Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Make America Grate Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The inauguration hasn't even happened yet and already the cabinet is embracing the "Ugly American" stereotype, and making America grate again.

According to http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wilbur- ... -1.3940773]CBC News:
incoming secretary of commerce Wilbur Ross Wrote:NAFTA is logically the first thing for us to deal with. We ought to solidify relationships in the best way we can in our own territory before we go off to other jurisdictions.
Looks like somebody forgot that we fought the War of 1812 in part to not be part of your territory.

The imperialist attitude that Mr. Ross shows here makes me fear that this won't be the only post to this thread, alas.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Rob I fear history is not a favorite american subject. Even then it is written and re-written. Americans either draw the wrong conclusions or out right ignore it if it doesn't turn out the way it should had been.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... cfec39564e
How to turn off allies..Trump is performing masterfully.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Two University of Ottawa law students drop out of course due to U.S. travel ban

The course includes a mandatory visit to the USA.
--
Rob Kelk

Dairy farmers in Wisconsin and New York are overproducing milk.

This is causing a glut of milk in the US market, with product going unsold.

Trump pulling out of TPP means there's no ready overseas market for this glut of milk.

According to Trump, this is Canada's fault.

Put your own house in order, people - don't blame us for your internal errors.
--
Rob Kelk

Rob, you should know by now that Trump will take the credit on anything that looks good and pass the blame if it goes sour.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
In comments on a 27 April 2017 Washington Post article by Anne Applebaum, about Trump nepotism as a symbol of democracy's decline:

Quote:KFree said at 7:43 PM EDT
Maybe what we are showing the rest of the world is that we respect our democratic electoral system enough not to engage in bloody revolution just because a crook conned the most gullible among us into the presidency.

AsGoodAsItGets responded at 7:46 PM EDT
   Pretty stupid way to make a point. Elect a total incompetent.

KFree replied at 7:49 PM EDT
      i'm reaching here for an upside. I think I pulled my groin doing it.
We laugh, that we may not weep.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Isn't nepotism an impeachable offense in the USA?

(Okay, okay - anything can be an impeachable offense if a simple majority of the House of Representatives is sufficiently annoyed, but isn't there an actual law about this?)
--
Rob Kelk

Rob:  There is such a law.  Some of the other comments on that article mentioned it, and concluded that the Trump argument was simply that laws don't apply to him unless he wants them to.  
Now if Congress got sufficiently irate about this end run around the rules, it might try to enforce that law ... except, the law refers to hiring relatives ... and if the relative isn't officially and openly drawing salary for doing whatever — I could be mistaken, but it's my impression the First Daughter has no formal job title with the administration — POTUS' lawyers can argue that he/she isn't actually a paid civil servant and the law doesn't apply.  
You and I and everyone else other than the most rabid Trumpites will know that's BS, but....
-----
Mexico and Canada 'in this together' on NAFTA, amid Trump confusion

Quote:Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said previously Canada wasn't about to "throw Mexico under the bus."
Quote:"It is very clear that Canada and Mexico are in this together," former Mexican congressman Agustin Barrios Gomez told host Rosemary Barton on Power & Politics Thursday, comparing recent behaviour of the Trump administration to a "banana republic."

"At the outset it's all very alarming and everybody is all on their toes, and then, by the end, you start realizing that you're dealing with an unstable person, somebody that really doesn't know what they're talking about," Gomez said.

"Among the three countries, the U.S. is the one with the most to lose," he said.
Quote:Mexican government sources tell CBC News one condition is non-negotiable for Pena Nieto — when Mexico sits down with the United States, Canada must be at the table.

Likewise, the Mexicans oppose bilateral talks between the U.S. and Canada, except on issues that don't involve them, such as the dairy dispute.
--
Rob Kelk

Trump's comments cause Canadian dollar to drop (not the only reason, but a major contributing factor)

At least the article has a "good" photo - credit Carlos Barria/Reuters

[Image: usa-palestinian.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk

A Congresscreature named Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.), it seems, has "explained" that there aren't three equal branches of the U.S. government.  And another, Tom MacArthur of ... oh, dear ... New Jersey ... states that Congress has no authority over the Executive.
-----
W. VA Reporter
arrested for shouting questions at Sec. Price and Kelleyanne Conway.

http://www.dailydot.com/layer8/reporte ... tom-price/

What happens when we
get a few high profile arrests for 'disorderly' protest, even if they are
subsequently reversed. A woman's fake laugh at a protest. An 'overly
aggressive' reporter detained (even if charges are later dropped). As even a
non-formally educated behavioral psychologist like a Mob enforcer will tell
you, it's the uncertainty of the thing that makes people keep their distance. A
brave person will steel him or herself to go to prison. But when you don't
know? Ah, that's where the self-censoring magic occurs.
Coming back on-topic (unless there's a "R-Ga." or a "W. VA" some place outside of the USA)...

North Korea launches ballistic missile, Trump administration asks other countries to do something

"With the missile impacting so close to Russian soil — in fact, closer to Russia than to Japan — the President cannot imagine that Russia is pleased. ... Let this latest provocation serve as a call for all nations to implement far stronger sanctions against North Korea." However, no "far stronger sanctions" were announced by the USA.
--
Rob Kelk

BBC: Trump 'shared classified information with Russia'

BBC is quoting the Washington Post there, saying that Trump revealed classified information gathered by "a partner of the US which had not given the US permission to share it with Russia".

The president has dismissed it as "fake news" - but he dismisses everything that isn't complimentary to him as "fake news", so that says nothing of any substance.

If this is something that actually happened, then Trump has given every partner country of the USA reason to withhold information from the USA. But, hey, what's more important - the free world having a fully-functioning security system, or Trump's ego?
--
Rob Kelk

The very specific denials by McMaster (of things NOT in the WaPo story) suggest it is true.

Fake news, indeed: deny a story noone published!
Quote:Spoilsport wrote:
The very specific denials by McMaster (of things NOT in the WaPo story) suggest it is true.

Fake news, indeed: deny a story noone published!
Kellyanne Conway needs a shower after shilling for Trump
Well, lie with dogs and you get?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Putin offers to give U.S. Congress notes of Trump's meeting
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Putin offers to give U.S. Congress notes of Trump's meeting
Warms me heart that the Russians very wanted Trump in control. I wonder why?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Right-wing blogger Erick Erickson put out an article predicting a Republican "bloodbath" in 2018.  But what really caught my eye was an exchange by commenters on the Washington Post's reprint of that article:

Quote:EnemyOfTheState posted at 3:39 PM EDT
Republicans need to take off those US flag pins they're so proud of and replace them with the flag of the country that really has their allegiance.

In response, LePrez-44 posted at 3:40 PM EDT
The Soviet Union, I mean Russia....good call.

And Ephrata posted at 3:54 PM EDT
Good idea:Russia pins to replace the American pins. Bring them to the town halls — "Here we think this would be better on your lapel." Mail them to the offending GOP Senators and Congressman. Send Russia pins to those GOP-ers who have sold their souls to Russian. Is there a source where we could get the pins cheap. I see piles of Russia pins in the mail to people like McCarthy and Ryan and anyone else in that meeting. Russian pins for all the Trump turnips (Trumps cabbages)!

I love, love, LOVE the idea of giving these swine (I apologize to all members of the genus Sus) Russian-flag lapel pins.
-----
Quote:DHBirr wrote:
I love, love, LOVE the idea of giving these swine (I apologize to all members of the genus Sus) Russian-flag lapel pins.
Not lapel pins, but they have made them wave Russian flags: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/cpac-russia-prank
"As Canadian lawyers mobilize at airports across the country to support travellers [sic] affected by President Donald Trump's U.S. travel ban, the federal government is trying to determine if enforcing the controversial executive order on Canadian soil is even legal."

And those lawyers appear to be working pro bono, too.

But what would one expect when a country tries to apply its brand-new-and-untested laws on the soil of a different country?
--
Rob Kelk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40474118
The title isn't completely accurate - sounds like he was retweeting a meme, but still incredibly childish.
An article ran in the Washington Post saying that the U.S. needs "relationship counselling."  
What was really telling was the number of comments attached to the article saying that it's too late for counselling; America needs a "divorce" due to irreconcilable differences.  In describing how many pro-divorce responses there were, the words "overwhelming majority" come to mind.  There was also a lot of criticism to the effect that the writer dealt in "both sides at fault" false equivalencies and no, the left had not been every bit as vicious as the right. 

Quote:Fry123 commented at 7/4/2017 7:01 PM EDT:
Split?? Uh... no. I'm not giving up my ability to live and work anywhere in the USA because the extremes of both parties think they have a right to dictate policy to the rest of us.

UK_spectator replied at 8:43 AM EDT:
Your problem is that the USA does not exist any more. 
The States of America exist but they are not United and have not been for some while. They move further apart daily, with the blue group subsidising the red group. 
There comes a time in a relationship where it is necessary to be realistic and give up trying to stay together. 
It happens with countries, chunks of Europe for example quite recently. Pakistan came out of the partition of India. ... and I'm afraid I don't see Americans making any better a job of it.
-----
And now there's the Boy Scout speech.  

One great comment by a reader:

Quote:Cromag82 wrote 1:26 PM EDT
"A Scout is ...  
trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,  
courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful,  
thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent."  

Can someone point out exactly which of these values the current President of the United States upholds?... OK, I will admit that he does seem to bathe regularly
-----
Pages: 1 2