Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [meta?] [infinities?] This means something, but I don't know what.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe you guys can figure it out. I was kicking around some ideas on Operation Have Cake And Eat It, and this popped into my head:

Quote:The OV-200 in 2064

The venerable OV-200 series space shuttle remains in service in and around the Sol system and the nearer interstellar colonies. While the ships built before 2025 have largely been retired and largely donated to museums across known space[1], the newer generation of shuttles continue operating much as they always have done. Overshadowed by the newer OV-400 and -500 series explorers and utility spacecraft[2] in recent years, the 200 series remains one of the top performers in Fenspace and a shining reminder of the early pioneer years.

While the original 200 series ships were largely scientific research vessels, most of the shuttle's modern work is related to support and supply missions for stations and colonies on the fringe. Out of the 55 OV-200s still in operation today, only one (OV-276 AFSC Ibn Battuta) continues to work as a first-in explorer. All the rest have been moved off the front lines to a support role. A few shuttles operate as high-end VIP transports: the oldest 200 series still flying (OV-206 SC Daedalus) started life as a personal yacht for a Lagrange millionaire and eventually became an exclusive charter tour ship.

Experts believe that the 200 series will continue to fly through 2100, if only as living museums, show displays and private bush spacecraft.

[1] To name a few: OV-201 USS Enterprise is on display at the Starfleet Museum; the Ackermanian Institution has multiple OV-200s both on display and in storage; the Museum of Martian History proudly displays OV-213-A PKGS Melchizedek; OV-215 AFSC Duyfken was donated to the NEMO Science Center in Amsterdam upon retirement.

[2] The OV-300 was a strictly notational vehicle, built in server farms in Utopia Planitia, Hephaestus and Black Mesa as a way to work out improvements in the shuttle design and test revolutionary new concepts that would eventually go into the physical 400 and 500 series. The OV-400 series is the practical heir to the shuttle legacy, a large (100m) utility vehicle, while the OV-500 series is the spiritual heir, a larger (~200m) deep space exploration craft. Both vehicles take design inspiration from Matt Jeffries' http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/index.html]Lief Ericson
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
It means you want to push the "now" of Fenspace forward quite a bit...

Continuing in that vein:
Quote:The OV-100 in 2064

One would expect the remaining ships from the original hardtech Shuttle fleet would have been grounded long ago. While OV-104 Atlantis and OV-105 Endeavour have indeed been retired[3] and put on display at the Handwavium Propulsion Laboratory on 2709 Sagan and Stellvia Corporation Headquarters on 704 Interamnia, respectively, OV-103 Discovery remains in service – still flying and still carrying out scientific experiments, but now based out her private hangar on 2579 Spartacus. Discovery was always the hardest-working original Shuttle, and the experts at the Vesta Institute of Handwavium Studies believe her wavejob reinforced her hull along with that part of her history; "Dizzy" shows no signs of slowing down any time soon.

[3] The spaceframes only; their AIs have been moved into OV-500 series ships with the same names.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Riffing off of that, 'cos why not?

Quote:The de-facto matriarch of the space shuttle fleet USSR Ptichka remains in service with the Sozvezdie Soviet Red Banner Fleet (Starfleet 2nd Fleet)[4] - though with a twist. While the original Buran 1.02 airframe remains intact, and seemingly as indestructible as Discovery, Ptichka's capabilities as a long-range explorer are too limited for current Starfleet operations. When the 500 series spacecraft came online, a novel solution to the problem was devised: The first craft off the line (OV-500 USSR Ptichka, or Ptichka II depending on who you ask) was extensively modified after the initial shakedown, most of the changes in the cargo/smallcraft bay to accomodate a ship the size of a 100 series shuttle. The original Ptichka was then installed in OV-500's bay, allowing the older craft's AI core to interface and assume direct control over the newer craft's systems. As one observer put it, "we've built the first mobile suit for a space shuttle.[5]"

[4] There's only so many times you can see the word 'fleet' in close succession before it starts to lose meaning. Just sayin'.
[5] Utopia engineers have offered to build another modified 500 series hull for Discovery, but Dizzy finds the idea just a little too silly for her taste.

I can't help but think some Warsies or other anti-Fed/VVS types would call Ptichka II "the birdcage"...
--
Rob Kelk

That is silly. I can't help but think that it would've made more sense to simply rig up a mount point/data connection on Ptichka's and OV-500's bellies and mount them together face to face for long-range missions. Perhaps call OV-500 Wren's Eagle. (The Wren is considered the King of birds. When the birds held a contest to determine who would be their ruler, they decided that their king should be the one to fly the highest. Almost every bird tried valiantly, and the Eagle reached the highest point. But the Wren was so small that he hid on the Eagle's back without his noticing Wren's weight, and when the Eagle reached his highest point, the Wren flew up from the Eagle's back, going higher and thus winning the crown.)

On the other hand, silly isn't necessarily a bad thing, and thinking about it, the "Wren's Eagle" setup implies that Eagle is a separate entity in grudging service to Ptichka. Maybe OV-500 is Wren's Eagle, who sued for independence, resulting in the "Mobile Suit Ptichka" setup above but with a later OV-number. Eagle is still willing to act as transport for Ptichka's Buran self if the mobile suit is down for maintenance or whatever and they're going the same way, but otherwise insists on acting independently.

On the gripping hand, it's entirely possible that the folks at VVS foresaw the problems with the "Wren's Eagle" arrangement and decided to skip it entirely, leaving us with Mal's original plan.
So, are the designs exclusive to any one contractor, or can BAT crank out their own OV-x00 series ships? (I can see competitions being held to see who can build the best ship while staying within the specifications. It'd be a little like stock cars in that regard, but the competition itself would probably play out more like an Olympic decathlon.)
A bit of dialogue that I may regret. Once again, not sure what this means, but it means something. Maybe you guys can figure it out:

Quote:"So, you guys are from Earth? As in, there's another Earth out there?"

"Seventeen other Earths that we've found, including ours, actually. Yours makes number eighteen. And all the various extradimensional Earths, of course, but I don't think we should count those."

"Huh."

... Okay, who left the Cookie-Cutter of the Gods out again? Wink
...and who let Gene Roddenberry play with it -- again?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I call Overzealous Translation. Most cultures capable of imagining space travel call their planet of origin by a synonym for "soil" or "ground".

Of course, that's a significantly more boring interpretation, easily circumvented by having the various Earths be near-exact duplicates.
Proginoskes Wrote:I call Overzealous Translation. Most cultures capable of imagining space travel call their planet of origin by a synonym for "soil" or "ground".
"We come from Planet Dirt."

(Of course, there is at least http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Word_f ... _Is_Forest]one exception...)
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Quote:http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2006-08-16
And here is one called "wet" Wink
Following up on that last bit:

Quote:"So, if there's so many Earths out there... which one's the real one?"

"Weeellllll..." Yori scratched her head nervously. "That's kind of a sticky question."

"Sticky, great. How sticky?"

"Obviously, we wanna say that our Earth's the original, and you wanna say your Earth's the original, right? Well, right now our best guess is 'neither.'"

"... Okay, I admit I was not expecting that, but the question still stands: which one's the original?"

"We don't know about original, but the oldest one we've found so far nuked itself into oblivion sometime in the 1970s..."

"That's not that far back for either of us."

"Yeah, except that for them, the 1970s were about a million years ago."

"I know the feeling, the 70s seem like a million years ago to me too."

Yori shook her head. "No, I mean a real million years ago."

"The 1970s."

"Yep."

"A million years ago?"

"Uhhuh."

"And you know this because...?"

"Radiocarbon dating and some very durable public art."