Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC] A Grand Old Flag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was tinkering with a few things... No! Wait! Let me explain! Not the bees NOT THE BEES

*ahem*

I was fiddling around with graphics this weekend & ended up redesigning the Convention flag a little. Not like a ground-up reworking or anything, just redid the center device to it looked a little less, ah, slapdash. I do like the spaceship & sun device, it's almost like the Fen have accidentally fallen into building a Galactic Empire. Big Grin However, since it's a bit of a change from the one on the wiki I thought I'd put it up for comment before I did anything rash like replace it wholesale. So without further ado...

The current version, for reference purposes:
[Image: Flag_of_the_Fenspace_Convention.png]

The redone version:
[Image: UmI25lY.png]

Whaddya think, sirs?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I do like the retro ship look - very stylish and not as "cluttered" as the current version. And the concentric rings on the sun make it look somewhat like an official seal, which seems appropriate for an official instrument such as a flag.

But, gosh, the spaceship on the current version looks more like the ground-to-orbit ship in Stellvia (the anime) than the rocketship does... so I'm torn.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
My suggestion would be to keep the old version on hand for Candle in the Dark, as the spaceship in it looks like a Battletech Dropship, maybe center it over the starburst more.

Incidentally, has there been any progress on CitD lately?
Terrace Wrote:My suggestion would be to keep the old version on hand for Candle in the Dark, as the spaceship in it looks like a Battletech Dropship, maybe center it over the starburst more.

Funny story: The old version started as a sketch for the BTRR. They had a flag thread up & the submitted designs were kinda dire, so I threw a few concepts in. Went nowhere (as it did) so I repurposed it for Fenspace.

Quote:Incidentally, has there been any progress on CitD lately?

[Image: Cat-Soon.jpg]

Yes all are working on various things for it but are hitting various blocks as well. Fragging Tharkadian winters....

I like them bothi would say use the old one for the flag and the new one for the confederation seal.

Any further comments?

None here, save that I like Terrace's idea.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

HRogge

I am fine with the new version. Smile
Is it ironic if I like the old ship with the new sun?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Maybe a little?

Okay, I'll see what I can do about combining the two concepts once I get back to my desktop. If it looks okay...

(gonna be a busy night)

HRogge

"We should be lucky about their choice of flag."

"Why?"

"They talked about animating it for a while... that would be a headache for everyone!"
Hokay, so I took the old ship design & combined it with the newer sun design (note I redrew the old ship becacuse goddamn that ship was an ugly & dirty sketch that should never have seen the light of day), and:

[Image: K5HEHDi.png]
It doesn't look too bad but it feels lopsided. Tried a build with a more egglike ship and enh:

[Image: ilpaE8o.png]

Comments? I'd like to get this done one way or another ASAP.

Edit: One last thing before I reopen the floor to comments. When it comes down to it, I really do prefer the pointy spaceship (spaceship spaceship SPACESHIP!) to the round one, for a couple of reasons. First of all I just think it looks better, the long thin rocket balances out the stacked circles of the sub without overwhelming it and the extra length means it's not as asymmetrical. Second, the rocket design (at least I think) is part of the Fenspace brand. That's the rocket from the wiki logo, the Space Patrol shield and a couple other places I can't remember offhand. It's an old-school design and generic enough that it can be embraced by all fen. Or at least that's the idea.

Okay, enough rambling from me, tell me what you think.

I like the "more egglike ship" ... but you make a good case for the rocket.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I think the fatter ship looks kind of silly..... It just doesn't fit the sleek, modern, new image.

Also, I can tell someone watched the LEGO Movie recently. Or at least has noticed the LEGO sets tied to it. Smile
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I like the thin, old school rocket too.  And the new starburst is quite nice.
Welp, unless someone has very strong opinions on the subject and hasn't commented yet, I think this qualifies as a general consensus for the new design. The flag on the wiki has been updated accordingly.

... yeah, go with the rocket. Now that I've seen the egg and the round one together I can't look at them without thinking "overlord" and "union", and, well.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.