Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: So ... Ceres
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We're just now discovering things about Ceres that the folks in Fenspace discovered a half-decade or more ago. Does anyone want to take this opportunity to flesh out our article about the dwarf planet?

At the least, http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150630.html]this formation needs a name - which I suggest we choose before an official name is given to it, to help show Fenspace isn't this timeline.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Threepony

I'd imagine the locals would have all sorts of interesting unofficial names. Like 'That freaking pyramid', or 'Mount Aliens-did-it' or such because of all the conspiracy theorists that would likely start up and bleat on forever.

The actual name would possibly be that of a fallen astronaut. Maybe. Dunno. 

It's probably some form of cryovolcano, though. Maybe.
Mt. Dickbutt.
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
uh, Ranger, that might not be the best idea, mountains with that kind of profile tend to be, you know, volcanic.

They also tend to be connected with local religions (although this isn't a hard-and-fast rule). Maybe the FenChurch has some sort of facility on or near the mountain?

This doesn't help name the peak, but it might give some context...
--
Rob Kelk

Threepony

Rajvik Wrote:uh, Ranger, that might not be the best idea, mountains with that kind of profile tend to be, you know, volcanic.
If it was classically volcanic, it's basically dead at this point. Just as Mars was too small to retain its heat, Ceres is waaaaaaaay too small to retain enough heat to remain volcanically active.
Hmm...

"The largest settlement on Ceres is Port Ceres, which sits at the foot of the dwarf planet's largest mountain Mount Tam(1)...

(1) Named for the highest point in Marin County, California, not the Firefly characters."
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

HRogge

Dartz Wrote:Mt. Dickbutt.
That is just boring...

I vote for "Mount 'we could not decide about the name'".

That happens when you have a heated discussion and a clever Pratchett fan in the group!
HRogge Wrote:
Dartz Wrote:Mt. Dickbutt.
That is just boring...

I vote for "Mount 'we could not decide about the name'".

That happens when you have a heated discussion and a clever Pratchett fan in the group!
Mt. Justpickanamealready
--
Rob Kelk

In the grand tradition of Victorian British exploration, Mount "That's Your Finger, You Idiot".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
(somebody grabs the registration papers and writes in "After-School Teatime", but is restrained before being able to file the form)
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Bob Schroeck Wrote:In the grand tradition of Victorian British exploration, Mount "That's Your Finger, You Idiot".
No natives to ask for the name, sorry... Wink
Quote:HRogge wrote:
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
In the grand tradition of Victorian British exploration, Mount "That's Your Finger, You Idiot".
No natives to ask for the name, sorry... Wink
The first one out the hatch gets to slather green makeup on their face and wear deelybobbers in order to fulfill the requirements of tradition.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Weren't the Soviets the first to reach Ceres? (Or were they just the first to make a movie about it?) I can see Mal and Deidre arguing about who ends up wearing the makeup...
--
Rob Kelk

Port Ceres was a thing well before the Soviets arrived. It's the largest object in the belt after all, so pretty much target #1 for people who've read too much Niven & the rest of the proto-Belter culture. Wink
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"