Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Anonymous Puts Westboro Baptist Church On Notice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:We will target your public Websites, and the propaganda &
detestable doctrine that you promote will be eradicated; the damage
incurred will be irreversible, and neither your institution nor your
congregation will ever be able to fully recover.
http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=449
Westboro replies "God is our firewall," essentially.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
*Gets out popcorn*
This could be entertaining. ^_^
I hear it's a hoax being perpetrated by the WBC themselves, trying to portray themselves as less worse than Anonymous. I wouldn't put it past them. They're all about getting noticed, and what better way to get noticed than by claiming to be under attack by the internet enemy of the day.

And if it isn't.... You willing to share the popcorn Logan?

Quote:The only reason the internet exists is for the Westboro Baptist Church to tell this nation and the world that your destruction is nigh

It's been nigh for the last 2 millenia.

Quote:While giving another Tsunami of coverage to Westboro's message

Now thar's the real agenda here.

As an aside, I ran up Nmap to see what sort of OS/firewall God uses.... it'll be finished soon enough.
Much as I dislike Anonymous... yeah, that's not gonna work. Anonymous offends me the same way Youtube and news comments do, as in I'm embarrased to be a member of a species capable of that level of stupid. On the other hand, the Westboro church fills me with rage, as a Catholic and even just as a person, everytime they open their mouths and claim to be following the word of God.
Of course, I don't really see Anonymous making much of a dent in Westboro's filth mongering, dropping their website probably won't really do much other than annoy them.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Dartz Wrote:I hear it's a hoax being perpetrated by the WBC themselves, trying to portray themselves as less worse than Anonymous. I wouldn't put it past them. They're all about getting noticed, and what better way to get noticed than by claiming to be under attack by the internet enemy of the day.

And if it isn't.... You willing to share the popcorn Logan?
By all means. *passes popcorn over*
And I'd put some money down on it being real. But I predict it won't be a very effective attack.
*stops to think about it a moment*
Then again... The last time anonymous went up collectively against some other reprehensible group it was the Scientologists, who, though seeming to have delusions about controlling the REST of the internet, seem to at least be a little more effective in policing their own turf. (Infamously so)
I bet if the Westboro stuff gets hacked, that:
1) They won't have the technical savvy to stop it, being nearly luddites. And...
2) Will find it DAMN difficult to find anyone willing to help them.
Then again, on the gripping hand, getting any coordination out of anonymous has to be the closest example to herding cats I've ever seen. Tongue
WBC fails, forever.
http://www.escapistmagazi...ge-Fake-Anonymous-Threat
http://www.siliconrepubli...hacktivists-deny-attack/
http://anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=494

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Ah well.

I'm dissapointed, but not surprised really. It does fit their usual MO.
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I can't help but expect the next thing to be, "But you know, it's not a bad idea..."

And hey, I can't imagine something that wastes the WBC's time being a bad thing...

-Morgan.

CattyNebulart

They will sue those IP's that they catch, it's how they get funding.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
That's difficult if it comes from outside the US, isn't it? '.'
Ah well. A bit disappointing. And in retrospect definitely tracks the attention whoring of the WBC. But my estimation of anonymous general savvy has gone up a notch. I might not LIKE anonymous, but I can respect them somewhat.
I don't know if this is just laugh-inducing or facepalm-worthy, but either way, it's something.
http://www.escapistmagazi...Church-on-Live-Talk-Show

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Okay - my estimation of Anonymous' savvy just went WAY UP!
"over 9000 sins!" LOL
And them taking barely a couple of minutes to decide "OK, bitch, we -weren't- pissed off before, but NOW you're going to get it!" And then handing them their collective asses while still talking to this raving psycho in an even calm manner...
Well played, anon, well played indeed!
I almost find it hard to believe that nobody at the WBC could figure this out:
If you poke the asshole of the internet enough times, you're going to get shat upon!
But then I remember how utterly psychotic and clueless they are and I'm not surprised at all.
Simply amazing to listen to. (And to watch - is her rictus of a smile the most FUCKING CREEPY thing or what?)

-Logan
--------------------
"I am GILGAMESH WULFENBACH, little
man -
and there is NOTHING I couldn't do, had I cause!

"And now... I have one! Do. You.
UNDERSTAND?"

--------------------

CattyNebulart

+1 for agreement with darklighter. Also for anonymous'es savvy consider the HB Gray hack, they provide computer security to the federal government among other things. Epic fail right there, and some disturbing relevations. Ars tehcnica has some good articles on it.

I also like how anonymous was sticking by their free speech principles for so long, until they decided they had taken enough abuse.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Well, it just goes to show you. They themselves have forgotten a very well known proverb: Judge not, lest ye be judged. So, I'm just wondering... should we all start asking them how that humble pie tastes? *wicked grin*
Pie? How about Crow? Delicious Crow! Baked Crow? Fried? Sauteed? Fricasseed? Served with fava beans and a nice Chianti? 

Choke on it! Big Grin
I was about to say crow pie, but I thought that would be too bad. You, sir, have proven me wrong. Wink
On an only slightly tangental note, Teknikal Diffikulties lampooned the WBC this week with the Eastboro Starry Wisdom Church, owners and creators of the website, Cthulhu Hates Fags.com. Also owners and creators of the websites Cthulhu Hates Jews.com, Cthulhu Hates Muslims.com, and Cthulhu Hates America.com, because - let's face it - Cthulhu hates everybody.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
And speaking of the Pastor of Muppets

US Supreme Court rules that the WBC's protests at funerals are constitutionally protected, despite the pain they cause.

Quote:A Kansas church known for its angry, anti-gay protests at funerals of U.S. troops won an appeal Wednesday at the Supreme Court in a case testing the competing constitutional rights of free speech and privacy.

In an 8-1 ruling, the justices said that members of Westboro Baptist Church had a right to promote what they call a broad-based message on public matters such as wars. The father of a fallen Marine had sued the small church, saying those protests amounted to targeted harassment and an intentional infliction of emotional distress.

"Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and -- as it did here -- inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the majority.

So. You have the freedom to stand at the top of a mountain wearing a copper suit in a thunderstorm, scream "God is a Bastard".... but don't be surprised if you get hit by a lightning bolt, Mr. Phelps.

They're causing a lot of pain to people during an emotionally tough time.... I'm surprised somebody hasn't lost the head with them yet.