Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [meta] Science marches on. Do we march with it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know we've decided that politics and other human endeavors have diverged sufficiently that we don't need to update the setting to reflect whats happening outside our windows. Have we made any decisions on hard-science discoveries?

The specific case: We have a page for "Zarmina's World," a.k.a. Gliese 581g. It doesn't exist. Luckily, nobody's done anything substantial with the Gliese 581 system yet. Do we change the FenWiki?

The general rule should be worked out, too, so folks don't have to ask every time something like this happens.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Personally, I'd leave the wiki as-is in this particular case, because we're not going to have absolutely unequivocal confirmation one way or the other until and unless someone comes out with a working FTL drive.

More generally, I think we should probably just make it a rule that any new scientific discoveries that outright contradict major plot points in canon did not happen in Fenspace.
Or until somebody finally builds a telescope capable of direct imaging exosolar planets, at any rate.

Anyway. I'm not against fudging things for the sake of verisimilitude, like the rework I did on the Tau Ceti system when the new info on that system dropped, but on the whole I think Jake's got the right idea.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I'm a mix of both.

Canon stories come first. It's highly unlikely that anything massively contradictory will happen, however. But at the same time, I've nothing against updating 'unused' sections of the universe to match changes in reality if they happen.
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I like the general rule.

For the specific case, there's one short paragraph on the Gliese 581g page that's Fenspace-specific, but that paragraph can easily be moved to the Gliese 581 page. Somebody who isn't about to go on a road trip in half an hour can make the appropriate fixes.
--
Rob Kelk

What Bob said. I'm cool with it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
For the specific case, it appears we have a simple patch:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140709.html
--
Rob Kelk