Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Respec advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm growing inclined to respec Evangelia, if only because I never use one of her powers (Jump Kick just takes too long and doesn't seem to be worth it), and I wouldn't mind having opened up the Concealment or Leadership pools earlier.
Not ever having respec'ed a character before, though, I wouldn't mind a little general advice. I already know how to get to the test server and how to move a character there, and I have the COH Character builder, which I've been playing with the last few nights. So I'm not about to do anything permanent and/or stupid yet. I would like to avoid the latter no matter what, though. So any hints, suggestions or horror stories of things to avoid would be appreciated.
Thanks!

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Okay, my quick advice based on a Kat/Inv scrapper:
1) Don't bother with Leadership. It sucks for Scrappers.
2) Parry is *always* worth getting.
3) Remember you have 4 powers in Invuln that can get away with only 3 slots - RPD, REne, REle, and Tough. The other powers only need 4 slots, 5 at most, except for Invinc and maybe Unstop and Dull Pain.
4) Aside from Unstoppable, *all* Invuln powers are worth getting.
5) I personally think Hasten is overrated.
6) As you're BS, I'd load all attacks as follows: 3 DAM, 1 Rech, 1 EndRed, 1 Acc
SS: I wouldn't bother.
SJ: CJ is practically free, and helps Tough negate the Unyeild penalty.
Flight: Hover *rules*.
TP: Ugh.
Concealment: Remember that Steath/Invis means you have to turn off Invinc.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
My advice would be, get used to spending time on the test server... ^_-
Or to be less vague, it can take a few tries before you get things the way you like them. Especially if you're experimenting with powers that you haven't had before. And of course it's better to figure that out on test rather than burning respecs on main. I'd have run out several times over trying to figure out my last rebuild for Eri, even with the extras from vet rewards. If you have a mission with something really nasty you can get, that's a good thing to copy over with to test yourself against. (I ran Eri's builds against the Envoy of Shadows... Mean customer even on Heroic.)
Leadership, I don't think I'd say is worthless... I could notice some difference in accuracy with tactics. But the powers cost a lot of endurance to run. Of course if you're interested in pvp, tactics becomes more valuable, and if you group more than I do, they all become more worthwhile.
Hasten is really a lot more desirable for regen I think, where click powers are a significant part of your defense. (Even a few seconds off reconstruction can help sometimes.) I'm not sure if that's an issue with invuln.
I personally like 3 dam, 2 acc, one recharge on attacks; but then, Eri is a regen, and has a lot of endurance to play with, and I hate missing. But at the level Evangelia is, you've probably got a good idea of how you like to slot attacks.
-Morgan."This continuity is now a Princess of Darkness crossover."
"... They're all going to die, aren't they?"
"Yep. Popcorn?"
Quote:
2) Parry is *always* worth getting.
No argument there, though I don't aways use it as much as I should.
Quote:
3) Remember you have 4 powers in Invuln that can get away with only 3 slots - RPD, REne, REle, and Tough
Yeah, I was wondering if doing more than three would really get me anything on those...
Quote:
I personally think Hasten is overrated.
I have not yet found a reason to use it on the few characters I have which took it.
Quote:
As you're BS, I'd load all attacks as follows: 3 DAM, 1 Rech, 1 EndRed, 1 Acc
Which is pretty much what I've done already, and what I planned on reproducing in the respec.
Quote:
SJ: CJ is practically free, and helps Tough negate the Unyeild penalty.
That's what I was going to take instead of Jump Kick. I needed one or the other in order to get Super Jump, and having another defense instead of an attack I don't use is a big win for me.
Quote:
Flight: Hover *rules*.
Hmm. I hadn't considered that -- I kinda thought of Leaping and Flight as being kind of mutually exclusive... But I'm always up for another defense. The only problem is that it would really slow Eva down in team combats -- she's usually running from place to place, whacking anything that looks like a target.
Quote:
Concealment: Remember that Steath/Invis means you have to turn off Invinc.
True, but there are times I'd rather she not be noticed. I was thinking that I'd really only want the Stealth and not full invis, anyway.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
My advice would be, get used to spending time on the test server... ^_-
I was expecting to. Which reminds me, is it yet/still closed for the Issue 9 stuff, as was announced not long ago? I haven't checked the recent news.
Quote:
Or to be less vague, it can take a few tries before you get things the way you like them.
I'm hoping that won't be the case. I know pretty much what I want to do, slotwise, on almost all her powers; I just have to decide which one Broadsword attack I need to drop to open up a place for a new pool power -- and when in her level progression to take it.
Quote:
Leadership, I don't think I'd say is worthless.... But the powers cost a lot of endurance to run.
Now that I didn't know. I wanted Leadership mainly for roleplay purposes -- she's built the Legendary up from nothing over the past 20 levels or so, you'd think she'd've developed some leadership skills, so I wanted to reflect that with the corresponding pool. But if the powers eat Endurance like M&Ms, that's no good for me -- I need all the End Eva can get for her defenses and her attacks, especially if she's getting a new defense when I reconfigure the Leaping pool.
Quote:
Hasten is really a lot more desirable for regen I think,
Not an issue for me, because I won't be changing her travel power. I'm sticking with Superjump, because I used to it and because it's the proper idiom for a magical girl of her stripe. (The fact that sometimes I can't target it worth a damn doesn't come into this decision at all. )
Quote:
But at the level Evangelia is, you've probably got a good idea of how you like to slot attacks.
That I do, and Chris hit it right on the head.

-- Bob
---------

MechaDeuce

Hi Bob!
Evangelia is what, Katana/Inv.?
I've got two Invulerable-class characters, a level 26 Energy/Inv. tanker, and a level 41 Martial arts/Inv. scrapper on Protector.
If you're interested, I can post the build I'm running with on my scrapper - she's pretty tough and she can take down pretty near anything she runs across. Sappers can be problematic, but 'Unstoppable' pretty much rules the battlefield when I've had to use it. [Image: smile.gif]
Oh, on her own she's impressive. Paired up with a kinetics defender/controller? Scary. :>
For the toggle powers though, I tend to run three end redux, three resist/defense. (On Bladestryke, my katana/SR, I'm running two end reducers and 4 defense. I know you get capped after 3, but I like round numbers. Tongue )
Anyhow, let me know if you're interested and I'll post the build. [Image: smile.gif]
Regards,
Bert V.V.
skyknight@sentex.net
I'd post my build of Paradoxe, but it'd be useless. As a 50 Kat/inv/energy who's been farming Hami-O's for a while, I've respec'd him to recover slots I don't need anymore...--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
Hey Bert!
Quote:
Evangelia is what, Katana/Inv.?
Close -- Broadsword/Invulnerability.
Quote:
For the toggle powers though, I tend to run three end redux, three resist/defense.
Sounds reasonable.
Quote:
Anyhow, let me know if you're interested and I'll post the build
I'm certainly curious to see what other folks are doing. Thanks!

-- Bob
---------

Render

Since my only post-20 experience with a Scrapper is with MA/Regen, I can only offer anti-advice. What works for me is almost certainly NOT what you want to do. [Image: eyes.gif]
Still, if you want Leadership for concept reasons, go for it! There's a point of diminishing returns where I stop doing the math and just do what looks fun. Others' mileage will naturally vary, and I don't alter my build for PvP.
While I'm thinking about it, I have a question for Christopher... Do your recommendations for Invuln. Scrappers also hold for Invuln. Brutes? I've been thinking about a Brute, not sure which powersets to try.
-Render

Mekadave

I deleted my only Inv brute at lvl 15. It was just too much of a pain to play. Took way too much damage in solo low diff missions.
I'd recommend throwing some End Reducers into Tough. It's kind of an expensive toggle (.32 vs Invincibility's .2 or Temp Invuln's .26).
On my DM/Regen, I took Leadership for Assault only, and Body Mastery for Focussed Accuracy (which absolutely requires End Reducers, even for a Regen, at .6 cost) and Laser Beam Eyes (which I love dearly). At the massive amounts of damage that scrappers can do, Assault starts to make a difference (+7.35%), plus if you team a lot..... It was either Assault or Stealth, and I didn't think that would fit this guy.

I still use Hasten on my scrappers, and my couple of lowbie BS scrappers are crying for it. I find it makes a difference, and I notice it when it's down during heavy fights. I still slot 99.9% of my attacks with 1 Acc, 1 Rech, 1 End Reduc, 3 Dmg.
Personal preference, I guess.
Hover's another one I dropped from all my flyers. Since Fly had it's End cost reduced last year, I've ditched Hover in favor of Air Superiority and fell in love (as much as you can with a game power). Incredible knockdown and -fly. You can keep a boss on his butt almost indefinitely. It's also so much fun when a Freak Juicer or a Tsoo Ancestor Spirit fly up to me and I knock them to the ground with a two-handed overhead punch (did I mention it looks AWESOME when you're flying?).
Yeah, the Test server is currently closed for Issue 9 testing, but that may open soon.
That's one thing I like about this game, there's no one perfect way to pick or slot your powers. Lots of options.
Global: @Jimmy Amp
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers