Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: MUSH stuff, Naruto d20 RPG, etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, some quick info.
I have a MUSH server set up - it's a nice text chat server with persistent logins and all that. If you've never used MUSH before, well, it's like CoH without the pretty graphics and the huge-ass client.
To connect you can use plain old Telnet (comes standard with every Windows machine since '98 and every Mac since the first OS/X, at least...) or grab a popular client with a few more features, like SimpleMU, there's a bunch of shareware ones out there.
Server is at gehirn.mine.nu port 6250. Post here if you want a login set up for you, I believe it's currently registration only.
A Beginner's Guide to MUSHing should help you out.--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
This is what we're using, then?
I just checked it out a moment ago. Something ECSNorway didn't mention - it looks like Guest login works fine with his server.
So rather than contacting him to get a permanent character set up, you can simply log in temporarily with 'connect Guest Guest' at the login screen. I don't think that's case sensitive.
Not that there's anything to see, it looks like ECS is running a basic bare-bones TinyMUSH, but that might help anyone new to MUSH to get used to the commands.
Again, tho, this is what we're using? I thought we were going with an IM system...
-- Acyl
I dunno... I might not be able to get in on that regularly... Any recommendation on a Client?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
It's barebones TinyMUSH, yes. I had it set up for another game a couple of years ago, and never took it down.
Yes, Guest login works.
Clients... if you have a Linux or OS/X box TinyFugue works excellently and is THE classic MUSH client of all time. SimpleMU is good for Windows use.--
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
I'm fond of MUSHclient myself.
-- Acyl
Sure. Whatever client you like will work fine.
As for an IM system, the problem with them is that they tend to be more public than I'm fond of. Too easy for J. Random Spammer to break in and start filling the screen with viruses. The MUSH doesn't have that vulnerability, and it has its own utilities we can use for things like dice, character sheets, and so on.--
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Oh, I'm fond of MUSH and related MU codebases myself...I've been playing and even running some for about 10 years now. It's just not the most user-friendly thing to folks who aren't already familiar with it.
Then again, though, if we're just constantly logging into the same room it should work fine...it's not like we're doing stuff with heavy code or anything.
Just enough code to handle things like, as you say, character sheets and so on. Yeah, it'd be awesome to have 'em on-hand that way.
-- Acyl
Yeah.
Especially since the code I have in place automates things like dice-rolling. You need to roll, say, a specific skill, with a specific situational bonus?
+roll Jump+3
is all you need.--
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.