Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: So you want to be a Rock Star?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally dug up the file with this in it, it's been sitting on a drive for a couple of years now. This is really just flavor. More setups have been put together since the initial "prototype", with the quirks varying slightly.
So you want to be a Rock Star?
Base Hardware: Handwaved Xbox 360, with handwaved media and controllers
The "Rock Star" system is the result of the dissatisfaction of Jeph and Myk in not being able to play their favorite songs in Rock Band without spending a lot of time programming them into the game. While the two of them have taken great pains to keep their game console collections free of 'wave, they decided that the risks were worth the potential payoff. After considering the three potential candidates for the project, they chose the Xbox 360 for the highest potential of 'livable' quirks. The system was revealed at the 2013 Convention at Serenity Valley, and has quickly become a late night party staple. It can take a CD, copy one or more songs from it, and create a game playable track inside of ten minutes, including graded difficulties for the songs. It also introduced the "Nightmare" difficulty above Expert, halving the effective grace for missing notes in the song.
In addition, it can accept additional instruments dipped in the same batch of goop. So far, Jeph and Myk have added a cowbell and accordion to the initial five instruments.
Quirks
Don't copy that floppy: The system won't take in songs that are not on factory stamped media. Jeph and Myk are attempting to make a rig to create one-off stamped audio media, but it's not clear if this will be a solution.
MOSH PIT!!: Stage antics will lower the effective difficulty of songs played. Simply 'moving to the beat' will drop it one level... Peter Townsend windmilling and lunatic dancing across the stage or other such amusements can drop a Nightmare difficulty down to easy in a real hurry. It also works in the opposite direction... any attempt to use the setup without having it set up on a stage or fascimile (even a one stair riser will do in a pinch) will force everyone to play at Nightmare difficulty regardless of their settings or attempted stage antics.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
BWA-HA-HA!!! This... This is full of Win.
EDIT: Fun thought: would Ben rocking out his 'Claw' drop the difficulty level in and of itself?
The only question I must ask is... Does it support players who choose 'shades' as their 'instrument'?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Shades players don't get their own score, but their very presence counts as Antics for everyone else on stage.
Quote:Don't copy that floppy: The system won't take in songs that are not on factory stamped media. Jeph and Myk are attempting to make a rig to create one-off stamped audio media, but it's not clear if this will be a solution.

As good an excuse as any to hunt down the original Bubblegum Crisis soundtracks.

@proginoskes: That would probably be context dependent. And the shades would have to have been treated in the same batch of goop to get it.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
JFerio Wrote:@blackaeronaut: It would probably depend on how the Claw is used. Just activating it, not likely. If it can be done as devil horns during someone's solo, then it might. [Image: banana-dance.gif]
Oh no... I was thinking more along the lines of combined performance and antics...  For example, Ben takes the stage, activates his arm, and then, as he picks up his instrument, he busts out the whole Domon Kasshu speech:
Quote:This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's loud roar tells me
to defeat you! Take this! My love! My anger! And all of my sorrow!
Erupting... Burning... FINGER!
Blows a shell bullet charge and uses it to go effin' insan-o on his guitar.
blackaeronaut Wrote:Oh no... I was thinking more along the lines of combined performance and antics...  For example, Ben takes the stage, activates his arm, and then, as he picks up his instrument, he busts out the whole Domon Kasshu speech:
Quote:This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's loud roar tells me
to defeat you! Take this! My love! My anger! And all of my sorrow!
Erupting... Burning... FINGER!
Blows a shell bullet charge and uses it to go effin' insan-o on his guitar.
Probably for only one or at most, two, songs, then it'll take additional antics.
For another example, a drummer tying their left hand behind their back can, if they're good enough to pull it off, offset the handicap with the stage antic of doing so... but only for Def Leppard songs.
Anything with Weird Al requires wearing an appropriate costume... so doing Fat requires a fat suit for the singer, and worse, it requires coordination of all the members when the singer jumps...
--

JFerio Wrote:Probably for only one or at most, two, songs, then it'll take additional antics.
Of course.  I wouldn't dream of pushing it any further than one or two songs.  Smile
Quote:Don't copy that floppy: The system won't take in songs that are not on factory stamped media. Jeph and Myk are attempting to make a rig to create one-off stamped audio media, but it's not clear if this will be a solution.
Dartz Wrote:As good an excuse as any to hunt down the original Bubblegum Crisis soundtracks.
If the rig makes one-off copies, then Noah will lend his set for copying. (At reasonable rates... say, a copy of the base hardware for Stellvia...)

If the rig stamps the originals, then you'll have to find another set...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:
Dartz Wrote:As good an excuse as any to hunt down the original Bubblegum Crisis soundtracks.

If the rig makes one-off copies, then Noah will lend his set for copying. (At reasonable rates... say, a copy of the base hardware for Stellvia...)

If the rig stamps the originals, then you'll have to find another set...
The principal issue is that it pretty much spits out anything that was burned to CD-R/DVDR... there are suspicions it has to do with the console's anti-piracy measures that they didn't disable via hardtech before 'waving the system, but one effort to duplicate the setup with that done failed spectacularly badly.
Most of the effort with making a setup that creates "factory style stamped media" is creating the one use master, without handwavium involved, that leaves the "original" intact... and the chance that the system might not accept even that if the music was in a digital file to begin with. The effort is proving a lot more expensive than was anticipated, compared to the original setup.
If they get it to work, they'll gladly accept the Stellvia library in exchange for building a setup for the station.
--

Quote:The system was revealed at the 2014 Convention at Serenity Valley
Don't you mean 2013? The 2014 Con is at Alphaville, 74 Galatea.
OK, fixed. Smile
--