Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A Random Paranoid Thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How long after That Con did it take before the FBI, NSA, and any other law enforcement/intelligence agency that wanted in on the game started sending agents to every 2-bit gaming and SF convention they could find?  After all, handwavium did arrive on the scene well after the post-9/11 loosening of the reins.
I'm thinking there's the potential for a story or six there... 
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
No matter what the time lag was, there's bound to be somebody who thinks there's a conspiracy. Never mind that That Con was the first time anybody was ever known to have been biomodded.

But what's the conspiracy?

"The Government experimented on innocent civilians in order to crack down on handwavium!"

"The Government knew ahead of time what would happen if innocent civilians consumed handwavium, and they did it anyway to try to get super-soldiers!"

"The Fen experimented on innocent civilians in order to get The Government to crack down on handwavium, making Fenspace more attractive to the libertarians!"

(Meanwhile, the paranoid Fen are certain that it's the Professor's fault.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Ross Van Loan

How about 'Wavium was brought back from the moon in the 60s or recovered, as was the Andromeda Strain,  from a crashed satellite. It either escaped the holding facility (see The Blob, or The Stuff) or was allowed to 'leak' as a form of highly, highly, highly unethical study. Perhaps all of Fen is under constant observation by shadowy men taking shadowy notes and collecting shadowy data until such time as The Government is ready to move in and recover Handwavium for their own Orwellian agendas.
as for the orriginal question i would say 6 weeks at the most, probably more like 2-4 at a guess, Feebies arent good for a lot but they are johnny on the spot for sticking their collective noses where they arent exactly wanted