Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Degrees in Fenspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a slightly more thought out idea, I've been trying to put together a list of Fen specific educational award/degrees for possible use in stories.

My current list:

Doctor of Cybernetics

Doctor of Biomodification

Doctor of Handwavium Engineering

Bachelor of Space Engineering

Bachelor of Unusual Biochemistry

Bachelor of Robotics

Bachelor of Xeno-Architecture

Bachelor of Artificial Intelligence

Bachelor of Transrational Science

Master of Unusual Sciences and Engineering

Any others people can think up?
If you haven't already, you might want to raid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GURPS_Illu ... University]GURPS Illuminati University for ideas.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
(checks the FenWiki)

The Vesta Institute of Robotics awards Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorates of Robotics; Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorates of Nanotechnology; and (in cooperation with the Vesta Institute of Biochemistry) Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorates of Cybernetics degrees, alongside the more prosaic degrees that they award.

They offer a minor in "History and Archaeology of the Sciences," but don't award degrees in that field.

Looking elsewhere, I see that the Vesta Institute of Biochemistry has projects devoted to handwavium control and paeleobiology, but don't award specific degrees in those fields...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Hm. Who has http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_edu ... reditation]accredited these institutions? Is there a Convention-recognized accreditation organization? Or are they accredited through Australia? Are their degrees recognized in the Danelaw? Universally, or by nation? (For instance, I could see the US, basically out of pique, refusing to recognize degrees from Fen institutions regardless of accreditation while Europe and Asia accept them.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I would take a counter position of while they are accepted, its only because the rest of the Dane community rammed it down their throats. Ergo, USA would only accept a Fen Degree if forced to, China would allow their 'wave phobia to tell the rest of the world "We're the central empire, the rest of you go to >explitive deleted
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Well, I know http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Technology]N.I.T. is getting some of their degrees accredited by the 'Danes. I suppose it depends on which course it is. Oxford and Cambridge may accredit the mathematics degrees due to a certain Super helping out a certain former Professor of said subject, but I can neither confirm or deny.

Fen specific degrees will probably need 'Dane institutions to first realise that 'No, we really are serious, that's the course, how else do you explain pre sliced bread?', then to agree the course needs to be seperate from another course before a trial run is done to their satisfaction and they accredit.

Although I see the need for a Fenspace Medical Board.
I hadn't given much thought to accreditation, actually.

(goes and looks in the FenWiki)

Nekomi Institute of Technology: "The Supers running this university are gradually getting their courses accredited by 'Daneside authorities, with the first full degrees due to finish in May 2014."

Greenwood University: "By 2014 it was operating as a Community College accredited to award Associate's degrees"

Starfleet Academy, the two Vesta Institutes: no comments on accreditation.

However, I-as-the-author consider Leda's degree to be valid, so VIB must be accredited somewhere... (goes and looks on Wikipedia) ...unless we're copying the UK and saying only a "university" has to be accredited while a higher education "Institute" or "Academy" does not.

And I see that the Council for Higher Education Accreditation can accredit a college without going through the U.S. Department of Education...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012