Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A scrapper in all her glory: Saberkitten >:)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MechaDeuce

Hi folks!
Okay, this was the OTHER thing that inspired me to start working on that Saberkitten story - I'd been waiting for the finished version, and here it is:
www.bgcrisis.com/artwork/...ouncil.jpg
BWahahahahahaha!!! [Image: happy.gif]
Regards,
Bert Van Vliet
skyknight@sentex.net

His Lovely Wife

Oooo. Very nice.
-C-
Ohhh... SWEET!!!! -Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Niice. I just love pro art of one's characters.
-- Bob
---------
Visit beautiful Boston, proud successor to Seattle as
"City Most Scared Of Its Own Shadow

Shrike

I'm negotiating with the same artist to do a family portrait of my Shrikes on Champion (4 sisters and their father). If we come to terms, I'll be sure to see about posting it here.

Mekadave

Very nice! Who's the artist, BTW? That's something I might be interested in, in the future.
Global: @Jimmy Amp
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers

MechaDeuce

Hi Jimmy! [Image: smile.gif]
The artist in question is Phil Moy. He's worked on a lot of things, including Legion of Superheroes and other D.C. stuff, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Powerpuff Girls, and there's likely a couple I've forgotten. [Image: smile.gif]
If you'd like, I'll check with him and see how his time is currently and then sort out the email addresses. I'd direct you to his webpage, but it needs an update, and the linked email address isn't valid any more. ^^;
Regards,
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net

Mekadave

Cool, thanks!

No hurry on that, though. From the quality of the work, I'm guessing the work'll be a little expensive. [Image: eek.gif]

"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers

MechaDeuce

Phil's actually quite reasonable price-wise for straight black-and-white pictures.
In general, pencil is the most inexpensive option; inking doesn't add a lot to it. If you want colour, that does add a bit more depending on complexity.
I tend to hang around the artists' areas when I go con-hopping now, partly because I like to watch the people drawing so I can marvel at their expertise (and the faint hope that I might pick up something by osmosis from being close to their talented selves ^_^ ), partly so I can just chat with the folks I'm friends with, and finally because I believe in supporting the artists.
I stopped getting 'Stuff' at conventions a couple of years ago because I really had all I needed in terms of collectibles. Now I take a blank sketchbook with me to all my conventions, and I'm slowly getting it filled with artwork by my favourite artists. [Image: smile.gif]
Anyhow, there are three basic guidelines that I've found over my time frequenting the artists' alleys at conventions.
First, how many characters do you want in the picture? Usually that's around $30-40 per character, and that varies from artist to artist. Full-body portraits of a character are not terribly expensive. [Image: smile.gif]
If there's a detailed background in the picture (like a Council base, street scene, whatever), that adds a little bit more. Again, how much depends on the artist.
Adding colour adds to the base cost. Again, costs vary by artists.
Hope that helps as a mini-primer. [Image: smile.gif]
Later!
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net

Mekadave

Ahhh, thanks, good info to know!
There aren't many conventions down this way, so I don't get to many. (translation: none since the 90's)
Jimmy needs a good professional treatment one of these days. And now that I'm thinking about it, he really needs to have his bio written up properly. Sigh, more work.... [Image: tongue.gif]

Mekadave

Hey Bert, did you ever get a chance to find out about Phil's schedule and pricing?
I was wondering, did you just send him a lot of screenshots of your character?

MechaDeuce

I haven't heard from Phil lately - he's buried in work at the moment - but I'll drop him another note to find out. [Image: smile.gif]
As for the character reference, I photoshopped several screenshots of my character from the front/back/side/perspective angles into a large JPG file and emailed it along with a description of what I wanted. (Pin-up pic, action pic, etc.). Much neater than half-a-dozen screenshots.
That's all there was to it. [Image: smile.gif]
I'll keep you posted. [Image: smile.gif]
Bert V.V.
@Northflayme

Mekadave

Awesome, thanks Bert!