Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Exocomp Racing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HRogge

Something I wrote up for fun... looking forward to hear an opinion about it. Smile
#####################

»We didn’t do it to create a new sport or as advertisement for CI... we did it just for fun. If others like to watch, why not publish it here?«
- Niaka of Jenga, commenting the latest Exocomp Racing video on Youtube

»No sir, we cannot just remove it from Youtube. You only own the patent for catgirls doing racing sports in Anime, this is a real life event.«
- Google lawyer responding to a Youtube takedown notice in 2018

History

Exocomp racing started as a crazy hobby even before the Exocomps at Catgirl Industries woke up. A few catgirls had the idea to mount a saddle on their new companions and use them for racing inside the Jenga space station. They wrote a new piece of software for the Exocomps which allowed them to compensate for the mass and inertia of the catgirl on them and react to their movements.

The challenge of understanding their environment and the physics behind it combined with continued work of the catgirls with their patches was one of the facts that fueled the intelligence of the Exocomps. And quite a number of Exocomps liked the racing that much that they introduced the first obstacle courses to the game.

Soon after, Exocomp racing established itself as THE fun sport for speed oriented catgirls at Jenga.

During the early years of Catgirl Industries, Exocomp racing was done in the corridors of Jenga and through some empty modules, but when hardware updates allowed the Exocomps to reach higher speeds, it became clear that they had to give the racers more resources to get more space for their sport.

In 2018 a small group of Exocomps applied for joining the Wizards Quidditch league. After a long and repetitive discussion between the Wizards Ministry of Magical Games and Sports and the existing Quidditch league members they were voted down, based on the fact that an Exocomp was too different from a broom and had the wrong control handles. Still, the Youtube video of the privately organized Quidditch game between the Chudley Cannons and the catgirls became one of the most watched sports video for a few months.

One year later, in 2019, Jenga finished their first Exocomp racing track, a series of sixteen Modules that could be used by the racers to build an ever changing track. Hordes of Exocomps and catgirls regularly visiting the track to watch the races, help to build new challenging obstacles and spend a few hours racing themselves. Some of the larger racing competitions are streamed on Youtube.

Variants

The most simple variant of Exocomp racing is a pure speed race, where a group of catgirls and Exocomps try to cover multiple laps on a track as fast as possible. Because Jenga has a gravity field of its own for most of its Modules, this can involve quite a lot of curves in all three dimensions.

The idea of having a lot of curves for more challenging racing tracks lead to the creation of obstacle tracks, where agility and quick thinking become a lot more important that raw speed. Narrow gaps are just the easiest variant, some of the obstacles involve moving parts or looking like the flight through the second Death Star.

The newest variant is called ‘Action’ Exocomp racing. In contrast to the other two variants, this one involves a lot of hologram technology and softball launchers to create fictional enemies that shoot all kind of energy bullets and obstacles at the players. The catgirls on the other side have a low powered laser pointer in hand which they can use to shoot back at their opponents. The more challenging variants of these games might look like arcade style shooters or bullet hell games like Touhou Project.

A few catgirls try to play Quidditch on their Exocomps, and despite some behaviour problems of the Exocomps it works quite well. Still, the Wizards ministry of Magical Sports and Gaming denies them playing an official game because of their different style of flying tool.

Exocomp Racing outside Catgirl Industries

Exocomp racing is still mostly a sport done by the catgirls of Catgirl Industries in 2020.

One reason for this is that the Trekkie variant of the Exocomps mount a different engine, that is not that flexible than the more expensive Mass Effect core used for the Exocomps at Jenga. Still, a number of other Fen have modded their own Exocomps with engine and control upgrades to try out this sport themselves.

Exocomp racing is mostly done by biomodded Fen, because of the homeostasis effect, which helps a lot to deal with minor accidents during racing. Other Fen have experimented with protective suits because of this, but the catgirls at Jenga say that its half as fun if you cannot feel the air rushing by.

The only permanent Exocomp racetrack outside the installations of Catgirl Industries is located on Frigga 77. Since 2019, groups of catgirls and Exocomps have regularly visited the asteroid to equip some of the tunnels with Mass Effect based variable gravity generators. The area is both used by the catgirls for racing and by the inhabitants of Frigga for some of their Survival Shot exercises.
It's always good to see new sports in Fenspace - I like finning in background details.

Don't forget to link to it from the Fen Sports page!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:It's always good to see new sports in Fenspace - I like finning in background details.
Me too... I will see if one day I get enough inspiration to write a story about the meeting with the Chudley Cannons. *grin*

Quote:Don't forget to link to it from the Fen Sports page!
Will not forget about it. *G*

I will keep the post here for a few days and then wikify it.
Did I say "finning in"? This has nothing to do with fish... I meant "filling in".

Oops.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge