Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Museums in Fenspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've been musing lately; what sort of museums are there in Fenspace. Especially ones that're dedicated to Fennish milestones and historxy. What would be in them? We already know that there's something on Greenwood, while I moved SS Ciara and Destiny Nova to museum-ship status as of 2023 because one was old, and another is the only enemy craft of its type captured.

Now generally, havin a museum relies on the people be finished with the things they put in there for whatever reason. So, for tge Interplanetary Museum of Fenspace, what do we put in it to preserve for the ages and who do we highlight?

As to what should be exhibited, or at the least stored... Definitely the earliest noteworthy ships would end up on display once they're retired from active service: the Uncertainty (first ship Up), the original Pthicka (first ship to make a big impression in the 'Danelaw), the Epsilon Blade (first purpose-built fenship), whatever ship Mary Zeiger took to be the first person to reach Mars, the Phoenix (first ship to make a successful interstellar trip), and the Magnificent Midnight, to name just a few, would all end up in the Interplanetary Museum of Fenspace once their current occupants or owners are finished with them.

The Convention as a whole and each of the noteworthy factions would have something on display - including the original Articles of Convention (behind tight security; let's not risk them being stolen or vandalized), models of Utopia Planitia and Crystal Tokyo in their early years, decent maps of Serenity Valley and Kandor City, a sample of Gate metal ... and a Catgirling Machine.

Who to highlight: Gagarin and Armstrong, of course. Katz Schrödinger and the aforementioned Mary Zeiger. The Jason and The Professor, Chris Marsden and Noah Scott, Bjo Trimble and Tanith Curtis. Asomdeus Grey. The people who made a difference, one way or another.

At the least. No doubt I'm forgetting some very important items.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:As to what should be exhibited, or at the least stored... Definitely the earliest noteworthy ships would end up on display once they're retired from active service: the Uncertainty (first ship Up), the original Pthicka (first ship to make a big impression in the 'Danelaw), the Epsilon Blade (first purpose-built fenship), whatever ship Mary Zeiger took to be the first person to reach Mars, the Phoenix (first ship to make a successful interstellar trip), and the Magnificent Midnight, to name just a few, would all end up in the Interplanetary Museum of Fenspace once their current occupants or owners are finished with them.

Let's not forget to mention the vehicle that first publicly demonstrated the strange abilities of handwavium.
Tennie Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:As to what should be exhibited, or at the least stored... Definitely the earliest noteworthy ships would end up on display once they're retired from active service: the Uncertainty (first ship Up), the original Pthicka (first ship to make a big impression in the 'Danelaw), the Epsilon Blade (first purpose-built fenship), whatever ship Mary Zeiger took to be the first person to reach Mars, the Phoenix (first ship to make a successful interstellar trip), and the Magnificent Midnight, to name just a few, would all end up in the Interplanetary Museum of Fenspace once their current occupants or owners are finished with them.

Let's not forget to mention the vehicle that first publicly demonstrated the strange abilities of handwavium.
That's the Uncertainty.
--
Rob Kelk

I was under the impression that it would've been that one car owned by that Japanese guy who showed it off at that one convention...or am I misremembering the chronology?
Quote:Tennie wrote:
I was under the impression that it would've been that one car owned by that Japanese guy who showed it off at that one convention...or am I misremembering the chronology?
That's what I remember, I think he never took it out of the atmosphere for that. Uncertainty may have been the first waved vehicle to reach space though.
Different definitions of "demonstrated", I suppose. Anybody can fake a 100MPG carburetor, but flying into space is pretty much proof that something's been done to the vessel.
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Hmm... the SS Uncertainty in a museum.

Lets start a fun rumor that Trigon is still living within the ship. Wink