyway...)
--
Rob Kelk