Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Fluff] The Ravenmoon Tarot Deck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Eight is quite obviously the eight non-"minor" planets, in their orbits, as a starship departs the system.

Nine would be someone holding the entire solar system in their cupped hands.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(Thought on suits: 'planets' instead of 'cups'?)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Bump.

Still working on Cups (and, after that, Staves). Added a Knight; left Nine blank for now. Text in italics is placeholder and guide for nonexistent entries.

(And I still want to add the Hacker Underspace as a group somewhere, but I still don't know where... although they might be better in Staves, come to think of it.)

Ace: A crystal chalice filled with handwavium.

Two: The Lovers (Ben and Gina), toasting the opening of their base on 36 Atalantae.

Three: The virtual avatars of Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour standing in front of an unidentified Space Shuttle's main engine block.

Four: __________ A young man sits under a tree. One thinks of Buddha under the bodhi tree, sitting crosslegged, but this youth is not serene. He seems dissatisfied with the three cups before him. A hand from a cloud offers him a fourth cup, but the youth shows no interest. It indicates a period of ennui and boredom, where nothing seems to be satisfying.

Five: The administrator of Island One gazing forlornly at three empty cups, while two people from the Chicken Ranch sip from two other half-full cups behind him.

Six: __________ Two youths play in a garden, surrounded by six cups. This card can indicate happy memories, as well as a certain clinging to the past and how things used to be. It can also indicate an invitation or gift coming from someone in your past.

Seven: Members of the Ministry of Magic, debating which cup to partake of while showing signs of thirst.

Eight: A starship departs the Sol system, with the eight non-"minor" planets, in their orbits, in the background.

Nine: __________ This is known as the "wish" card. A well fed, self satisfied individual sits with nine cups behind. It indicates a table of plenty and getting everything you desire. It is the wish card, meaning your wish will come true.

Ten: __________ A husband and wife join arms looking up at the rainbow over their house. Two young children dance. Ten cups are seen among the rainbow. It is a card of happiness, completion of all plans to your satisfaction, and a card of fulfillment and a sense of wholeness. A happy marriage and family life.

Page: Michelle Delacroix, a cup with an engraved fish design resting on her keyboard. (Unless somebody would prefer a different filker, keeping in mind that Hoshikage Kouyou hasn't debuted yet.)

Knight: Leonard da Quirm, offering a cup to a lady in the shadows.

Queen: __________ A queen on her throne at the seaside holds a cup she looks into. She sees visions within. It indicates a woman who has the gift of intuition and is able to offer good advice. She also may harbour a secret she is willing to share with you.

King: The Jason in his garden.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Hmmmmm... Would anybody (or everybody) aboard Grover's Corners be suitable for the Ten of Cups?
--
Rob Kelk

Grover's Corners might be more appropriate for Ten of Cups than the showrunners of JMC would be, certainly.

I would recommend Ace of Swords/Staves for the Hacker Underspace.

Jeph Antilles of JMC might well be the Two of Swords (depicted with the engine exhaust cones of a Blue Midget and Starbug 1), since he does wield a fair amount of influence... but does not exercise it just for the sake of doing so.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
robkelk Wrote:Hmmmmm... Would anybody (or everybody) aboard Grover's Corners be suitable for the Ten of Cups?
I was just about to suggest that myself...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Since there aren't any good descriptions of the Staves/Wands suit on Wikipedia, I looked up the book where the Cups suit entry got its material from. I couldn't find the specific book, but I found another by the same author.
I've also included some comments of my own.
~~~

THE SUIT OF WANDS

King

The physical and emotional nature to which this card is attributed is dark, ardent, lithe, animated, impassioned, noble. The King uplifts a flowering wand, and wears, like his three correspondences in the remaining suits, what is called a cap of maintenance beneath his crown. He connects with the symbol of the lion, which is emblazoned on the back of his throne. Divinatory Meanings: Dark man, friendly, countryman, generally married, honest and conscientious. The card always signifies honesty, and may mean news concerning an unexpected heritage to fall in before very long. Reversed: Good, but severe; austere, yet tolerant.

Queen

The Wands throughout this suit are always in leaf, as it is a suit of life and animation. Emotionally and otherwise, the Queen's personality corresponds to that of the King, but is more magnetic. Divinatory Meanings: A dark woman, countrywoman, friendly, chaste, loving, honourable. If the card beside her signifies a man, she is well disposed towards him; if a woman, she is interested in the Querent. Also, love of money, or a certain success in business. Reversed: Good, economical, obliging, serviceable. Signifies also--but in certain positions and in the neighbourhood of other cards tending in such directions--opposition, jealousy, even deceit and infidelity.

Knight

He is shewn as if upon a journey, armed with a short wand, and although mailed is not on a warlike errand. He is passing mounds or pyramids. The motion of the horse is a key to the character of its rider, and suggests the precipitate mood, or things connected therewith. Divinatory Meanings: Departure, absence, flight, emigration. A dark young man, friendly. Change of residence. Reversed: Rupture, division, interruption, discord.

Page

In a scene similar to the former, a young man stands in the act of proclamation. He is unknown but faithful, and his tidings are strange. Divinatory Meanings: Dark young man, faithful, a lover, an envoy, a postman. Beside a man, he will bear favourable testimony concerning him. A dangerous rival, if followed by the Page of Cups. Has the chief qualities of his suit. He may signify family intelligence. Reversed: Anecdotes, announcements, evil news. Also indecision and the instability which accompanies it.
(Comment: Maybe one of the factions of Fenspace's religious community, like a missionary for the In Nomine Tether)

Ten

A man oppressed by the weight of the ten staves which he is carrying. Divinatory Meanings: A card of many significances, and some of the readings cannot be harmonized. I set aside that which connects it with honour and good faith. The chief meaning is oppression simply, but it is also fortune, gain, any kind of success, and then it is the oppression of these things. It is also a card of false-seeming, disguise, perfidy. The place which the figure is approaching may suffer from the rods that he carries. Success is stultified if the Nine of Swords follows, and if it is a question of a lawsuit, there will be certain loss. Reversed: Contrarieties, difficulties, intrigues, and their analogies.

Nine

The figure leans upon his staff and has an expectant look, as if awaiting an enemy. Behind are eight other staves--erect, in orderly disposition, like a palisade. Divinatory Meanings: The card signifies strength in opposition. If attacked, the person will meet an onslaught boldly; and his build shews, that he may prove a formidable antagonist. With this main significance there are all its possible adjuncts--delay, suspension, adjournment. Reversed: Obstacles, adversity, calamity.
(Comment: Maybe Alex Xanatos and the remaining members of the SEELE Council plus Jarvis, waiting for Harry Struve to show back up for Round Two)

Eight

The card represents motion through the immovable-a flight of wands through an open country; but they draw to the term of their course. That which they signify is at hand; it may be even on the threshold. Divinatory Meanings: Activity in undertakings, the path of such activity, swiftness, as that of an express messenger; great haste, great hope, speed towards an end which promises assured felicity; generally, that which is on the move; also the arrows of love. Reversed: Arrows of jealousy, internal dispute, stingings of conscience, quarrels; and domestic disputes for persons who are married.

Seven

A young man on a craggy eminence brandishing a staff; six other staves are raised towards him from below. Divinatory Meanings: It is a card of valour, for, on the surface, six are attacking one, who has, however, the vantage position. On the intellectual plane, it signifies discussion, wordy strife; in business--negotiations, war of trade, barter, competition. It is further a card of success, for the combatant is on the top and his enemies may be unable to reach him. Reversed: Perplexity, embarrassments, anxiety. It is also a caution against indecision.

Six

A laurelled horseman bears one staff adorned with a laurel crown; footmen with staves are at his side. Divinatory Meanings: The card has been so designed that it can cover several significations; on the surface, it is a victor triumphing, but it is also great news, such as might be carried in state by the King's courier; it is expectation crowned with its own desire, the crown of hope, and so forth. Reversed: Apprehension, fear, as of a victorious enemy at the gate; treachery, disloyalty, as of gates being opened to the enemy; also indefinite delay.

Five

A posse of youths, who are brandishing staves, as if in sport or strife. It is mimic warfare, and hereto correspond the Divinatory Meanings: Imitation, as, for example, sham fight, but also the strenuous competition and struggle of the search after riches and fortune. In this sense it connects with the battle of life. Hence some attributions say that it is a card of gold, gain, opulence. Reversed: Litigation, disputes, trickery, contradiction.
(Comment: The five younger crewmembers of the Pegasus, Erica and Stitch in the background next to the shuttle)

Four

From the four great staves planted in the foreground there is a great garland suspended; two female figures uplift nosegays; at their side is a bridge over a moat, leading to an old manorial house. Divinatory Meanings: They are for once almost on the surface--country life, haven of refuge, a species of domestic harvest-home, repose, concord, harmony, prosperity, peace, and the perfected work of these. Reversed: The meaning remains unaltered; it is prosperity, increase, felicity, beauty, embellishment.

Three

A calm, stately personage, with his back turned, looking from a cliff's edge at ships passing over the sea. Three staves are planted in the ground, and he leans slightly on one of them. Divinatory Meanings: He symbolizes established strength, enterprise, effort, trade, commerce, discovery; those are his ships, bearing his merchandise, which are sailing over the sea. The card also signifies able co-operation in business, as if the successful merchant prince were looking from his side towards yours with a view to help you. Reversed: The end of troubles, suspension or cessation of adversity, toil and disappointment.
(Comment: Quite obviously, this HAS to be Jeph Antilles. Replace the sea cliff and sailing ships with Jeff looking out from a ship's bridge window at the JMC fleet)

Two

A tall man looks from a battlemented roof over sea and shore; he holds a globe in his right hand, while a staff in his left rests on the battlement; another is fixed in a ring. The Rose and Cross and Lily should be noticed on the left side. Divinatory Meanings: Between the alternative readings there is no marriage possible; on the one hand, riches, fortune, magnificence; on the other, physical suffering, disease, chagrin, sadness, mortification. The design gives one suggestion; here is a lord overlooking his dominion and alternately contemplating a globe; it looks like the malady, the mortification, the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world's wealth. Reversed: Surprise, wonder, enchantment, emotion, trouble, fear.

Ace

A hand issuing from a cloud grasps a stout wand or club. Divinatory Meanings: Creation, invention, enterprise, the powers which result in these; principle, beginning, source; birth, family, origin, and in a sense the virility which is behind them; the starting point of enterprises; according to another account, money, fortune, inheritance. Reversed: Fall, decadence, ruin, perdition, to perish also a certain clouded joy.
DeputyJones Wrote:Since there aren't any good descriptions of the Staves/Wands suit on Wikipedia, I looked up the book where the Cups suit entry got its material from. I couldn't find the specific book, but I found another by the same author.
That's quite a bit of work, and thank you for doing it... but http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ck#Rockets]we already have that suit done.
--
Rob Kelk

^_^;
Uh... better late than never? Ah, well. *shrugs*
Re-bump. We've left this fallow for a year; any new insights with a "fresh" look?

Cups = Hearts = Water = Philosophy and Spiritualism
The "crystal chalice filled with handwavium" should appear in some form on every card.

Once this suit is done, we still have to start on Swords/Spades.
robkelk Wrote:Ace: A crystal chalice filled with handwavium.

Two: The Lovers (Ben and Gina), toasting the opening of their base on 36 Atalantae.

Three: The virtual avatars of Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour standing in front of an unidentified Space Shuttle's main engine block.

Four: __________ A young man sits under a tree. One thinks of Buddha under the bodhi tree, sitting crosslegged, but this youth is not serene. He seems dissatisfied with the three cups before him. A hand from a cloud offers him a fourth cup, but the youth shows no interest. It indicates a period of ennui and boredom, where nothing seems to be satisfying.

Five: The administrator of Island One gazing forlornly at three empty cups, while two people from the Chicken Ranch sip from two other half-full cups behind him.

Six: __________ Two youths play in a garden, surrounded by six cups. This card can indicate happy memories, as well as a certain clinging to the past and how things used to be. It can also indicate an invitation or gift coming from someone in your past.

Seven: Members of the Ministry of Magic, debating which cup to partake of while showing signs of thirst.

Eight: A starship departs the Sol system, with the eight non-"minor" planets, in their orbits, in the background.

Nine: __________ This is known as the "wish" card. A well fed, self satisfied individual sits with nine cups behind. It indicates a table of plenty and getting everything you desire. It is the wish card, meaning your wish will come true.

Ten: __________ A husband and wife join arms looking up at the rainbow over their house. Two young children dance. Ten cups are seen among the rainbow. It is a card of happiness, completion of all plans to your satisfaction, and a card of fulfillment and a sense of wholeness. A happy marriage and family life.

Page: Michelle Delacroix, a cup with an engraved fish design resting on her keyboard. (Unless somebody would prefer a different filker, keeping in mind that Hoshikage Kouyou hasn't debuted yet.)

Queen: __________ A queen on her throne at the seaside holds a cup she looks into. She sees visions within. It indicates a woman who has the gift of intuition and is able to offer good advice. She also may harbour a secret she is willing to share with you.

King: The Jason in his garden.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:Hmmmmm... Would anybody (or everybody) aboard Grover's Corners be suitable for the Ten of Cups?
I was just about to suggest that myself...

Hmmmmm... I'm tempted to put Dr. Drakken and his "lady fair" on the Six of Cups, now that the characters exist.
--
Rob Kelk

And are suitably in the right timeframe, yes/no?

I almost wanted to put "Dick and Jane" or some similar schmaltzy kiddy thing of when earth had the forward vision, etc etc. One of the things that the "now" sensibilities of Fenspace would cringe at, but something the "then" sensibilities would laud....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
I've been looking at 4, and thinking of how many 'great aviation projects' were abandoned to rust because they weren't cost effective or 'the funding ran out'. There's the Tu-144, there's the third surviving unfinished Buran, a dozen hulks of old Soviet space mockups and the like. Or Ptichka itself parked up in a hangar covered in a decade's worth of grime. I'd rather something a little obscure like a BAC TSR-2, or the original Avro Arrow.

Or a drawing of an aircraft Boneyard featuring some or all of the above... dirtied and waiting.

It depends on what someone really wants the card to imply. Using Ptichka or an SR-71 (especially if the registration is the right one) implies a chance that the period of boredom might end.

(blows dust off thread)

No further work, just dumping a URL here before I forget about it.
http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/ ... cards.html

Because there's no point in doing only half a job, right?
--
Rob Kelk

bumping thread again, as this topic got necro'd over in the DW8 forum and the thread might get transplanted here.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
To save time & energy, I'll just reiterate what I said in DW8:

Quote:We're talking 21-78 cards, each one needing high-quality and detailed art to look good - because I assume that if we're actually going to do this there's no point in half-assing it - probably spread out over several artists just to get it done in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe. It all depends on the artists hired, their commission rates and if they're willing to let us monopolize somewhere around 6 months to a year's worth of queue to get this done. I have no idea if crowdfunding something like that's viable.

Based on a glance at average DeviantArt commission rates, to get a full Ravenmoon Tarot set done to a non-crap standard would cost in the $5000 - $15000 range. That's just the art, though ironically getting an actual deck made would be cheaper by a full order of magnitude.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Let's not put the cart before the horse... We still have 18 cards to describe before we can approach an artist (or do it ourselves).

Recapping the entire deck for those who've tuned in late, with a few notes:

Major Arcana

"The Ravenmoon's Trumps show people or places that are important in early Fenspace history, with a link back to the event that caused many of the First Fen to want to go into space."

0 - The Fool: The Fool is both the beginning and the end, and the one who both makes the journey through the Tarot and the one who shows newcomers the way along that journey. The creator of the Ravenmoon Tarot chose to depict the First Fan in Space, Katz Schrödinger, as the Fool.
1 - The Magician: The Rider-Waite deck uses The Magician to denote scholarly knowledge. The Ravenmoon deck depicts Fenspace's first well-known scholar, Jonathon Helscher, as the Fen Magician.
2 - The High Priestess: Many interpretations of the High Priestess have her representing "the female indwelling presence of the divine." The Ravenmoon Tarot depicts the three-into-one AI of Fate and her sister-selves (as they present themselves in video feeds from the Fateful Lightning) as the High Priestess.
3 - The Empress: The Empress is both the Earthly Paradise and the Feminine principle. Ravenmoon's artist chose two intelligences to represent The Empress: Kat Avins and Gaia, both of Grover's Corners.
4 - The Emperor: Some interpret The Emperor as the desire to rule over one's surroundings, while others see it as the embodiment of the Masculine principle. Either way, the Ravenmoon deck depicts the Transrationality Science Assessment Bureau's ranking off-planet officer, Col. Stephen Caldwell, as The Emperor.
5 - The Hierophant: The Hierophant originally represented religion, orthodox theology, traditional education, and a “Man of high social standing.” The Ravenmoon deck divorces the card from its religious aspects, and depicts a prominent Fendane with close ties to Earth and conservative politics: Chris Marsden.
6 - The Lovers: In the Rider-Waite deck, The Lovers represents the impulse that drives one out of the Garden of Eden, towards adulthood. The Ravenmoon deck deviates from this and takes the card more literally, showing Benjamin Rhodes and Gina Langley as The Lovers - although some claim Gina represents both a lover and the drive toward adulthood.
7 - The Chariot: The Chariot represents struggle and eventual hard-won victory. It is also the only Tarot card associated with a vehicle. The Ravenmoon deck shows one who has struggled and won against herself, gaining the victory of being able to travel through space under her own power at the cost of being merged with her vehicle: Jet Jaguar.
8 - Strength: Discipline and control are the watch-words of Strength, as they are of Alita Gally and the other members of the Panzer Kunst Gruppe shown on this card.
9 - The Hermit: Rider-Waite interprets The Hermit in two ways: the need to withdraw from society to become comfortable with oneself, and the return from isolation to share one's knowledge. The Ravenmoon deck depicts Fenspace's most famous recluse, Padraig O'Niell, as the Hermit, but leaves the card's illustration incomplete - perhaps the artist is waiting for Mr. O'Niell to end his self-imposed exile from society.
10 - Wheel of Fortune: The Wheel of Fortune represents an element of change in the querant's life. While the most obvious image for this card would have been handwavium itself, the Ravenmoon Tarot's creator instead chose a person well-known to have gone through a change because of handwavium: "That Poor Sod," A.C. Peters.
11 - Justice: The easiest of the Tarot to interpret, Justice represents Justice. The Ravenmoon card depicts Justice with the Best Damn Cop on Mars, Natsuko Aki.[2]
12 - The Hanged Man: Most interpretations of the Hanged Man mark him as an indication of sacrifice, letting go, and surrendering. The Ravenmoon deck goes beyond this and adds misfortune, represented by Murphy Murphy.
13 - Death: Most fortune-tellers are quick to say that Death is not always Death; it is also an ending, a change, or an increased sense of self-awareness because of change. But that ending can also be the ending of dreams or lives. Ravenmoon's artist chose for Death a First Fan who is known to be quick to violence, who was avoided like the plague for years, and who changed because of an increased self-awareness of his place in Fen society: Noah Scott.
14 - Temperance: The Rider-Waite interpretation of Temperance is moderation, synthesis, and compromise. Ravenmoon depicts the first leader to embrace synthesis and compromise for the good of her faction, Serenity I, as the embodiment of Temperance.
15 - The Devil: In most traditional decks, The Devil represents an obsession or addiction to fulfilling earthly base desires. The Ravenmoon deck gives the (dis)honor of the role of The Devil to Asmodeus Grey.
16 - The Tower: Failure, ruin and catastrophe are the hallmarks of The Tower, and this is reflected in the Ravenmoon deck by its depiction of the falling Crystal Osaka on this card.
17 - The Star: Many interpretations of The Star have it representing inspiration and discovery. Ravenmoon's deck chooses to represent this as scientific inspiration and discovery, presenting The Professor in his laboratory.
18 - The Moon: Rider-Waite uses the Moon to denote life of the imagination separated from life of the spirit - a focus on a wide-ranging worldly life instead of a spiritual life. This role has been given (perhaps unfairly) to Buckaroo in the Ravenmoon Tarot.
19 - The Sun: The Sun is "attained knowledge," shown in this deck by Neil Armstrong making his walk at Tranquility Base.
20 - Judgement: Judgement symbolizes resurrection and the promise of life after death. That promise was fulfilled in the earliest days of the Fenspace diaspora, embodied in Fenspace and depicted in the Ravenmoon deck by Wave Convoy.
21 - The Worlds: Rider-Waite says The World is fulfillment, accomplishment, and success. While this could apply to all of the Big-Name Fen, the most public and outspoken BNF, Mal Fnord, is the one Ravenmoon's artist chose to depict on The Worlds. Many of the planets that the Soviets were first to explore are shown in the image's background.

Rockets

"The suit of Wands, Staves, Batons, or Clubs is associated with the classical element of Fire. The Ravenmoon Tarot gives the fire of inspiration to this suit, renaming it Rockets and illustrating an overview of pre-handwave space exploration."

Ace: Dr. Robert Goddard, launching his first successful rocket.
Two: Sputnik 2 and Laika
Three: Dr. Wernher von Braun shaking hands with President Truman, with Eisenhower in the background.
Four: The Atlas V rocket, launching a commercial satellite, in orbit.
Five: A Minuteman missile, in mid-launch.
Six: A Space X Falcon rocket.
Seven: Rollout of the Space Shuttle Enterprise.
Eight: Challenger on her launch pad, 28 January 1986, with her crew pictured in the foreground.
Nine: A NIKE missile emplacement, clearly abandoned, with a group of civilians working on one of the missiles. Some kind of lightning display is going on in the background.
Ten: A V-2 rocket, mid-launch. The background is indistinct, so it cannot be seen whether this is a wartime launch from Germany or testing in the American desert.
Page: Yang Liwei.
Knight: John Glenn in the Friendship 7 capsule.
Queen: Sally Ride.
The King: Yuri Gagarin, in space.

Coins

"The suit of Coins, Pentacles, or Diamonds is associated with the classical element of Earth. The Ravenmoon deck gives the solid rock of wealth to this suit, including non-material wealth in its riches."

Ace: Antonio Mendoza, Fenspace's first Vitamin Man, trading his goods for whatever he can get.
Two: Mal Fnord and Chris Marsden, shaking hands, with Soviet and American flags waving in the background.
Three: Haruhi Suzumiya giving The Speech at SOS-Con.
Four: Colonel Stephen Caldwell in full dress uniform, hoarding the wealth of handwavium technology.
Five: Noah Scott and Haruhi Suzumiya, backs turned to each other, with Great Justice dividing between them.
Six: Myk-El Miller, teaching others how to safely use handwavium so as not to become poorer from the experience.
Seven: The USS Miranda going to FTL.
Eight: Vulpine Fury, in his usual "shop telepresence" persona.
Nine: Ford Sierra, tuning her namesake blue car.
Ten: A Ninja team coming home from a succesful mission.
Page: Bob Schroeck, tending a field aboard Grover's Corners
Knight: **WHITENOISE**, the leader of the Morians.
Queen: Haruhi Suzumiya, caring for her closest friends.
The King: Don Antonio Esposito.

Cups

Cups = Hearts = Water = Philosophy and Spiritualism
The "crystal chalice filled with handwavium" should appear in some form on every card.

Blanks indicate undecided cards. Text in italics following blanks gives the traditional meaning, which we've been using for the other cards.

Ace: A crystal chalice filled with handwavium.

Six: Dr. Drakken and Shego, playing in the gardens of Crystal Tokyo, surrounded by six cups.

The King: The Jason in his garden.

Notes:

robkelk: "Four: Do we have any named groundbounders yet? Queen: Too bad the deck was released before Takami "woke up", and nobody knows about Dee's abilities at this point either."

Staves

Staves = Spades = Air

No cards have yet been decided in this suit. The traditional meanings, via Wikipedia:
Quote:The Suit of Swords is a suit found in playing cards using the Italian and Spanish suits. It is also found in Latin Suited Tarot Cards. It's equivalent to Spades in Anglo-American playing cards.

The suit represents the Second Estate (The Nobles).

Common divinatory meanings

Swords correspond to the element of Air, and as such signifies freedom but also quick change. The Swords suit also traditionally represented the military, which implies strength, power and authority, but also responsibility, violence and suffering.
  • Ace of Swords: The Reaver. Indicates decisive ability. Cutting through confusion. Taking a radical decision or standpoint. The ability to see through deception, and expose it.
  • Two of Swords: The Choice. The two of swords indicates doubt over decisions. A sense of powerlessness and apathy giving way to fear. If the other cards in the spread are favourable, then the Two of Swords can indicate lack of bias and even mindedness.
  • Three of Swords: The Wound. This card represents the aspect of the mind which is overly critical, especially of itself. The perverse impulse to dissect a problem beyond the point of usefulness. The three swords are often depicted piercing a bleeding heart. The swords symbolise the intellect, and the heart, the emotions which always suffer under this treatment.
  • Four of Swords: The Effigy. The four of swords symbolises avoidance. Setting problems to the side, (the swords on the wall), while one prays for deliverance. This card can also represent surrender, or in some cases, pacifism.
  • Five of Swords: The Traitor. This card symbolises victory by betrayal. The emptiness which descends after a harsh struggle. The alienation of others through belligerence.
  • Six of Swords: The Boatman. A dangerous journey. Readers do not always agree on the alignment of this card. It can indicate a doomed endeavour, or conversely, moving out of troubled waters. It also indicates responsibility for others.
  • Seven of Swords: The Thief. This card represents covert activities. The attempt to get away with too much, and being compromised as a result. If the reading is favourable, the card may represent making sacrifices to move ahead. Simplifying.
  • Eight of Swords: The Prisoner. Feeling trapped and oppressed by others, and powerless to change. Often the condition is self imposed, but the cause is attributed to external influences. This card can also indicate the stubborn adherence to an ideal.
  • Nine of Swords: Terror, the Nightmare. Tarot readers do not generally like to categorise cards as "bad", or "good" but The Nine of Swords is probably the most dreaded card in the deck, however it can indicate the process of letting go, grief, and in combination with healing cards like The Queen of Wands, it is highly beneficial.
  • Ten of Swords: The Corpse. The nightmare in The Nine of Swords comes to an end in The Ten. There may be exhaustion, and the result may not be ideal but the ordeal is over and the truth has been outed. The Ten of Swords can also indicate the end of a repetitious cycle. Divorce.
  • Page of Swords: The Spy. The ability to observe others keenly, while concealing one's own nature. The talent for keeping secrets. Keeping one's head in the face of danger. The ability to endure suspense.
  • Knight of Swords: The Berserker. Wrath. Impatience. Fanaticism. Blind addiction to action as opposed to thought. Also may indicate initiative and courage.
  • Queen of Swords: The Widow, or necromancer. This card symbolises independence, at its best. Power, intelligence, tactical thinking. The ability to streamline a problem, and find the solution without fuss. At worst, The Queen of Swords can represent isolation, depression and cruelty.
  • King of Swords: The Warlord. Discipline with passion. Power and insight. Can symbolise tyranny.
Notes:

robkelk: I want to put the Hacker Underspace in here somewhere.

Dartz: "The Ace of Swords might be a Jedi Knight. Three might be a wounded SPARTAN with an A24 'Sword' battlerifle and three spent shells on the ground. The Six could be the SS Ciara firing excalibur missiles. Eight: A service number of some sort. The Nine could be the metallic hand off a Boskone Berserker with nine-bladed fingers."

ECSNorway: "Six of Swords should show a spaceship, either firing six beam weapons or escorted by six fighters, flying into what is clearly massively overwhelming opposition, kind of like nBSG Pegasus' death-ride..."

Stuff that's come up during this project.

The leader of the Morians needs a name.
--
Rob Kelk

Taking a pop at Swords

----------------------------
Ace of Swords: The Reaver. Indicates decisive ability. Cutting through confusion. Taking a radical decision or standpoint. The ability to see through deception, and expose it.
---->> Instead of a Jedi, This definitely can be someone from the Underspace. Lebia Maverick maybe

Two of Swords: The Choice. The two of swords indicates doubt over decisions. A sense of powerlessness and apathy giving way to fear. If the other cards in the spread are favourable, then the Two of Swords can indicate lack of bias and even mindedness.
---->> (Who argued against Operation Great Justice? Sensibly too)

Three of Swords: The Wound. This card represents the aspect of the mind which is overly critical, especially of itself. The perverse impulse to dissect a problem beyond the point of usefulness. The three swords are often depicted piercing a bleeding heart. The swords symbolise the intellect, and the heart, the emotions which always suffer under this treatment.
----->> Ishikawa Diagram with three obvious branches, planing for a Great Justice operation. Reducing the human cost in casualties to mere numbers.

Four of Swords: The Effigy. The four of swords symbolises avoidance. Setting problems to the side, (the swords on the wall), while one prays for deliverance. This card can also represent surrender, or in some cases, pacifism.
----->> Four pirates, being paid off by miners?

Five of Swords: The Traitor. This card symbolises victory by betrayal. The emptiness which descends after a harsh struggle. The alienation of others through belligerence.
----->> Naoko Sato with Five pieces of silver.

Six of Swords: The Boatman. A dangerous journey. Readers do not always agree on the alignment of this card. It can indicate a doomed endeavour, or conversely, moving out of troubled waters. It also indicates responsibility for others.
----->> SS Ciara, scorched and damaged, chased by six Boskone fighters.

Seven of Swords: The Thief. This card represents covert activities. The attempt to get away with too much, and being compromised as a result. If the reading is favourable, the card may represent making sacrifices to move ahead. Simplifying.
----->> SHIELD 007

Eight of Swords: The Prisoner. Feeling trapped and oppressed by others, and powerless to change. Often the condition is self imposed, but the cause is attributed to external influences. This card can also indicate the stubborn adherence to an ideal.
----->> A man in an office cubicle, with a 'Fannish' poster on the wall. Maybe for Serenity or something. He's working until 8pm

Nine of Swords: Terror, the Nightmare. Tarot readers do not generally like to categorise cards as "bad", or "good" but The Nine of Swords is probably the most dreaded card in the deck, however it can indicate the process of letting go, grief, and in combination with healing cards like The Queen of Wands, it is highly beneficial.
----->> A sphere of grey metal cupped in yellow-gloved hands. The Radiation symbol or Doomsday Clockface showing 9 minutes to midnight, is prominent. (Plutonium 239 - both as a weapon, and a stable source of energy). )

Ten of Swords: The Corpse. The nightmare in The Nine of Swords comes to an end in The Ten. There may be exhaustion, and the result may not be ideal but the ordeal is over and the truth has been outed. The Ten of Swords can also indicate the end of a repetitious cycle. Divorce.
----->> Gutted fighter jets at an abandoned airfield, the number 10 on one of the tails.

Page of Swords: The Spy. The ability to observe others keenly, while concealing one's own nature. The talent for keeping secrets. Keeping one's head in the face of danger. The ability to endure suspense.
----->> A stealth reconnaissance drone.

Knight of Swords: The Berserker. Wrath. Impatience. Fanaticism. Blind addiction to action as opposed to thought. Also may indicate initiative and courage.
----->> A Blackbird charging towards a furball.

Queen of Swords: The Widow, or necromancer. This card symbolises independence, at its best. Power, intelligence, tactical thinking. The ability to streamline a problem, and find the solution without fuss. At worst, The Queen of Swords can represent isolation, depression and cruelty.
------>> (Drawing a blank and trying not to re-use people)

King of Swords: The Warlord. Discipline with passion. Power and insight. Can symbolise tyranny.
----->> Benjamin Rhodes been on this yet? Both the best, and potentially the worst if that power is misused.
I can't argue most of dartz's suggestions, however, while I could see Wolfboy being the king of swords I think he and FSOG would be more in line with the nine of swords (nitemare) because of the facts that they are generally an unknown to most, and come to light only when busting boskone holdouts. As for artwork, Wolfboy (anthropamorphic wolf) sheathing/unsheathing a sword, (hilt in one hand sheath in the other) while in uniform.

Rhodes is in the major arcana so someone else needs to come to light.

If I had my druthers, I'druther have people on all of the "face" cards (Page, Knight, Queen, and King) - but that's just my preference.

Ben Rhodes is one of The Lovers. If we hadn't already put Jet Jaguar on The Chariot, she'd be a good choice for Queen of Swords.
--
Rob Kelk

Ok then Wolfboy for the tyrant then

Not saying no, just asking: What did Wolfboy do that would make him known to the as-yet-unnamed person who created the Ravenmoon Tarot and released it just after the fall of Crystal Osaka?
--
Rob Kelk

Damn he wouldn't be there then.

I'm actually coming back into to Fenspace (my brain has been percolating lately; maybe I'll actually get something done). I think that the Cavaliers would fit as the Ace of Swords, with Blackstone being the prominent figure in the image (since he carries a sword), and the others in the background.
I'd also offer the idea that the Moon and the Star should be reversed. The entire concept of the Buckaroo Banzai is the blending of science and mysticism (much the pulp heroes he's based off of), so he would definitely not be a representation of the purely material.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5