Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: FenWiki - any questions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking at the Help page on the wiki, and wondering whether it's complete...
http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Help:Contents

Are there any other questions that should be answered there? I'm too close to it; I've never known what it's like to be a newcomer to the wiki, so I don't know what else might be puzzling folks who've come by in the last year or two.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

Maybe we should add an advice to come with the first idea for a Fenspace contribution to the forum EARLY... better ask what people think about the rough concept than working out a whole timeline, tech and persons only to discover that people on the forum disagree how to make this work in Fenspace.
Excellent idea, and done.
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Another idea, maybe we should state somewhere that Fenspace up to Season 2 (or even 3) yet has to develop full "von neumann" capable construction tech... at least not without Fen being part of the replication process.

(edit)because "von neumann!" is often an excuse how small factions build oversized things

Ross Van Loan

Have there been so many of the puzzled that we need to start housing them in indoctrination camps? I, for one, will not stick around for long if I find myself corralled by a Ministry of Content. Barring socially egregious behaviours & seriously warped stories and misuses of established characters, oversights & errors can be retroactively corrected through the existing mechanism of 'Add Reply'. The trick is not to meddle so far beyond the patience of your pack of pen pliers that you begin to loose them to the rules.

HRogge

The problem is we lost quite a few new writers because they came with a "huge" and ready made concept of their story to the forum... and unfortunately were unwilling to adapt it to Fenspace.

"Talk early" is a good way to prevent this in my opinion.
I think you're both saying the same thing, but from radically different directions... How's this:

It's important to remember that Fenspace is a collective work - one person's ideas might for the basis of an excellent story on their own, but those same ideas might not fit into the Fenspace that has developed over the years. Nobody gets to smother someone else's creativity without a good reason, but "using creativity that way would smother someone else's creativity" is a good reason. We prefer people ask for feedback at an early stage of the creative process.
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Sounds good for me.
How's the page look to everyone now?

(The link at the bottom points to this thread...)
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Looks quite good...

I think we should also cross-reference the help page in the quick-start guide. So that wherever new people go, they will easily find both pages.
The help page already has a link in the main navigation box - do we need to link it elsewhere as well?
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:The help page already has a link in the main navigation box - do we need to link it elsewhere as well?
We also linked the "Quick Start Guide" on the help page... both are in the navigation box.

Some people might think "Help" is for technical/navigation help.
looks good to me

Agreed. Although maybe there should be a link along the lines of "If you're looking for technical help on using the wiki, go here..."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
We can do that. Is there a "here" to go to, though? (It doesn't have to be on the FenWiki.)
--
Rob Kelk

It's MediaWiki, right? Link to http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents]this.
-- Bob
---------
Added, and the entries sorted into broad categories. Did I err anywhere?

(Oh, Bob, just ask Mal or me if you need your password reset...)
--
Rob Kelk

No, I don't; I just don't have it handy when I'm at work.
-- Bob
---------