Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Prompt] Helium Independent Pilots' Guild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In Dartz's latest Prompt thread, I just established that Ramona Jackson's public email address is "rj(a)pilotsguild.helium.fen". That implies the existence of a pilots' guild.

So, tell me about the Helium Independent Pilots' Guild. All I know right now is that it's based in Helium, and Ramona Jackson is a member.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Threepony

Well, for one I'd expect them to have overlap with the Phobos guild, or the Phobos guild of independent pilots might be a subset of the Helium guild given the overlap of traffic between the two places.
It's a popular myth that the final flight test you have to undertake to join (Rumor claims it's an unpowered atmospheric entry) must be performed naked. This is untrue. Like everything in Helium, nudity is optional.
Their nickname for themselves is "the HIPsters", but god save anyone from outside the guild who uses it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh! Obviously the guild exists because Helium's large airfield and low hangar fees attracted a lot of independent pilots to the city. When they discovered each of them couldn't compete with the "big boys", they banded together to get on a more even footing with the competition.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
The rumor that all pilots in the Guild are required to modify their radios to raise the frequency of their voices three octaves is completely unfounded.
Quote:Duane Peters wrote:
The rumor that all pilots in the Guild are required to modify their radios to raise the frequency of their voices three octaves is completely unfounded.
It's actually a quirk of Helium's radio equipment in the airfield tower if anyone raises their voice beyond calm professional outside of a genuine emergency.
Quote:It's a popular myth that the final flight test you have to undertake to join (Rumor claims it's an unpowered atmospheric entry) must be performed naked. This is untrue.
It is true that you have to prove yourself clever by using legal trickery to _legally_ annoy the H.G. Wells Spaceport ATC somehow for about an hour using Pavonis' ill-worded flight laws.