Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Character]Chris Wood (In progress)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Name: Christopher Wood

Birthday: June 22, 1983

Ethnicity: Australian

Citizenship: Australia

Residence: New Adelaide, later the Freighter Raywing

In mid 2011, Chris took advantage of Australia's rather open attitude to both Handwavium and Fen, ‘waving his car and moving up to New Adelaide on Mars. Spending the next year or so earning a living in the growing cities merchant quarters he spent his spare time building a freighter in a hanger he’d rented out, intending to take advantage of the growing trade routes between Australia and the rest of the solar system.

Unfortunately for Chris, he had the unfortunate luck of finishing work on the Raywing right before SOS-Con, which meant that he had to try and get started in an industry that now involved organised pirates, slavers, and other types of scum going around and making trouble. After spending a few weeks getting some decent weapons together, he got started freighting between most of the inner planets, with the occasional trip out to the Belt. As of January 2013, he’s started to earn a reputation as a reliable, and relatively fast, freighter.

Notable Mundane Abilities

Yes, I have a license - qualified atmosphere pilot, has proven decent as a space pilot.

I think I know what this does - While not naturally that good with construction and power tools, he picked up a lot of skills during his days as a simple laborer. Can usually build or repair something if he’s got decent instructions to work with.

Quirks

Thanks, but I’ll pass on the Mexican - Not biomodded at all, and has no plans to do so. Not out of prejudice, but from studying Handwavium enough to know it has a sense of irony. As a long time fan of TG and furries, he’s pretty sure what would happen if he rode the wave.

Pass me the safety glasses - Has always been rather safety conscious, and has only gotten more so since getting off world.
It's currently still being worked on, and is more of an 'early days' bio, up until some point during the Boskone War. Especially given the odds against avoiding the 'Wave forever. Which doesn't bother him too much, he'd just like to postpone it.
There are enough folks Up who avoid being biomodded that it shouldn't be too difficult for Chris to avoid it as well.

"TG" is... what? (There are too many possibly-right answers...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
TG is genderswapping. Looking through all the various character bios, I noticed quite a few people have it happen. I figure by the time Chris gets into space, it's at least semi-well documented, thus leading to extra paranoia when handling Handwavium. Much like Hammond in the Top Gear fenspace ep, now that I think about it.
More precisely, "TG" stands for "transgender". And as I recall, the Senshi are rumored to be able to do male-to-female transform/biomods with a very private strain of 'Wavium.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Sounds interesting so far. Always more room for a merchant-type among the fen. Smile

HRogge

Bob Schroeck Wrote:More precisely, "TG" stands for "transgender". And as I recall, the Senshi are rumored to be able to do male-to-female transform/biomods with a very private strain of 'Wavium.
The catgirling machine is another aspect of this...
HRogge Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:More precisely, "TG" stands for "transgender". And as I recall, the Senshi are rumored to be able to do male-to-female transform/biomods with a very private strain of 'Wavium.

And of course the BNF example, A.C. Peters
And of course the BNF example, A.C. Peters
You can also add KJ and Jeph Antilles to the list, although these ones tend to be "switchable" in GURPS terms, with specific triggers involved.
Yes, I think we all agree that the 'wave seems to like doing this.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Well, in general, it's not uncommon to be thinking about the opposite sex.... and handwavium is a memetic substance ;P

It might be an effect of emergency wave injectors of GJ medkits produced by the Crystal Millenium. It's a stable strain that gives a result that is guaranteed to be healthy and 'human', allowing the recipient to have reasonably normal life. It was also designed to be almost quirk free, which is a big deal considering there can be some nasty jokers out there.

There's also a reason why GJ dog-tags and ID will always include an area specifically to note whether the wearer would prefer not to receive emergency handwavium-treatment in the event of injury.
And Chris grew up reading too much Ranma and Futaba manga and the like. Which means the moment he heard about some of the waviums habits, he knew to put off the biomodding unless he REALLY had to. If it does happen, he'll shrug and try to deal with it. (Hell, that may be a story idea for later.) Which actually gives me the idea for another quirk or two.

Missed me by that much - In any situation where there is a Handwavium leak, stray 'Wavium, especially biomorph variants, tends to miss Chris by as small a distance as possible. Chris hasn't noticed this yet, although his friends and associates have. Those in the know of his caution around the substance suspect that it's a memetic response to said caution. Or it's just messing with him until it decides the time is right to strike.

Twenty Bucks he turns into Lina Inverse - His friends, business associates and acquaintances have a betting pool going on just when he rides the 'wave, and what he ends up as. Being Fenspace, some of the bets are... odd. (Tragic violin accident?!) 
Deliberately trying to avoid getting a biomod, because he thinks he knows what it'll do to him? Sounds reasonable.
As opposed to Noah Scott's "deliberately trying to avoid getting a biomod, because he's happy the way he is, thank you very much" or "Danger" Will Robinson's "deliberately trying to avoid getting a biomod, because he wants something special and isn't sure he can get it yet"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012