Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC]Open Character: Hoshikage-san and her "Song Energy System"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

HRogge

ClassicDrogn:
I kind of like the one from FLCL that splays out into a king (kong) size baseball mitt myself.

On a totally different tangent, do you suppose anyone has biomodded themselves a voicebox that lets them play with tractor/pressor focussed gravity waves and force bubbles yet? It only works if they're singing, or at least 'screaming musically' like a heavy metal vocalist, though...

Ace Dreamer
That sounds fun, but I suspect that would be beyond the limits of a normal biomod. You'd probably need something unique, like a biomod combined with a cyber voice box replacement for cancer of the throat. And, I suspect you'd need a collar connected to a low-profile backpack, with a power supply, if you wanted to do anything more than move small household object around, like wine glasses.

Star Ranger4
.... I think ace has the right of that conept

ClassicDrogn:
So, like the SES vest to get results more impressive than party tricks? Still pretty close to source material, here. And yeah, I was already thinking along the lines of having needed a replacement throat premod. Considering how much wavetech tends to respond to music, it might actually be a Spiritia-active substance like Fold Quartz. It's close enough to be the fen in question's working theory, at least. Maybe a former May-December idol singer who got shuffled off to low budget hentai VA after the industry

chewed her up and spat her out, took up smoking from the stress of having lifelong musical dreams crushed, and proved to be one of the highly susceptible fraction of a percent who get a rapid onset and quickly developing throat cancer. With the option of no voice, death, or space and the 'wave, option #3 was an easy pick when Minmay, Myung, and Mylene, plus their VAs, were all among her favorites. As a fen, she's loosely affiliated with the Gearheads by virtue of the Macross connection, president of the

Marsbase Sara chapter of the Musician's Aid Society, and specializes in recording new music that makes wavetech work, so the owners don't go nuts from having to listen to the same damn thing all the time. The fact that her music is just plain good now that she's using her own material instead of generic industry pabulum, and that some of her customers are BNFs with thier own following, gives her the wider audience needed to make a career of it. She has, however, refused all offers of an SES valkyrie,

citing a lack of Zentreadi, Protodeviln, or Vajra that would require such measures, and a tendency to motion sickness that makes flying in anything a misery.

Now she just needs a name...

ETA And naturally the thread has moved on while I was writing. Yeah, what Dartz said - Mars and Venus may be getting closer by 2020 but no one can really be totally self-sufficient in a space hab, there's just to much critical stuff that can break, and if you think you'll go without outside convenience items, tell that

to the half of your population who have a monthly use for Midol and tampons.

&%$#@!** PSP input box!

Star of Fenspace music e-shops, audio and video streams, Hoshikage Kouyou (Starlight Glittering) probably has a different real name, but between the fen love of image and the tendency to choose a new, genre appropriate name after coming Up, no one is too interested in calling her on it.

Edit again to use a name that's not an existing character
Wave Convoy, who has to have the various Transformers or Brave Series themes on constant loop in one of his subprocessors, is PARTICULARLY grateful for her help with that, even if posthuman multitasking abilities mean he can listen to other things on other systems at the same time. He's the one who set her up with a nice Sara apartment and a bunch of interwave media contacts in 2015, and has made a number of ever more attractive offers to lure her to the Gnarlycurl now that Castle Borealis is complete.
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Kouyou can be used any time you'd have a celebrity guest for an event, or providing music, or as a name for a "coming up next" on a video or audio show. She's slightly taller than average for a Japanese woman, quite beautiful even at thirtymumble, and dyes her hair to be reddish brown with brighter streaks and highlights. Her SES vest is a bit less bulky than the Macross 7 version, and amplifies her abilities enough to exert over five tons of force or make a force bubble that is airtight and bulletproof,
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
but mostly uses it as a literal sonic amplifier instead of a microphone and speakers by directly vibrating the air, which also has the benefit of appearing to transmit sound across vacuum by shaking the air at the far side. Her range with this is a few thousand feet, possibly as much as a mile with a tightly directed 'beam.' If not for her motion sickness she could probably manage at least short duration flight, though she can work through it in an emergency or professional neccessity.
--
It occurs to me that the Supers probably really wish they'd found her first... perhaps they're in a duel of incentives with WC over relocating to Kandor(? or wherever their notional headquarters is) over Castle Borealis? While she wonders what started the rumor she planned to leave Mars in the first place... some of the offers are kind of tempting, though.

She speaks Japanese, English, Russian, and Spanish well and can get by in French and Brazillian Portugese. Most of her songs are in the first three.
--

HRogge

I wonder if this force bubble could be popped by a waved needle. Wink

But it sounds like an interesting way to continue to sing... being able to move/vibrate the air directly could get all kind of crazy sound effects from different points.

Ace Dreamer

You are really going to disappoint the fan at concerts who like to stand with the heads inside the speakers. [grin]

(Yes, I've seen these... From a distance. [grin])
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Are you kidding? All they have to do is sit in one of the designated SES zones and their /whole body/ can be inside, and in fact acting as part of, the speakers. Though specifically offered for the enjoyment of normally deaf people, the option is always open... and thanks to the handwavium safety factor it doesn't even raise the number of deaf people.

Even without the vest Kouyou can use this trick at close to half that range at normal volumes, making her the All-Solar champion at throwing her voice.
--
Measurements with fine gravitic sensors have determined that Kouyou is actually producing the sound this way whenever she speaks, making the above trick "throwing her voice" in literal fact. For this and other obvious reasons, she prefers calling the ability "happiness creation" rather than "gravity control." She's not out to bring anybody down.
--
ClassicDrogn Wrote:... While she wonders what started the rumor she planned to leave Mars in the first place... some of the offers are kind of tempting, though. ...
So, she's one of the "regulars" at the Clark Savage, Jr. Memorial Stadium and Music Complex on Deimos, then? I wonder how well she gets along with Bombastic Hush...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Dunno, got a link to something involving him(?)? She's not some super-demanding diva, having dealt with a couple of them during her idol career she knows no one likes having to. At the same time, anyone who interrupts her quiet private time had better have a very good reason, and when the show is over there will be a cool shower and hot chocolate with a drop of genuine peppermint oil or there will be blood. Generally though, she's an upbeat person who's not hard to get along with.
--
Peppermint oil is the primary quirk of her new larynx, if she doesn't consume some after using her voice a lot it feels achy, and will eventually start sounding creaky and mechanical. For Kouyou who has already lost two vocal careers and her original throat, there is no greater horror.
--
So far, they're a throwaway reference on the page for Odyssey. I'll just copy over the applicable text:

Quote:Renée Taliaferro fronts and plays guitar for Bombastic Hush, an all-girl French-pop-influenced Electropop trio {Much the same style as the Japanese groups Pizzicato Five and Fantastic Plastic Machine} with a minor following on Mars. Some people time their trips to Odyssey so that they'll hear Renée's voice over the ATC channel. (Renée is the youngest of the senior staff; she's only 21 years old.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
"They're quite talented and have an energetic sound that makes you want to get up and move. I wouldn't mind working with Bombastic Hush on a few tracks, even if they're not my usual style of backup band." Kouyou's own backup group is called Sunshine Galaxy, but she's the only real permanent member, the rest being whoever happens to be hired for that session or gel for a particular song at Aid Society jam sessions, kind of like Steely Dan. Her usual style is pop with occasional forays into harder rock
--
and metal or ballads power and traditional, and the odd mambo or dance track voice over 'rap.' Working with people to get at the essentials of what their wavetech likes and creating something new around them is an intellectual and artistic challenge she revels in, that she is usually successful in satisfying such musical quirks and even reconciling two sets to get devices made by different people to work together is a testament to her ability.
--
Is she too recent to do "Do you remember Love" at SerenityCon?

Because those were some of the greatest moments of animation and music....
Going by what I wrote above she didn't get Up until 2015, but nothing is set in stone yet - if there's a good scene for her to be in, just move the date back to suit. She should be arriving on Mars at least six months prior, and then it would have been her first big gig since the original idol career burnt out. Better if it's a year or so, before playing to what amounts to the National Assembly... and then suddenly, ninjas! And that's just her Hidden Asteroid roadies fending off the real attackers...!
--
... there just has to be a Naruto-type among the ninja roadies, torn between grumbling over what 'guards and attendants to a foreign kage' actually amounts to, and fangasm because it's Hoshikage Kouyou! THE Hoshikage Kouyou! (and yes, I'm pretty sure the moonlight/starlight kage is the same as the ninja title... and in that paradigm her sound jutsu could be impressive enough to fit, too. Picture her forming a shield to seal a hull breach while shoving boskone soldiers back out of it, by singing at them...)
--
(recovers from the shock, and belts out a high note to capture attention while forming the shield, then abruptly changes songs and tosses enemies out through it with directing gestures and leading increasing audience participation while figuring out what to do next)

Hit the road, Cats, and don't you come back, (...)

What you say!?

Hit the road (...)

Aw, move all Zig!

Hit (...)

(by "set them up the bomb!" the remaining crowd is noncombatants, Kouyou gives silent thanks preshow jitters mean her
--
and that interior airlock doors have sealed before extending the shield into a bubble that gathers everyone up, ripping the wall open to accomodate it, and flying them to the hangars to get on ships and escape... again, all by singing at them. And once she was done she collapsed in a dead faint, because she had /no idea what she was doing and the only thing between a hundred people and asphixiation was her voice, and she's a singer, damn it, not a hero!/

Though the medal they gave her begs to differ.
--
I'm missing a few words between those posts, and they are "stomach was empty, because losing the song to vomit in the middle of what she was about to do would suck in more ways than one," They seem to have grown from what I initially planned, just like the rest of her story.
--
So, by the overwhelming wave of apathy, I take it that's not too much of a moment of awesome for a normally background character?
--
I reserve the right to edit this post into an actual answer when I am conscious.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Oh, er, right. I forget sometimes just how odd my schedule is compared to most people.
--

Ace Dreamer

All sounds good...

Musical, even! [grin]

Does she ever loose control of her music, hum to herself, and find small objects in the room dancing around her? (The scene from Disney "Beauty & The Beast".)

How safe is singing in the shower? ("I'm going to wash that man right out of my hair" comes to mind.)

The classic one, of course, is breaking wind glasses... Is other glass safe around her?

I think knowing about the music in a setting can add a lot of colour to it.
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Pages: 1 2