Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: If you build it, they will come - NFL economics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:The city of Carson, California approved plans Tuesday night for
a $1.7 billion NFL stadium to be shared by the Raiders and Chargers,
the second NFL facility green-lit in as many months in Southern
California.  In February, Inglewood approved a $1.8 billion stadium for the St. Louis Rams to be built near Los Angeles International Airport.
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/busin ... -coming-la
I say it's a bluff. Why? Because Los Angeles County or the state of California are not providing public financing. And just the threat of moving the Rams is making the state of Missouri making noises to extend state and local bonds to provide financing to keep the Rams there. And it's going to cost upwards of 2 billion to move the team west. I don't see the Ram;s owner paying that out of pocket.
So I say it's all garbage, in the case of Carson. Why? Because the proposed site is to be built over a landfill.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Dude, they always build shit like stadiums, parks, business centers, and even schools and airports over landfills. The city already owns the land, it's looking for something else to do with it other than just sell it, so it's a win-win. And they've improved the sealing technology so they don't smell like rotting garbage whenever it rains.

As for the source of the funding...

Well, that's politics. If LA wants the Rams badly enough, they'll have to cough up the money on their own.

Really, I'm more hacked off about how the NFL is these days. The owners pretty much get everything handed to them on a silver platter. And if their demands are not met, they simply move to another city.
Quote:Dude, they always build shit like stadiums, parks, business centers, and
even schools and airports over landfills. The city already owns the
land, it's looking for something else to do with it other than just sell
it, so it's a win-win. And they've improved the sealing technology so
they don't smell like rotting garbage whenever it rains
Two words: Earthquake and liquefaction.
Quote:Well, that's politics. If LA wants the Rams badly enough, they'll have to cough up the money on their own.
It's not the city of Los Angeles. It'll be the city of Carson. And I forsee a boondogle. They'll hock everything but the kitchen sink. The Rams might stay there long enough to pay off the debt, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell