Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Outrageous new bill in Mississippi…
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
…which, if passed, would make it illegal for restaurants to serve food to any
person who is obese. Many people, myself included, have made comments online about
this egregious example of nanny-state incroachment on individual freedoms.

--The Twisted One
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
... Not to mention that, you know, just because you're overweight doesn't mean you can just *not eat* until you stop being so.

(And yeah, you might be better off cooking your own food, but even for me, who hates eating out, sometimes that just isn't practical. Like, oh, when
you're a hundred miles from a kitchen you can call your own?)

-Morgan.
I saw an article on this before this thread appeared, and it included something that people seem to be overlooking. The politician who proposed it doesn't actually intend or expect it to become law -- it's just an intentional ploy simply to focus attention on the problem of American obesity and eating habits, using the time-honored method of suggesting something incredibly outrageous as a solution, in order to get people talking about reasonable approaches.

Of course, Finagle and Murphy being who they are, this may end up passed despite his intentions.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:it's just an intentional ploy simply to focus attention on the problem of American obesity and eating habits, using the time-honored method of suggesting something incredibly outrageous as a solution, in order to get people talking about reasonable approaches.

It's called 'moving the Overton window.'

--The Twisted One
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire