Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Notes by comey state Trump pressued him into ending Flynn probe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The headline
If entered into the record, there's your evidence. Notes by law enforcement officials made immediately after an event had been entered as evidence in the past. The GOP better make up it's mind. Or come 2018, they won't have the majority. Come to think of it, they won't have it anyway.
I have been adamant since the beginning that Trump is unfit to be POTUS. I have conflicting emotions about this.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
At this point, there are only a few ways this ends:
  1. Trump is impeached.
  2. Trump is impeached, after Republicans lose decisively in 2018.
  3. Democracy in the U.S. ends, at least temporarily.
  4. Trump resigns. (super-unlikely)
  5. Trump is removed from office by Mike Pence under the 25th Amendment process.
I don't see a scenario where Trump legally completes his first term.   We're in the middle of history here.  If these bombshell stories keep exploding every day, there's nowhere to go but down.  Someday this will all make a great movie, at the least, with Sean Spicer hiding in the bushes for comic relief.
PROTIP: If you work in the White House, now is the time to hire a lawyer if you haven't already.
-- ∇×V
ordnance11 Wrote:... If entered into the record, there's your evidence. ...
Full text of James Comey's prepared opening statement for the Senate Intelligence committee
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/james-come ... -1.4150016

There's the start of what's been entered as evidence.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:
... If entered into the record, there's your evidence. ...
Full text of James Comey's prepared opening statement for the Senate Intelligence committeehttp://www.cbc.ca/news/world/james-come ... -1.4150016

There's the start of what's been entered as evidence.
It'll be interesting if Trump starts live tweeting during Comey's testimony. The staff can push it to Comey for rebuttal. You have to remember Comey has done this before in 2007.  What is interesting is that Trump met with him 9 times ni 4 months. Obama only met with him twice in 8 years. The last time is to say goodbye.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Trump: See! Totally vindicated!

... I think he honestly believes that. O_O
Of course he does. Balseraphs always believe their own lies.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:Matrix Dragon wrote:
Trump: See! Totally vindicated!

... I think he honestly believes that. O_O
   Note that his lawyer is using Comey's words other than Trump's in the rebuttal. It reminds me of cases where the defendant's lawyer loudly declaims his innocence and then quietly pays off a settlement.

The GOP's defense: He's new at this. Doesn't he have staff that tells him what line he cannot cross? Yeesh.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Oh sure, they tell him. He doesn't listen. That's been reported dozens of times now.
-- Bob
---------
House of Representatives Request to White House: Give us copies of any tapes
Trump also said he is willing to be deposed: Did he clear that with his lawyer?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Oooh, ooh, let's depose him right away.

Oh, wait, you mean the other depose, dammit.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

To quote an old Pogo cartoon (and the first place I encountered that term):  

Quote:Secret Police Worker:  Throw [Pogo] out the door!
Secret Police Officer:  Out the window!  The door is too good for him!
Worker:  Yes!  Defenestrate him in the tradition of our country!  Justice to all traitors!
Officer:  Don't defenestrate him!  Throw him out the window!  Justice is too good for him!
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Don't worry, Bob.  Just imagine what will happen if the Republicans hold out until Midterms.
I bet this is why the Democrats aren't pushing as hard as they possibly can right now.  The much sweeter peach is gonna be if they hold out for now.
Don't forget that impeachment begins with the House of Representatives going against the will of the electorate (or, at least, the will of the College of Electors) who decided to put the POTUS in the White House. They have to be either (a) extremely certain that the electorate has changed its collective mind and wants the current POTUS out, or (b) willing to lose their own seats when an angry electorate votes them out in the next election.

The Dems might be testing which way the winds are blowing rather than biding their time...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:Black Aeronaut wrote:

Don't worry, Bob.  Just imagine what will happen if the Republicans hold out until Midterms.
I bet this is why the Democrats aren't pushing as hard as they possibly can right now.  The much sweeter peach is gonna be if they hold out for now.
Interesting is that Pelosi said the same thing. too early to tell for sure. And the drip, drip of bad news is corroding away at the rot. The last report said that he's lashing out at his staff for all the bad news. He does not seem to realize he's the source.
BTW did you hear Ryan's excuse for Trump? He's new to this! He doesn't know any better! WTF? That is what staff is for. If they can't tell him what lines not to cross or they told him and decided not to do it, then you got a a man with a mentality of a 5 year old in the White House.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I kinda figured as such as well - like what Rob said about the electorate putting him in the position he's in now, it's going to be of paramount importance that if Trump is impeached that they have him dead to rights in the matter. This will mean lots of homework will need to be done.
And now the talk of the town is that Trump wants to fire Special Prosecutor Mueller.  That is, after all, the thing that Trump is best at.  Gotta play to your strengths.
I kinda wish Will Shakespeare was still around so as to write a play about this Presidency.  It has all of the makings of a great tragedy.
-- ∇×V
Odd you should say that, Brent... Theatre In The Park in NYC has just begun showing http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/12/opinions/ ... index.html]a version of Julius Caesar done in modern look with Caesar very much a Trump analogue.
-- Bob
---------
Yeah, I don't know I would have done it with Julius Caesar.  It feels more, I don't know, The Scottish Play?  Richard III?  HamletSean Spicer and Sarah Huckabee are Dead?  I really should know Shakespeare a little better than I do.
-- ∇×V