Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: ]META] A bit of "found philosophy"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Spotted in http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=18]this post on the SJ Games forums, as a comment on a discussion between two published Traveller writers:
Hans Rancke-Madsen Wrote:... I'm not a fanatic. A change that is a vast improvement can be justified. But a small improvement? No. Even though it belongs to a single person, the Traveller universe is a shared creation, and in a shared creation you shouldn't change things around just because you like your own version better. ...
Replace "Traveller" with "Fenspace" and you've got something that I think applies here.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, except that Fenspace explicitly does not belong to a single person: Mal is the Original Genius and retains Powers of Mod, but he's expressed the sentiment that Fenspace belongs to the Collective as a whole.

Ross Van Loan

Orwell's that ends well.
Well, we do turn to Mal whenever there's a deadlock to be broken... "Powers of Mod" is close enough to "owner" for this purpose, IMHO.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

Ross Van Loan Wrote:Orwell's that ends well.
I think we have a good "rough" consensus what Fenspace is within the active group of writers... but as we have seen its not easy for people interested in Fenspace to recognize this consensus, which cost us a few new active writers.