Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Gn Drive + Handwavium = ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kashim27

This is a question I have on my mind since I asked about beamsabers in my earlier thread.  It came up that the GN drive & particle theory were in the Catalog and that they would not be released till 2020.  Now what would GN particles do to/with Handwavium?  What do you guys think? 

HRogge

GN ?
You've completely lost me here.

First, I have no idea what "GN drive & particle theory" refers to.

Second, Noah Scott has released everything that he's going to release from the WFC. While someone else might release more after Noah's death, Noah is still alive in 2020. (And, no, the redacted portions of the WFC are not on a computer that is connected to any network, so they can't be hacked without physical access to the computer in question - this has already been subtly shown in The South Is Rising (Someone Get a Hammer).)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
GN Drive... It's the stuff the Gundams run on in Gundam 00. Makes a lot of sparkly effects and spinning lights - it's an infinite-energy, limited power, power source with no heat signature and exotic particle emissions that muck with sensors.

Don't know much else about it.... I prefer UC

HRogge

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GN_Drive

Hmm... so GN-stuff is a plot device like Handwavium, just from a different story.

We would have to think about how "hardtech GN stuff" would work in Fenspace.
Ah. No, that was in the initial release in 2015, but somebody needed to build the tools to build the tools to build the GN drive.

As for Minoskvy particles... hmmmmm... I don't know whether they're in the WFC, but I expect the Convention would get upset if someone was to deliberately impede communications in Fenspace (even on a short-term basis).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:Ah. No, that was in the initial release in 2015, but somebody needed to build the tools to build the tools to build the GN drive.

As for Minoskvy particles... hmmmmm... I don't know whether they're in the WFC, but I expect the Convention would get upset if someone was to deliberately impede communications in Fenspace (even on a short-term basis).
We would also have to decide about the interaction of "hardtech Gundam" stuff and the normal Fenspace tech. Does it even interact with all the wave-based tech? If yes, how much can it disrupt other tech... ...
The Minovsky particle concentrations necessary to disrupt communications and radar requires dozens of mobile suits have a bloody good battle for hours to create. Or, for that matter, a few days worth of operating particle storage released all at once. Which is detectable in itself. And really, no more effective than conventional jamming, and probably easier for your average AI to blast through with proper modulation. It's not destructive... it's just mildly rude. Like being especially noisy on a bus.

kashim27

Would the GN Paticles do anything to handwavium? Also one of the things to research is quantum communications for apairate light speed real time long distance GN-free jamming communications.

HRogge

kashim27 Wrote:Would the GN Paticles do anything to handwavium? Also one of the things to research is quantum communications for apairate light speed real time long distance GN-free jamming communications.
I would say this depends on the balancing between the two universes (from the meta point-of-view).

kashim27

Looking through http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GN_Drive_Tau I figure, if I was developing GN particle tech, I would probably make the Tau drive and have it hooked up to fusion reactor or a handawium base source rather then make a true original GN Drive & muck around with trying to make one of the TD Blankets.
Edit I recommend this guy http://browse.deviantart.com/art/Dark-N ... -164871086  some really nice ships with deck plans.