Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Fenspace pictures, for the fun of it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm starting to get the hang of Daz Studio... at this rate, someday I'll be a 3-D artist. (hands up, whoever gets the reference) In the meantime, practice, practice, practice... and just play with the software.

Here's some playing with the software - a scene from somewhere in Stellvia's Old Ring, some time between 2013 and 2017:

[Image: db316b174ba424170e19f21cea61847c39e16373.png]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
And then there's this one. I have no idea why R. Agatha Clay is attacking Murphy Murphy, or how she got her hands on an armed Bolitho (and he didn't), but it's an intriguing image... Does anybody want to tell me the story behind this one?

[Image: 800px-Piracy.png]
--
Rob Kelk

Oh. yes - if anyone else is making Fenspace pictures that aren't for stories or wiki entries, feel free to post them here. This thread isn't just for my work...
--
Rob Kelk

Artist's impression of Gliese 581 g, aka Zarmina's World:

[Image: sworldm.png]
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Here's Elyssa. Feel free to give her whatever information you want. She's a steampunk gun-runner for a game.
I've only put in a link due to the fact that I'm doing a lot of rendering at 1080x1920 now.
Did a smaller version of her to post here.
[Image: ElyssaSmallJ.jpg]
But, here are two ships at a reasonable resolution
[Image: HammerheadJ.jpg]
[Image: harpoonj.jpg]
Oh, and just in case there are any of those Warsies who can't get enough Steampunk . . .
[Image: SteamWarsies_zps528747e6.jpg]
Mark Skarr Wrote:Here's %[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/HandofBobb/Mark%20Skarr/Drunkards%20Walk/ElyssaJ.jpg]Elyssa]. Feel free to give her whatever information you want. She's a steampunk gun-runner for a game.
I found http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=2244_Tesla]a corner of Fenspace where she should feel right at home...
--
Rob Kelk

Here's a very early WIP for 10 Hygeia. Any changes need to be made?
[Image: 10Hygeia.png]
ETA: I've posted a better picture, but, for some reason, my cache doesn't show the higher-fidelity image.  The new image is showing at Photobucket, just not here.
ETA2:  Updated with high-rez picture.  Might go back in and darken it some.

HRogge

Mark Skarr Wrote:Here's a very early WIP for 10 Hygeia. Any changes need to be made?
[Image: 10Hygeia.png]
ETA: I've posted a better picture, but, for some reason, my cache doesn't show the higher-fidelity image.  The new image is showing at Photobucket, just not here.
ETA2:  Updated with high-rez picture.  Might go back in and darken it some.

I am not sure, but light and shadow play out a bit strange on the picture... the castle is lighted from the right, but there seems to be a shadow behind the castle... and no shadow/light effects on the asteroid surface at all.
HRogge Wrote:I am not sure, but light and shadow play out a bit strange on the picture... the castle is lighted from the right, but there seems to be a shadow behind the castle... and no shadow/light effects on the asteroid surface at all.
That's a feature of the rendering software Mark uses - the shadows should be correct in the final version. I'm reasonably sure he's asking whether there's anything missing, extra, or misplaced in the content of the image, not in its lighting.

As for that content, the only complaint I have is with the texture of the asteroid. I'd tile that map a few more times than you have, to make the differences in the colours through the mat a bit less prominent... but that's just my preference.
--
Rob Kelk

The castle is lit from its right, not the right of the picture. The light from the right is coming from reflection off the asteroid (toning that down some). Also, with no atmosphere, the left side of the castle (from the castle's perspective) is completely away from the sun. The sun is also well above the local horizon (check the orientation of the train's shadow compared to its location).
I've done some re-tiling and editing of the asteroid map and added some debris. I've also change the position of the sun to throw some shadows. Keep in mind that the location of the castle was chosen (by me) due to it's relative flatness, so the sun has to be really low to see shadows. It's back in the renderer, so, I should have a rough WIP in a few minutes.
ETA 2:  Hit enter too quick.  Those fireflys will work out over time.
ETA: [Image: 10HygeiaBig2J.jpg]
Here is the picture I'm working on for my sister (it's my skydrive folder, so it's being updated as the render progresses--nifty trick that).
The concept was "a manaborg* with some sort of exotic pet.  Make sure she's wearing some sort of adventurers clothing."  As my sister is a big fantasy fan, I went with that.  If that's something "useful" I'll be happy to let you know when the render is done if you want to use it here.
* magical cyborg for anyone who was unclear
Say, could I trouble you for a not-Fenspace image? I'd do it myself, but you already have a Doug Sangnoir model...

Email me if you're interested - robkelk -atsign- gmail.com

Edit: Oh, and is that the final render for 10 Hygeia? If it is, I'll put it on the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

@email: Sent

@10 Hygeia: You tell me . . . do you want I should make changes to it?

Any other images you want me to work on?
Can you put one of the Grover's Corners in your queue somewhere? When you come to it, ping me and I'll tell you what I have in mind for the look.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Mark Skarr Wrote:@email: Sent
And replied to.

Mark Skarr Wrote:@10 Hygeia: You tell me . . . do you want I should make changes to it?
I'm happy with it... Does anyone else want to suggest something for it?
--
Rob Kelk

Well, the 10 Hygeia image is on the wiki now. That doesn't mean we can't ask for changes later, of course... assuming Mark's willing to put up with picky clients on a volunteer job.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

Can you put one of the Grover's Corners in your queue somewhere? When you come to it, ping me and I'll tell you what I have in mind for the look.
I'm tryin', Bob.  But, at this scale, you won't be able to see too much.  It's basically operating at 1/250th scale (almost exactly, I'm impressed with how close I was when I started measuring).

ETA:  Oh, and the Geodesic domes I can find suck.  I'm looking for better ones, but, please don't be insulted, but I don't have $150 to blow on one right now.  I've got a couple in my runtime . . . and one of them works . . ..
I have a very nice flat image of a geodesic sphere I was going to use as the base of my own attempt (which I never really started), but that doesn't help you at all.
-- Bob
---------
As soon as the ReBoot picture gets fully refined (which, at this rate looks like tomorrow) I'll throw Grover's Corners in the engine and see how it comes out.
ETA:  Having scads of trouble with Grover's Corners.  Will have to look at it tomorrow with a fresh mind.
If it's too much trouble to do an exterior, forget it. Don't go out of your way.
-- Bob
---------
Sorry. Just got the internet fixed (router had a snit--just figured out the problem) and our Sedition Wars stuff came today so we've been knee-deep in new minis and rules. I'll see about trying to figure out what's wrong with what I've got for Grover's Corners. I might have to find another way to do it. Geez that's a big object to work on.
I'll just link to this one.

Meg's

Yes, I know it needs more stuff on the walls to be a proper diner. But, gods, the wallpaper that used to be there...

And, yes, Leda's always had that build. (Casts a different light on her exchange with Makoto in Legend of Galactic Girls, no?)
--
Rob Kelk

Well, MonkeyFist's foot is still jacked up, but he's just on crutches now, so I've had a day to try to work out the kinks on Grover's Corners . . . and I'm still batting crap with it. The Geodesic domes I can find aren't actually level-grounded, so they don't mesh up into a sphere. That's really annoying. But, working on something at 1/250th scale is new for me, and it's also really annoying. I might see if I can fake an interior shot. Is there a "map" of the area so I'll have an idea of what buildings to place where?
Pages: 1 2 3