Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Rush Limbaugh Rips Off D&D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...by stealing a Monster Manual illustration for the cover of his most recent newsletter.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh, definitely copyright infringement. I wonder how ole'Rush is going to explain this one?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

khagler

He'll probably claim it's fair use--that's what political propagandists generally do when copying other people's work. During the last presidential campaign there was a very widely distributed poster for the Obamessiah Hopenchange that led to the AP suing the guy who created the poster for copying an AP photo. He claimed fair use, and ended up settling out of court.
... The possibility that the guy whose name is on the image is responsible never occurred to you?

-Morgan.
Given that the article includes a quote from the artist commenting on his work being copied? No.
I was referring to Hiers, not Reynolds.

khagler

It depends on whether he did it as a work for hire or not--if he did, it's on the newletter's publisher. If not, it's on Hiers alone.
ordnance11 Wrote:Oh, definitely copyright infringement.
How?

Trademark infringement, maybe - it depends on whether WotC trademarked that particular image. But this isn't a tracing or a photostat; there are enough differences to make this "derivative" rather than "copy"...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
At the very least I'd say he deserves to be lampooned by the entire gaming community.
khagler Wrote:It depends on whether he did it as a work for hire or not--if he did, it's on the newletter's publisher. If not, it's on Hiers alone.

About what I was thinking.

Either way, my main point is that while Limbaugh may be involved in a chain of responsibility for this, talking about the situation like he *personally* made the image is a bit ridiculous.

-Morgan.
In my defense, I want to say that I meant it in the sense of "Rush Limbaugh, Inc.'s media machine rips of D&D", not "Rush Limbaugh personally traced that picture and then pasted his head on it before claiming it entirely as his own work."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.