Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: I'm stumped. I need names!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lady Borgia has been sprung from the Zig and is beginning her reign of terror in the Rogue Isles! Her robot army will RULE THE WORLD! *cue melodramatic music*
Stepping back from the edge a bit now... what I'm running into is that I have some fun ideas for RP'ing a robotics mastermind. Her first two 'bots have distinct personalities; I've named them C-64 and TRS-80, respectively. When the third comes along, he's probably going to be called TI-86 (unless I come up with something more appropriate) -- obviously, he's the 'dumb' one of the group.
("Oh, for the love of -- TI-86, clear and reset! Stupid buffer overflows..."
"Well, that's what you GET for using a pocket calculator for his primary circuits."
"Oh, DO shut up.")
My problem is, I want the next tier to have names more appropriate for, well, more capable 'bots. The 'theme', obviously, is robot-like designations that just HAPPEN to be model numbers of computer systems. Heh. (Probably been done, but I'm having fun with it).
I'm thinking PDP/10 and ... what? I can't remember the numbers/names of any comparable mainframe systems from back in the day.
And then, of course, I'll need something EXTRA special for the third tier. I'm thinking XMP for that, but I'd be open to a better idea.
Thoughts? I know, I'm a geek, but this has kept me amused. [Image: smile.gif]

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
NCR-315?
And apparently a missing dash is enough to fool a search engine into thinking that X-MP is something completely different.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"I'm terribly sorry, but I have to kill you quite horribly now."
OS/2?
--Sam
"SPOON!"
TI-99/4A
8086xEbony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
*delurks*
You could go with minicomputer model names... There's a number of them mentioned on the applicable Wikipedia page.
I actually used a Honeywell DPS-6 way back when, and I helped pack up a HP3000 when I started in my current job. I never got a chance to touch a PDP-8, CDC 1700 or VAX-11/780, though, and I hadn't heard of the Nord-1, SDS-92, or Prime 50 before reading the Wiki page...
*relurks*

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
PCjr, Vic-20, Sinclair 1000....

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
obsolete gaming platforms? [Image: happy.gif]
Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, ect__________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
HP-48 (G, GX, S, SX) - the calculator that was the bane (and boon) of productivity in my college years.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
The two I knew well from my early computer days.
The commodore Pet (PET)
The Apple IIC (2C or Two-Cee)
Quote:
And Timote? I still play games on *my* N64, so nyah!

*shrugs* the first game system I actually owned was a PS1, and I didn't get that until after the PS2 came out. [Image: tongue.gif] __________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.