Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Trouble with Fenspace Mediawiki under Chrome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HRogge

Hi, our Fenspace wiki has trouble rendering correctly in Chrome, most likely because of some ancient KHTML bug workaround (see http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=346638 ).

Are there still people using KHTML anymore? Maybe we could fix the KHTMLfixes.css file?
The trouble's not with Fenspace, it's with Chrome. It's the least standards-compliant browser there is. They embrace the existing standards, then extend them....

Google's doing exactly what Microsoft used to do.

HRogge

Dartz Wrote:The trouble's not with Fenspace, it's with Chrome. It's the least standards-compliant browser there is. They embrace the existing standards, then extend them....

Google's doing exactly what Microsoft used to do.
If you follow the link you will learn about the problem...

its a fix that thinks someone is still using KHTML. Chrome is just interpreting what the webpage browser detection generates... in this case its just stupid output.
As far as I can tell, the FenWiki is standards-compliant - it shows up just fine in Firefox/SeaMonkey, IE, and Safari, using a couple of the available skins. (Haven't tried Opera yet.)

I'd suggest "getting a real browser".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:As far as I can tell, the FenWiki is standards-compliant - it shows up just fine in Firefox/SeaMonkey, IE, and Safari, using a couple of the available skins. (Haven't tried Opera yet.)

I'd suggest "getting a real browser".
The problem is Mediawiki is using browser detection and sends out different things to different browsers... it fails with Chrome at the moment.

*sigh* okay forget it... was worth the try to get it fixes.
Well, part of the problem is we're about... seven versions behind the current release of MediaWiki. So there's that then.

(Will we upgrade? Probably yeah at some point, it just scares the willies out of me.)
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

HRogge

M Fnord Wrote:Well, part of the problem is we're about... seven versions behind the current release of MediaWiki. So there's that then.

(Will we upgrade? Probably yeah at some point, it just scares the willies out of me.)

The problem is a single file called "KHTMLFixes.css" which contains a single style command:
KHTMLFixes.css Wrote:/* KHTML fix stylesheet */
/* work around the horizontal scrollbars */
#column-content { margin-left: 0; }

I just blocked the line by using the "Stylish" extension for chrome and the custom style:
Quote:DIV#column-content {
margin-left: -12.2em !important;
}

now everything works fine (for me).