Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Request for Crowdsourcing] A new religion in Fenspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going through the Faction page on the wiki (all but one of the Minor Factions now have quickie writeups, BTW) when I remembered that there were still parts of the Senshi page that weren't written. So I took a look at what wasn't there. (I patronize a very good optometrist.) One of those sections is "Religion," which currently has only the template boilerplate text:
Quote:(TO BE DEVELOPED: if there's an official religion, give it a quick description; otherwise, discuss what religions if any are practiced by noticeable groups in the faction)

My first thought here was "well, they're not Jedi or Juraians - they don't have a ready-made fictional religion."

Then I remembered I had listed Oh My Goddess! in the example list of Magical Girlfriend shows that the Senshi take inspiration from.

Then I remembered the Interdimensional Incursion Incident. Which included Skuld.

So the OMG Fen in Fenspace know full well that - somewhere in the multiverse - the religious cosmology shown in that source material isn't fictional. Which means there's a small pocket of religious activity in this subfandom and elsewhere in Fenspace that takes its tenets from the manga, anime, or both.

But I'm drawing a blank on what this religion would be like. I can't even come up with a decent name for it that doesn't step on the toes of the neo-pagans, and "Belldandy wouldn't want that to happen."

Hence the request for crowdsourcing. Any suggestions, anyone?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ross Van Loan

It seems to me that there should be a Church of the Monolith that could comfortably integrate with the Darwinian Evolutionists. The iconography & associated ritual would, of course, be based around a perfectly rectangular black body symbol god and its apostles, Kubrick & Clark. The apotheosis of the Monolith-theism would be The Bowman Rebirth, an entry into the true mandate of Universal Existence. Church music would include Also Sprach Zarathustra und Lux Aeterna.
In my latest entry in the ongoing Shegomania story, I entitled something called the Love Weld, a cleric of the Love faction of senshi empowered with parceling out nuptial duties. I will attach more detail to this as I figure out and actually write this marriage concept.
That could work too, but the people of Fenspace haven't actually found a Monolith. They have met Skuld.
--
Rob Kelk

Mm.

"Neo-Asatru" (Now without all that messy white supremacy!)
"Church of the Sisters"
"Neo-Norse" might be sufficient.

You realize that any of those fen who've also read that obscure "Drunkard's Walk" fic will realize that its cosmology probably applies, too...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Mm.

"Neo-Asatru" (Now without all that messy white supremacy!)
"Church of the Sisters"
"Neo-Norse" might be sufficient.

You realize that any of those fen who've also read that obscure "Drunkard's Walk" fic will realize that its cosmology probably applies, too...
I like "Church of the Sisters".

And I suspect Ben Rhodes has read DW...
--
Rob Kelk

Mm. I wonder if the Goddess of Gates and Ways would come into play here at some point...
-- Bob
---------
There's an important question, actually: Do we want worship of The Sisters to actually produce results, or should the adherents need to have faith that their prayers are being heard and their rituals noticed?

I'm leaning toward the latter, myself, but Mal has let magic loose in the worlds... or at least lengthened its leash.
--
Rob Kelk

I doubt its really heavily organised - not on the level of a full-blown church as such. Each individual congregation formed of like-minded individuals probably has their own idea on how to proceed with things - or inevitably has the 'Okay, how do we actually do this?' moment. Something far more decentralised than a full-blown hierarchical church as such. It fits the nature of Fenspace. Some might try and be all Norse about it - others might borrow from Wicca. Someone will eventually make a note of the diversity of ideas - even for historical record only - which becomes sort of a guide for others, and things start to agglomerate there. But coming up with full-blown hierarchical church seems a bit odd....

What exactly are the teachings of Skuld anyway? What did she do in Fenspace beyond prove that she existed? And even then, only prove that someone with the name of Skuld had unusual abilities. And did Skuld ever answer that one question people have asked of Gods since they first wondered if something larger than themselves was responsible for all the ills in their life.

"What the fuck do you want from me?"

To which the man behind the curtains whispers "All your money, oh, and kill the unbelievers. Then you'll go to heaven." (Okay maybe I am a bit cynical about religion as a whole)

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:There's an important question, actually: Do we want worship of The Sisters to actually produce results, or should the adherents need to have faith that their prayers are being heard and their rituals noticed?
I would say no to both parts... faith and worship should have no direct effect on its own.

If someone "extraterrestrial" teach magic, that might be okay.
This could probably use some work, but it's better than what was there previously (which was nothing)...
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... m#Religion

Edit: And I added it to the Religion in Fenspace page as well:
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... he_Sisters
Should we add Ross' suggestion to that page, too?
--
Rob Kelk

I've no problem with the odder ones being added...

One I've been mucking with myself is the Church of the Imperial Truth - popular amongst Warhammer 40,000 fen who understand that the Grimdark is really supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek. With the future Emperor of mankind still working in the Shadows, secular rationalism is the light that shows the way to the future. It is a belief in order and structure. Adherands believe that humanity as a whole must come first over the individual man, with endurance through hardship and diligent duty being the highest virtues. Adherands often use hymns or liturgies to focus their minds and banish thoughts of self-doubt. Venial heresy comes in many forms - from self-doubt and despair and nihilism, through to minor violations of the law. Mortal Heresy consists of murder, various crimes of an odious nature, crimes against humanity as a whole, and referring to Matt Ward a good writer.

Death is not something to be feared - merely the natural consequence of life, especially in a place as dangerous as space where death may come at any time. Reminders of mortality such as skulls are a common form of decoration. The reward for virtuous life is the peace of death, rather than paradise.

The Adepta Sororitas and the Grey Knights are amongst the most fanatical believers, giving themselves body and soul over to the Truth. There are those have started to claim that The Emperor may even be the origin of handwavium, while some radicals have even begun actively searching for Him, or pointing to historical figures who may even have been Him. Rumours of 'miracles' are shared in hushed whispers.

On the other side of things... there are rumours of those who find the rigid structures it imposes uncomfortable, and have turned to 'darker' forms of worship.

An offshoot of this is the Cult Mechanicus, preached by the Tech- Priests of the Temple of Syrinx on Mars, who hold human knowledge - especially technological knowledge - above all else. Since their inception, they have been working to archive the technologies and techniques to construct all forms of human technology - from the lowliest stone tools up through a working computer and a Saturn V rocket and beyond. An originally unrelated sister-project of the Alexandria archive, it's a thankless and difficult task with some designs being painstakingly reverse engineered while others are willingly submitted. A side effect of their efforts is that they happen to have developed an efficient roadmap for DIY planetary colonisation and a number of Standard Construction Templates for colony machinery adaptable to planetary conditions. They pay for their endeavours through the sale of master-crafted items such as Bolters, Chainswords, Fusion-drives and cogitator units. While far from the most powerful, easily used or advanced, Mechanicus technology is legendarily reliable - so long as it's properly cared for.

The Church of Imperial Truth remains the only religion outside of Free-Zone Scientologists to have been sued by its originator.
I imagine syncretic religions are popular in Fenspace. People pray to different gods depending on context: Skuld or Hephasteus if it involves technology, Belldandy (to use the OMG rendering) or Vár for vows and contracts, Belldandy or Hestia for matters of hearth and home, Raven or Coyote to buy luck and pay in dignity, and so on.

richardson

Well, on the other hand, it might be tough for too many new religions to form. After all, existing religions now have something they can jump on and claim is 'proof' that they are right. Namely, the quite frankly supernatural aspects of handwavium.

It's a cheat code to the universe, it refuses to commit violence, it knows what you are dreaming of and it tries to mold itself to that dream when you try and use it.

A miracle if I've ever heard of one. So, what about new branches of existing religions?
It's probably too soon for a formal sect to appear, but there would probably be some (possibly-contradictory) opinions prevalent in the existing sects.

Your description of handwavium-as-miracle has me wondering whether anyone would base a new religion on handwavium itself, though...
--
Rob Kelk

richardson

robkelk Wrote:It's probably too soon for a formal sect to appear, but there would probably be some (possibly-contradictory) opinions prevalent in the existing sects.

Your description of handwavium-as-miracle has me wondering whether anyone would base a new religion on handwavium itself, though...
Personally speaking, as something I would be a part of, I would expect at least christians who are fen would form at least one new sect fairly quickly (2-3 years, certainly before the war), though that may split up into various subfactions as more come Up and they start splintering off based off of various lines. Catholic fen would break back off fairly quickly, and I'm not too sure beyond that.  I would also not be all that surprised if Fen Christians ended up rapidly becoming a major bug hunter group, possibly based off of the reasoning that 'God brought us Up. He wants us to tell the stars the gospel'.  

Nowhere near as bad as Jehova's Witnesses, but I would expect something like the early days of christianity thanks to a large chunk of fen leadership being atheistic. Lots of small groups renting out storefronts and witnessing out of them, that sort of thing. irritating, but mostly harmless. (there would, unfortunately, be exceptions though.)
Quote:(there would, unfortunately, be exceptions though.)
I suppose we should take some comfort in the likelihood that handwavium would not work for the Westboro Baptist Church...
-- Bob
---------
I'm coming back to this meta-topic, and have asked more widely for ideas...

Steve Jackson Games Forums > All Hail Discordia! > General Chatter > Thought Exercise: Religion in Space

I'm keeping a copy in my own records, since SJGames Forums GenChat threads are routinely pruned after a couple of months of inactivity.
--
Rob Kelk

richardson

Quote:Bob Schroeck
Quote:(there would, unfortunately, be exceptions though.)
I suppose we should take some comfort in the likelihood that handwavium would not work for the Westboro Baptist Church...
I can't even see them wanting up.  No, I'm not talking about the source of all evil. Just the lesser evils. Televangelists preying on AI's, the occasional religious fundie indocrinist, so on and so forth. 

Oddly, the Roman Catholic church might turn out nice, what with the new pope. 
and unfortunately jihadists wanting it all to stop as being "unnatural" and "Against Allah", and note i have Specifically stayed away from writing those stories, even though i have them bouncing around in my head

Worse yet, jihadists against it because it puts the infidels out of their reach unless they can buy their way up, because handwavium won't work for them, either. Which contributes to the "against Allah" yammering, because of course if it weren't against Allah, it would help them kill Westerners.
-- Bob
---------
and i repeat, i have specifically avoided writing these stories regardless of how much of it bounces around my head

Check the link that I've already put on the Religion in Fenspace wiki page. Travel for business purposes is halal.
--
Rob Kelk