Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC][Faction] Hellfire Club
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I got the inspiration for this small faction when Ace detailed Kickassia, and with the latest discussion about the future in fenspace I decided to flesh it further. I was originally going to create original club members, but then I realized that the Open Characters are there for something, so most of the named members are open characters (despite how unlikely the idea of, say, a french supermodel would want to be skulking around in secret conspiracies somewhere in Jupiter)

The Hellfire Club

The Hellfire Club is a secret organization -nothing is known about this group, except the fact that they uncovered a dangerous boskonian infiltration in the Marduk shipyards, sending word to Great Justice. This was the first time the name of the organization was made public -and the last.

But rumors of their involvement all over Luna, Cislunar space, and even Venus, Mars and ocasionally beyond, are plenty, and always present in any fen with conspiracy inclinations. They control the water trade in Venus, they secretly rule Marduk, tthey have infiltrated the Space Patrol, hey order around fen criminal gangs for their own interests. The list is almost endless, and often contradicting.

Any fen worth their name, of course, knows the origin of the name, so the one rumor that is said so often to be considered truth is the organization, with the members taking the names of chess pieces -16 members in the inner circle, and a seemingly endless number of Pawns (most of whom do not even known they are pawns). The colors of the pieces -Red, White or Black- are a matter of spirited debate in the bianual Conspiracy Convention at Marduk city.

Even more loudly debated in forums and the convention are the names of the members -given the original involvement of the Club in Marduk city, Vykos, with his white clothes, is often considered a shoe in as the White King, but others thing it is just too evident (unless that's what he wants you to think). Most BNF have found themselves placed as this or that member over the years, though of course Mal Fnord has always topped the list as possible Red King.

The Truth

In 2008, Michael Weston was one more college student in California, who spent his free time geeking over comic books and D&D campaigns, with a group of friends. Like many other geeks, he had all the marking to bug of out the old dirt ball and become a fen (well, that or go formal, find an accounting job and suburb home, but in fenspace we do not talk about those people).

One thing than set him apart from other fen was one of his internet contacts, a social worker named Tanith Curtis, which had build an internet friendship due to shared interests -and being born in the same town.

When Tanith, whom Michael considered a serious (if nice) woman, suddenly packed up and mover to the moon, he had a revelation. He gathered his gaming group, and they began to plan they super space station.

Their skills were, maybe, not up to the task, but there was nothing wrong with their imagination. The huge prank than would eventually become Kickassia Station was born, an amazing floating luxury manor in the sky for millionaires. Who cared if it was simply an outer shell with a few hovering drives? It was home, and cool.

Tanith found her friend's babbling about the prank cute, but that was when she was far away. After her first visit she was horrified about the suicidal danger the station posed to their inhabitants; two weeks after her visit, Oscar Vykos had appeared with a couple of construction droids and a building guide.

The Federation had helped Oscar when he first came to fenspace, a penniless explored with a badly designed ship, asking for no reward. Since then, Oscar had vowed to offer help to new fen who needed it, so when he discovered a group of girls trying to build a moon kingdom a few miles north of his home, he did not hesitate to lent then several temporary habitats, offering gossip and building tips as needed; he earned several lifelong friendships then.

So when one of his friends came ranting about insane stunts in L5, he was happy to lend a hand, and a couple old droids than weren't in use right then (there almost certainly is no truth in the rumor than Tanith has several blackmail photos about Vykos, a lost bet and pink flower dresses).

The year 2009 was a busy time in Kickassia, as they rebuild (rather, they built) the interior of the station. Michael and his group visited fenspace, geeked out with the super city of Kandor, made new friends, and in general joined the fen nation. Some of those friends had risen to high places indeed -Vykos had turned Genesis Construction into a mayor company, Hélène Aronnax became an international supermodel... and Tanith was now known as Her Royal Majesty, Queen Serenity the First.

Kickassia hosted a Christmas party that year, to celebrate the completion of the station, and the success of the prank; their closest friend were invited. Once the party had gone for long, and the eggnog and sugar had time to act, discussion mover to politics, handwavium, and their nature. Most of the guests agreed that handwavium thrives in imagination and dreams, and that's why 'danes were worse at it.

The next day the party broke up and everyone returned to their homes, but Michael kept thinkign about the debate on hanwavium and dreams. What would happen if the Factions grew up, matured and turned into normal nations? He kept coming back to this problem, so three months after the part, he summoned back his friends to a secret reunion.

That reunion went form a few hours to two days, and then a week, while Michael, which had woken up a newfound passion, convinced then to the danger. The group decided that the best path was to make sure that there were as much small factions as possible -but that was not enough. Fendanes, and eventually everybody back on earth, had to awaken their dreams -in short, everybody should eventually become fen.

The Dream Makers were born -fortunately, that horrid name only lasted the few minutes before someone joked that with Serenity present, they had their own White Queen, so they were renamed by acclamation the Hellfire Club. Kickassia Station is their (secret) base.

Goals

The Hellfire Club goals are to make sure fen, and humans in general, keep realizing their dreams, no matter how strange. Their eventual goal, should it be possible, is to turn everybody into fen, but for the moment they concentrate in 'danes living in space.

They do this by making sure there are as many factions as possible, so everybody can find their own place. They have sworn to help young factions withing their possibilities -but it is of note than this does not mean they are always altruistic; Oscar Vykos has made a fortune building (even if cheap, it's not free) habitats, Esposito has built a net of contacts (which he loves offering Deals They Can't Refuse), Michael himself has created a transport company.

But even thay they will always be on the lookout for new factions, ready to lend a hand -no matter the faction, if they will abide to the Convention, then they will help it (this is why, hidden in the deepest level of the Genesis Zigurrat, behind seven sealed doors, lies a set of templates and implants than would help a sentient pony to fly, manipulate objects, or trwo pretty lights. Osacr prays then he never will have to open the vault)

Despite the dark rumors -most of which are started by then- they try to remain firmly on the side of the law, and Great Justice has (mostly) full access to their dealings -one the OF-7 troubleshooters is a member, and he makes regular report to everything the Club discovers and he thinks his superiors need to know.

The Club is actually a firm defender of Great Justice and the Space Patrol: They know than by encouraging small factions, fenspace risks splintering, so they support interfaction groups than help unity.

Organization and Members:

The had adopted the chess names of the marvel Hellfire Club, though there is no actual leader, and all members are equal. There are White and Black pieces, and, despite rumors, no pawns; should they ever grow over 16 members, they will pick a new color, like red, and start a new “court”.

Members:

Black King: Michael Weston

Black Queen: Hélène Aronnax

Black Bishop: Anthony Esposito

Balck Knight: Kalyn Telana

Black Bishop: Tiamat Vykos

White King: Oscar Vykos

White Queen: Tanith Curtis (Serenity I)

White Rook: Erin Simmah

White Knight: Arthur Nkomo

There are seven unnamed spots -a few of then are filled by Michael's gaming club, which helped build Kickassia and are now members of other factions, like the Supers or the Federation, and a few of then empty for future members; those spots are left blank for future needs, like other background details (like how a french Monster of the Black Lagoon girl ended up joining a bunch of californians); those details may be filled in stories, or completed by another author.
No objections. There's sure to be Ponyfen around, though, even if off camera so far. I'd expect some crossover and much common ground with the Senshi.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Might I inquire if there was any particular reason why you chose the name 'Michael Weston'?

I ask because that's the name on the main character in the TV series 'Burn Notice'.

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/burnnotice/

hmm, corrction, that character's last name is 'Westen', but the sound is close enough to catch the attention of someone familiar with the show.

Of course, that would spur on even more rumors, so they may actuall like the results.
I ask because that's the name on the main character in the TV series 'Burn Notice'.
hmm, corrction, that character's last name is 'Westen', but the sound is close enough to catch the attention of someone familiar with the show.
Of course, that would spur on even more rumors, so they may actuall like the results.
Because I suck at english names, so I picked Michael because Michael J Fox was right then on TV, and Western (then moved to Weston) because it was Back to the Future and they were on the wild west. This is actually the fist time I heard of Burn Notice, which sounds like an interesting series.
But it's worth mentioning than, for all not in the know (the Club and the few cops/troubleshooters they inform, maybe a few extra close friends) Michael is just one more fen, owner of a mid sized transport company, and, if someone scratches in his background, one of the owners of Kickassia, that private residence for millionaries. Of the four "monarchs" Vykos, and ocasionally Serenity, are the ones who take point in the rumors, leaving the others to do their thing whilehe attact attemtion.
Rakhasa Wrote:
Timote Wrote:Might I inquire if there was any particular reason why you chose the name 'Michael Weston'?
Because I suck at english names, so I picked Michael because Michael J Fox was right then on TV, and Western (then moved to Weston) because it was Back to the Future and they were on the wild west. This is actually the fist time I heard of Burn Notice, which sounds like an interesting series.
But it's worth mentioning than, for all not in the know (the Club and the few cops/troubleshooters they inform, maybe a few extra close friends) Michael is just one more fen, owner of a mid sized transport company, and, if someone scratches in his background, one of the owners of Kickassia, that private residence for millionaries. Of the four "monarchs" Vykos, and ocasionally Serenity, are the ones who take point in the rumors, leaving the others to do their thing whilehe attact attemtion.
So the name is just a coincidence, I also wasn't sure if it was his real name or one he chose when he went Up. 
Fair enough, there are plenty of people in the world that share the name of someone famous.  I suspect there is more than one 'Michael Jordan' in the US, for example.
I'm sure you can agree though, that conspiracy Fen never let a little thing like 'facts' get in the way of a juicy theory, so there are probably rumors that his transport company provides cover for Michael's spy activities.  8)   And a load of theories who he 'really' works for (CIA, Interpol, Great Justice, one of the big Fations, freelance, ect.  pretty much any group except the Hellfire Club, just for irony's sake))

Ace Dreamer

Sounds good...

So, we get to blame Oscar for the squirrels that run Kickassia, do we? [grin]

Is there really a Super who uses the place to help maintain their secret identity???

So, I'm guessing Michael has some clever cut-outs, to handle the rental of the eight luxury levels in Kickassia, and ensure no one tracks down the owners through the rent paid...

I guess only the squirrels really know what's going on, and they aren't telling...
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Of course, the squirrels were totally planned and are a marvel of foresight, delicate design and revolutionary engineering. There was absolutely no accident with a snickers nut bar and the batch of handwavium that should have been used in the maintenace droids, no matte what the secutiry videos claim.

And yes, at least one of the unnamed members of the group is probably a Super wiht their Secret Base in Kickassia (all of the Club members have their own section in the station, pretending to be "normal" millionarie residents)

Ace Dreamer

Kickassia might not be a very good place to meet, if the Club members are impersonating "kajilionaires", scattered across the eight levels. There isn't any access between the levels, so as to maintain the privacy of residents. Yes, there are twenty-four entrances, three per level, but how the internals are laid-out is (deliberately) hidden.

If you want to move between levels, without alerting any watchers (or upsetting the squirrels) you would get in a limo, fly out of Kickassia, send the secret signal to summon a Stealth Tunnel, be flown up out of the ecliptic, summon a different Stealth Tunnel, be flown back to Kickassia, fly your limo back into a different level. Mind you, even if the limos were originally waved shells around compact cars, you could probably get eight people in one.

Kickassia levels can be very luxurious - mansions, swimming pools, private woods - do you think there's a risk that people living there might start believing they are really kajilionairs? [grin]

BTW, does their origin mean the squirrels can be bribed with chocolate, or, do you have to use Snickers bars? [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind