Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Liberals more mentally flexible than conservatives?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

rmthorn

New Scientist linky
Given there seem to be people here from both sides of the political spectrum, I thought this might be of interest.
My favourite bit:
Quote:
Out of the 500 trials that each subject completed, he or she was presented with the same letter 80% of the time. This meant that the participants felt compelled to press the same button repeatedly.
(snip)
When the less common letter did appear on the screen, the people who identified themselves as more conservative (rating themselves somewhere between 1 and 5 on the initial questionnaire) pressed the "usual" button 47% of the time instead of switching to the correct button.
By comparison, the "liberals" who placed themselves between -5 and -1 on the questionnaire responded more readily to the new signal and achieved the slightly lower error rate of 37%
There's a pretty good analysis from Dave Munger at ScienceBlogs here, that brings up points about the size and scope of this study.
Edit: And here is some commentary by Jonah Goldberg on the study that raises some additional points.
--The Twisted One"Welcome to Fanboy Hell. You will be spending eternity here, in a small room with Jar-Jar Binks and Dobby the house-elf."
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire