Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: I'm warning you all...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just clicked 'Confirm' on an order for memory using money given to me for Christmas; it should arrive by the end of next week. That will eliminate my computer problems with CoH. I've been running in 768 megs RAM so far, which is a bit... tight.
So there's one excuse down.
After my next paycheck my finances should be back to the point where I have 'play money' again. I don't know if I'll resubscribe or simply buy game cards, but either way, I should have the funds and my wife is threatening to use HER money to get me back into the game if that's what it takes. (I'm apparently grumpy, or something, I dunno.)
So there's the other excuse down the toilet.
Fair warning, y'all: I'm coming back. [Image: smile.gif]
(Great. Now I've got a cheesy movie trailer scene running through my head:
"Coming to a server near you this January! Sofaspud Returns: Attack of the Alts!"
Sheesh.)

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Quote:
"Coming to a server near you this January! Sofaspud Returns: Attack of the Alts!"
Voiced by Dan LaFontaine, of course....Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Bah. I'm still playing on 512 mb. >.>;
(I'd probably have ordered some memory if Right Stuf didn't keep having such enticing sales... ^_^;; )
-Morgan."Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!"
-Haruhi, "The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya"
---(Not really)
Morganni: oh dear. That's not reassuring; I was assuming the reason I was experiencing so many random lockups/crashes was due to memory constraints.
Er... hmm...
*crosses fingers*

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Quote:
I've been running in 768 megs RAM so far, which is a bit... tight.
A bit tight? That's tighter than Freddy Mercury's leather stage pants!
Yeesh! I feel your pain. You must have been running at absolute bare minimum graphics and still getting massive frame rate issues!
-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
I don't get random crashes anymore, but I do get really long load times, lag when not in door missions, and sometimes I get kicked out of the game when I go to wentworths. Or switch zones (rarely).
I used to have a problem with random crashes when I did certain things with contacts, but that seems to have gone way.
You'll probably want more ram anyway. I certainly do.
Edit to note: And I'm defiinitely running with minimum graphics too. Oddly, I used to be able to run at least mid-level graphics with no problems. What the hell happened?
---(Not really)
Logan: yup, absolute minimum graphics, 800x600 w/no anti-aliasing, you name it. Sad thing is, i have a decent gfx card -- GeForce 6000 series with 128 megs onboard -- but the system memory was just choking the whole thing. During zone loads I could go get a cup of coffee and a sandwich and be done with both before it finished, and more than once groups kicked me instead of waiting for me to load, heh. Listening to Windows swap memory to disk was painful, too. *thrashthrashthrash*
Anyway, I'm doubling the RAM, so that'll be nice. My buddy can play with no issues on 1GB, and he and I have comparable systems except for memory, so I think it'll be good.
Morganni: when did you start playing CoH? While reviewing the official site I found out that at least one of the issues (issue 3, maybe?) revised the graphics, adding shaders and textures and highlights oh my. Maybe that did it?

--sofaspud
Sometime between issues 3 and 4. The 5th Column was gone when I started, but it was before the arenas were added.
---(Not really)
It was Issue 6, the release of CoV.
--Sam
"I'm not saying evil is wicked bad, but it ain't wicked good."
I reactivated my account...
I upgraded my computer...
I loaded up on caffiene and munchies...
Why didn't someone TELL me there had been so many freaking patches between when I left and now?!?
(I'm watching the progress bar crawl across the screen and I'm twitchy with antici... PATION.)
Gah!

--sofaspud
Quote:
Why didn't someone TELL me there had been so many freaking patches between when I left and now?!?
Spud, Spud, Spud. You should know by now -- there are always N+1 patches to download, where N=the number whose download time you don't mind.
Quote:
I'm twitchy with antici...
Say it!
Quote:
PATION.
Thank you!

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
Thanks Bob,
I just had a garter-belted flashback and hurled my toast at my monitor.
Shayne
All part of the service.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
(Thanks, Bob; I knew *someone* was going to pick up that line I dropped, but I wasn't sure who...[Image: wink.gif] )
The patches loaded, I was able to play last night. And WOW the difference is amazing.
I also appreciate that y'all didn't find it necessary to kick Katy out of the SG. Makes me all warm and fuzzy, y'know? [Image: smile.gif]
Anyway, I'll be on a good portion of this weekend, looks like, so if anyone wants to do anything, hit me up. @Sofaspud, and I monitor the Legendary channel all the time too.
Now I have to spend (grumble, whine) the rest of the day (bitch, moan) actually WORKING (mutter, mutter) instead of, y'know, saving the innocent and stuff like that. Sheesh.

--sofaspud