Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: More fun Fiction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

His Lovely Wife

Windy Day, Anamchara and Misonon origin fiction. Windy and Anamchara are in IST Paragon City (Infinity) and Misonon is Marcus Mac Hine's (Virtue) WarShade partner for those not yet in the know. Here's the first bit. More to follow as it gets written. -Cindy
The studio audience for the television show was packed. The hostess appeared and did her usually monologue before introducing her guest. What would you do if you were a struggling student and someone offered you the chance to change the world? Wed like you to meet a young lady who stepped up to the challenge. She is one of IST Chicagos rising young heroes, currently assigned to Paragon City, Rhode Island. Please join me in welcoming Windy Day.
The audience applauded as a steamy mist began to seep out from the side of the stage. A blurred figure was barely visible through the fog as it ascended the stage. When it reached the hostess, the fog disappeared and a young woman stood there. She had short blonde hair, and was wearing a grey leather jacket over a green and grey t-shirt, grey cargo pants and black 20 hole Doc Martens. Her eyes seemed to glow a slight green. She shook hands with the talk show hostess and sat down.
Welcome back to Chicago Windy.
Its good to be back. Windy smiled and the audience applauded.
Now, you are one of IST Chicagos and IST Paragon Citys up and coming young heroes. Can you tell us how it all started?
Of course. Windy sat back in the comfy chair and began her story. It all started with a cup of coffee and a croissant. I was still a student so both of those were still on the mandatory food list. The audience laughed. I was just sitting there on the patio, minding my own business, when this device about the size of a lunch box fell in my lap. As you can imagine I was startled and jumped up, overturning the table. The device fell off my lap and landed on the floor but when I looked up from it to see who had noticed me knocking over my own table I saw that it wasnt the only table knocked over. Tables, chairs and patrons had been pushed basically into the wall; everything was all over the place. It looked like a hurricane had gone through the place. It turns out that it was all from this little device.
So how did you end up with it?
Well, it appears it had been stolen from a local lab. It was thrown from a moving vehicle, probably to get rid of the evidence. It just happened to fall into my lap. When I returned the object, I was asked if I wanted to participate in the experiments. Seeing as its basically a miniature weather producing device I was enthralled, since I was studying weather patterns in my geography class.
So are you the only one who has such a device then?
To my knowledge I am the only one currently using this device, yes. And before you ask, I will assure you that it is not military in nature and I do not use it as a weapon. This is still in the prototype stage so we are working on refining it, seeing what works and what doesnt, and honestly, how best it can be used.
So youre an experiment?
Windy laughed. That I am.
Well be back with Windy Day after this commercial break.
Standing in his kitchen in Montreal, the being known as Anamchara stopped making himself dinner and began an inner monologue. I want to meet her. The part that was the human named Patrick Johnson said to the part that was the Kheld named Adma.
Oh really? Is there a reason for this?
No, just a feeling that I have to meet her.
Your forefathers have said the same thing to me.
And?
Where do you think you come from? Patrick could feel the laughter. We will go to Chicago then.
Paragon City. Shes affiliated with IST Paragon City.
Welcome back. Were talking today with Windy Day of IST Paragon City. Windy, tell us how you got involved with IST.
Well, after training with the weather device for about 6 months, we decided it was time to see it in action in a support role, things like mob control. I contacted the International Super Teams Headquarters in New York and they put me in contact with IST Chicago. I received extra training with them before being assigned. When Headquarters decided to start a branch in Paragon City, they found their best teachers and their newest recruits and matched them together.
So youve worked with some of the IST Greats?
Windy nodded. Ive certainly worked with great people, yes. Im currently training under Lieutenant Colonel Camille Hoyle and Major Thibor Sawchyk and I have to say that they are both wonderful teachers.
Anamchara turned off his television and went over to his computer. Booking a plane ticket to Rhode Island was no problem. Hed leave in a week. That would give him time to clear out this apartment and put all his things in order before moving. There was already a Kheldian presence in Paragon City and they were always looking for more volunteers for hero work. Hed contact them as well and see about hastening the work permit.
Back in the lab with Dr. Keith Maynard in Chicago, Windy set the device down on the counter. Its working great. I still cant believe you got it down to the size of a belt buckle.
Youve got to admit Windy its a lot easier to carry it around like that. Keith pulled out his magnifying glasses and settled himself down to connect his computer to the belt buckle to take diagnostics and add any addition programs to it. The device acted like a focus for Windys very miniscule extra sensory ability. It was so miniscule that no one had ever bothered to find out what it was. But with that little device that had been built into her belt buckle, she could harness the winds and the storms. Apropos, considering her birth name was actually Windy Day.
Windy watch Keith work. He was a youngish man, later 30s early 40s; pretty good looking in a scientist kind of way. Yet, he didnt seem interested in her. She found that both annoying and reassuring. Shed heard of a few classmates who been, well, placed in uncomfortable situations and she was glad she wasnt one of them. The fact that she was the only one who could currently work the weather maker was probably another factor in the mix. She sat down with a sigh to watch.
Oh, by the way, I saw the interview. Nice job not saying anything about the device. I appreciated that.
Anamchara had just registered himself as a hero in Atlas Park when he encountered the last being he had ever thought hed encounter. At one time Adma had been another being and had been very close to another of his kind. That other had been corrupted by a third. Adma had never thought to see that other again. It was Fates doing that the other was the first person Adma met upon exiting City Hall after a new hero briefing.
Hello Adma. I didnt think Id ever see you again.
Anamchara stopped at the feminine voice and turned. He didnt recognize the body that the other wore, but the essence, though corrupted, was there. Alrav.
Its Misonon now. The woman smiled. Anamchara looked her over carefully. She was an older woman with grey hair and gold rimmed glasses.
I go by Anamchara. He took the hand she offered and shook it. Being close to Alrav again was. Decidedly odd. Shall we sit? The two sat down just outside City Hall. Conversation was stilted at first; two centuries of estrangement will do that. So when did you turn back?
When did I stop being a brainless Nictus you mean? About 50 years ago. I guess you could say I came to my senses. A smile crossed the womans face. I casually mentioned to my host that I didnt like a fight when I took over a body. She calmly suggested then that she was not the body for me as she was going to fight me tooth and nail. Thats when I started thinking again.
The two sat silently trying to find something to speak about when a petite redhead came bursting out of City Hall practically in tears. She grit her teeth and bunched her fists as Sunstorm, the Peacebringer Liaison Officer followed her outside. Ms. Mac Hine, Im sorry that we cant help you with this problem of yours. Perhaps an individual on their own. He did not continue.
The redhead, Ms. Mac Hine, turned back to him. Thank you for your time sir. Maybe well be able to help each other another time. She calmly shook his hand and stumbled down the stairs before the tears overwhelmed her. Anamchara watched her carefully to see where she was going. She found a place underneath a tree and sat herself down, her head on her knees, probably trying to compose herself. Anamchara went up to Sunstorm and reintroduced himself; they had met earlier in the day at the briefing
I didnt mean to overhear, is the lady in some sort of trouble? Anamchara asked.
Shes looking for someone. She was hoping I would know how best to help her find this person since she thinks there was dimensional hopping involved.
Hmmm. Anamchara nodded his head for a moment before turning back to Sunstorm. Would you mind if I offered to help her?
Of course not. Sunstorm took a look at him and seemed to remember that Anamchara had just arrived to Paragon City today. Just remember to work under the new hero limits and there should be no problems.
Thank you very much. With a handshake, Anamchara was off to find the young Ms. Mac Hine.
Misonon was still sitting on the bench, watching Ms. Mac Hine, who seemed to be talking to herself. Is there something I can help with Ad-Anamchara?
I think there may be. Come with me. Anamchara walked over to Ms. Mac Hine. Excuse me, Ms. Mac Hine?
She looked up suddenly and stood quickly. She wasnt that tall, but she carried herself proudly. Yes?
My name is Anamchara, this is Misonon. I overheard the tail end of your conversation with Sunstorm earlier. Is there someway we can help you?
She smiled shyly. Im looking for someone. My fiancs sister has been suspected dead for quite a while but I found some evidence that she may be alive. Im not in a position to go and look for her myself and I thought maybe the Kheldians could help me as there seemed to be a Kheldian energy signature intermingled with hers.
I think perhaps we can help you Ms. Mac Hine.
Minuet. Or Min. I wont be able to thank you enough if you can find her.
*pulls out popcorn and waits*
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

His Lovely Wife

OK? what the heck is wrong witht he spacing? Hmm. I'll try and fix it later. Sorry about that. -Cindy-
Days of searching, asking questions, and bombardment of the Portal Corporation Facility by various members of the Mac Hine family they were a prodigious lot- had finally gotten Anamchara and Misonon a direction to search in. The various Mac Hine siblings volunteered to accompany the two Khelds when ever they could spare some time, but Anamchara would be the mission leader. The first task before them was to find Minerva Heisman, Minuets future sister-in-law. The second task was getting her home.
This was the 10th world they had tried, with no luck. Human/Kheldian energy signatures werent that common on these worlds but there always seemed to be one that needed to be investigated. Again, with this world, they had to go hunting.
They found a human female of approximately the right age. The problem was infiltrating the complex she was being held in. From the limited readings of the scanners they had cobbled together with no help from Portal Corp, the human/kheld seemed to be the only person in the complex. Taking every precaution, Misonon and Anamchara stealthed their way into the complex. It appeared that she was in a locked room. Whether it was for her own protection of not, they werent sure.
Is it a Nictus or do you think her personality is intact? Anamchara asked.
I cant tell from here.
Neither can I.
*Someone is coming.* Minerva Heisman, sleeping in the corner of her cell, woke up, but she didnt move. *Its an unfamiliar presence.*
Good or bad?
There was a pause. *I cant tell.* The door opened enough to let a person in, and then closed, but not all the way. A slim man with blonde hair slowly appeared in front of her.
Misonon opened the door slowly. Shes one of you. You go in and talk to her.
Anamchara snuck in and unstealthed slowly. He gave the young, tall blonde woman a smile. Im Anamchara. Are you Place Kicker?
What did you call me? Her jaw had dropped.
Place Kicker.
*How does he know Kharm?*
*Ask him who he comes from Minerva.*
Who sent you? Was she hoping against hope that someone had actually found her?
Minuet Mac Hine. Anamchara kept his smile on while his converted palm device scanned the woman and found a match.
I dont know the name. She looked confused. As if she hoped someone else would have sent help to her.
I didnt think you would. He handed her the palm device and it began scrolling pictures that Minuet had provided.
Place Kicker gently touched the screen of the palm device as pictures of her brother flipped across. Him as a young teenager in his high school football uniform; pictures of the family; Orens mutation; more pictures of the family this time without their father; a picture of Oren with Mama and a cute little red head it looked like they were celebrating Mamas birthday; and finally, the last picture it was obviously an engagement picture.
Oren is getting married? She was shocked. My baby Bro?
Yup. Anamchara looked back over his shoulder once.
We need to get you out of here. Get you home. He cant get married without you.
She stood slowly. Home. Taking a deep breath she looked around. Yeah, that be really nice.
How often do they patrol this section of the complex?
They dont. Its all video feeds. I havent seen a single living thing here, ever. And Ive been living in the area for . She didnt seem to know how long and it seemed to frighten her.
Anamchara whispered information to his partner on the other side and the two collaborated on a plan to get Place Kicker out. Finally, Anamchara turned back to her. My partner is able to do a form of teleportation. They will go on ahead and teleport us out. Stay here for now. Ill just be on the other side of the door. Dont worry, I wont lock it. Are you ok with this?
Without much choice, she nodded. She was still holding the palm device close to her chest. When Anamchara had left the room she flipped through the pictures again. The last four pictures had been taken after this had happened to her. Oren with Mama and the red head; and Oren and the red heads engagement picture. Was this her mysterious benefactor?
Anamchara poked his nose in as she was still contemplating the picture. Were ready to go.
Cuddling with Oren was the best hobby shed ever taken up, Minuet thought to herself as they were both settled on the sofa. He was reading a football magazine, she was stretched out with her head on his leg, reading a book. She was just getting to the good part in the book when her communicator went off. She looked at it lazily and then sat up quickly. Oren looked up from his football magazine. Whats wrong?
Min stopped the beeping and looked at her com again. Give me a minute to find out. She left the room and dialled the preset number.
Anamchara gave his report without Minuet saying a word. Were back, all three of us. Portal Corp has us in quarantine. Mizo and I will be about 2 days. Theyll probably keep HER a little longer. She looked healthy, shes in good spirits and shes looking forward to meeting you.
Ill be right there. Turning off her com unit, Minuet walked back into the living room and right to the patio door. She opened it slightly and stepped out onto the balcony. Poking her nose back into the house she said, Oren, meet me at Portal Corp. Without any other explanation she flew off in the direction of Peregrine Island. With in seconds her com beeped again. Yes?
You want to tell me why were going to Portal Corp so suddenly? She could tell he was already en route.
No. Did you lock the front door?
Yes, and the back door. Why? Did you forget your keys?
No. Below her Min could see the bright flash of light Oren made while running.
So, why wont you tell me? He was trying to cajole. Hed try tickling next. Good thing she wasnt within reach.
Its your wedding present.
She saw him stop moving for a second. Then he started up again. What did you get me from Portal Corp?
Im not telling. She was smiling.
He was waiting for her at the Portal Corp building. As she settled down to land, he gently picked up out of the air and gave her a kiss. I could make you talk. He leered at her, causing her to smile.
Wait just a bit longer Oren. Patience is needed here. Do I look ok? She smoothed down her shirt and skirt nervously.
As beautiful as ever. He said as he smiled down at her.
Min smiled back but she didnt stop for her customary kiss. Instead, she walked forward into one of the buildings. When Oren had caught up to her it appeared she had already spoken with a receptionist and had directions to where they needed to be. She turned back only once to see if he was following.
Hed never been to the quarantine area of Portal Corp. It looked like the rooms were suites with a private sleeping area, and bathroom he assumed; and a public living area with a large glass window opening onto the hallway so that those in quarantine could interact. Min stopped at one window where a young man and an older woman were sitting on the sofa, as if waiting for her. Oren was surprised the Min knew how to operate the speaker system. He only heard Mins part of the conversation though.
Thank you Anamchara, and you too Misonon. Hugs for both of you when you get out. There was a pause. Sure, hang on. She handed the phone to Oren. He took it hesitantly.
Hello.
Oren, Hi. Im Minuets friend Anamchara and this is Misonon. He gestured to the woman standing next to him. Congratulations on finding someone as lovely as Minuet. Oren mumbled something in response and blushed a little bit. If you turn around slowly, and look in the room kitty corner from you, youll see why Minuet brought you down here.

While Oren was busy with Anamchara, Min hurried across the hall. About 30 feet and one alcove separated her from Oren. She picked up the phone device. Minerva? Im Minuet Mac Hine. Welcome Home.

Oren turned slowly and found Min standing at a second room. The alcove walls hid who she was talking to. He moved slowly and uncertainly towards her. She and the woman she was talking to both turned to look at him at the same time. Minuet was grinning from ear to ear. The woman in the room was smiling, and crying. He stopped when he saw her clearly. His mouth moved but no sound came out. Finally, one did. Nervie.
Minuet went back to her friends and thanked them again and Oren and his sister had some private reunion time. When you two get out, youre coming over for dinner so I can thank you properly. They spoke of inconsequential things for a while before Min excused herself to join Oren and Minerva.
*pulls out Kleenex and waits.*
*Teary eyed" 'S so beautiful!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

His Lovely Wife

Anamchara had never thought that hed be asked to be in Minuets wedding party as a thank you for finding Minerva. Misonon was also quite shocked. But they had both discovered that what Minuet wanted, Minuet eventually got. And through the weeks of searching, they had both grown quite friendly with Minuet. They had agreed to both be in their Nova forms for the ceremony and switch to human form for the reception. Both of which were quite beautiful. The cathedral had been full and the crowd outside had been watching on a television screen. It apparently wasnt often that two Heroes of The City were married.
The reception was considerably smaller and by invitation only. Both Anamchara and Misonon, of course, were invited. It was here that Anamchara finally met the lady that had brought him to Paragon City. Minuet had invited several IST members, Windy Day, Major Thibor Sawchyk and Lt. Colonel Camille Hoyle had come as the IST contingent. Anamchara was pleased when he finally found them seated at the same table as Morgan Mac Hine and Bella Fuego. He knew Morgan and Morgan would be polite and make introductions. Morgan did indeed make introductions and Anamchara finally met Windy Day.
A pleasure to meet you. Was all he was able to say when he was finally standing in front of her. She watched him strangely for a moment as he tried to think of something else to say.
Yeah, nice to meet you too. She turned away for a moment as a man sat down in the seat next to her and set a drink in front of her. Thank you Alan. The human part of Anamchara stopped breathing. Adma took over.
Hi. Im Anamchara, nice to meet you. He said to the new person.
Alan Lawrence. Alan shook his hand and turned back to Windy.
*Shes already seeing someone Adma. What do I do?*
*Be friendly. We will discuss it after.*
Anamchara turned back to Major Sawchyk to find the man had an odd look on his face. As if hed noticed something that no one else had. But he said nothing. I look forward to working with you all later. He saw Misonon looking at him strangely from her place with some of Minuets other friends and he excused himself from the IST table, and stepped outside the reception hall to have a quiet chat in his mixed up brain.
Misonon unfortunately joined him. I can tell something is bothering you Anamchara. We were too close for too long. Spill it. There in a quiet area of the reception area, while the party continued, Anamchara told his oldest friend what had brought him to Paragon City, a woman. Misonon only smiled. Isnt that what brought you to my side at one time? You may have changed hosts Adma, but what humans call your heart has not changed at all. The two old friends smiled and Anamchara gave in to a very human urge and gave his old friend a hug.
What did I do without you old friend?
Im sure your life was a lot less interesting. So, you need a plan. First step I think Anamchara, is for you to join IST.
He stared at her a long time before slowly starting to nod. First thing Monday morning I will be at the IST offices. Now, that weve settled that bit, theyve started the dancing, we will need to be present shortly. Anamchara stood and presented his arm to Misonon. May I escort you lady? Misonon laughed and took his arm.
Monday morning, 0800 hours found Anamchara at the IST Paragon City offices. A nice little office building in Steel Canyon with a nice view of one of the water reservoirs that passed for a lake. Anamchara had no doubt the building was highly customized with a firing range, gymnasium, and assorted other things youd never see in a regular office building outside of Paragon City anyway. He had gotten as far as Major Thibor Sawchyk to be interviewed as a possible recruit.
The Major didnt quite glare at the young man in front of him, but it also wasnt a friendly inviting smile either; unless you considered a snake smiling at a mouse friendly. So, why is wanting to join IST?
*Tell him everything Patrick.* Adma suggested.
For obvious reasons. IST has a good reputation. Youll see from my reference letters that I am capable of handling
Stop. Is not real reason. Would guess Windy is reason. Am not wrong I think. He gave what could only be called a wolfish grin.
*Tell him Patrick.* Adma pleaded.
Anamchara sat up and looked at Thibor right in the eyes. I saw Windy Day on a talk show a few months ago and knew I had to meet her. And no, Im not some obsessed stalker type. Ive been here almost two months and I havent tried to meet her yet. The first time I had even gotten close to her was at the wedding.
Where met Alan. Anamchara stiffed. Where is problem. Romance not reason to join IST.
Anamchara waited. Thibor said nothing else. Understood then. Thank you for your time. He went to rise, but the Major stood first and placed his hand on Anamcharas shoulder.
First is testing physical standards. He opened his office door and signalled to a young oriental woman sitting at a desk just outside. Naoko, is getting Anamchara set up to take physical exam and endurance tests. The Major turned to Anamchara. Is meeting you in gymnasium when done with paperwork.

The IST gymnasium had been built with an observation area. There was currently no one in it except for one excited and inquisitive young Japanese woman. About halfway through Anamcharas endurance tests, a second woman joined Naoko in the gallery. Hey, I thought we were going shopping? What are you doing here?
New recruit. She pointed down to the gym floor where Anamchara looked like he was preparing to wrestle Thibor.
Windy looked down in the gym and saw Thibor with someone she vaguely recognized. Hey, I think I met him at the wedding. Whats his name?
Anamchara.
Yeah, thats him. I wondered about his name.
It apparently means Soul Friend in old Irish. Kind of fits. Hes a Kheld partnership.
Really? Windy edged closer to look down again. In less then 5 minutes she had turned back to Naoko. Lets go shopping. Im buying lunch.
Thibor watched the two women leave. Is noticing Windy is here?
Anamchara, dressed in an IST issue t-shirt and shorts, bent over hands on knees and breathing hard answered, No, too busy dodging you.
Is good. Thibor went to clap him on the shoulder but once again Anamchara dodged. Thibor took no notice. Is being Kheld partner yes?
Yes. He was still breathing heavily.
Why is not using Kheld partnership for attack and defence?
Anamchara looked up and gave Thibor a wolfish grin. Secret Weapon. Thibor returned the grin and moved in to attack. Anamchara shifted to Nova form and slipped out of the way.
Is only making moving target now. Thibor's body exploded outward as he assumed his wolfen form. Muscles shifted like Volkswagens parking as he threw a hundred pound free weight at him, then another. Anamchara aimed carefully and let out one bolt, hitting Thibor in the chest and knocking him backwards. Anamchara moved in for the kill switching back to human form and whipping a knife out to hold to Thibors throat.
Is good secret weapon. Is knowing Windy is watching?
Is not caring at this point. Youre doing that to distract me.
Is good. Thibors jaws snapped the blade of the knife off at the hilt. He spat it on the floor. Next time bring silver. Evaluation over. Is meeting in briefing room to discuss.
Anamchara backed away slowly, waiting for Thibor to get up before giving a small bow and heading to the change rooms. When he was out of sight, Thibor looked up to where Lieutenant Colonel Camille Hoyle was seated in the gallery. She walked over to the railing and leaned over.
I should think that he shall do rather nicely. Her prim British accent didnt quite carry as far as Thibors voice did in the gym. And we are so woefully understaffed here, that it would be champion if we had another field agent.
Is true. Thibor smiled broadly, he picked up the weights he tossed earlier and dropped them back in the racks. Speaking of free time, is having at least half an hour before next briefing.
Major! Cammy blushed, the colour reaching the tips of her ears. I should remind that you that we are both on duty at this moment.
You should. Thibor agreed, nodding sagely. Is question, are you going to?
Yes. We are both on duty at this moment. Cammy assumed a parade rest stance and glared at her aide de camp. But we are off duty at six this evening, barring any unreasonable crisis. We can take dinner together, and discuss this further then.
Affirmative. Thibor smiled and saluted sharply.

Anamchara sat in the briefing room and waited. Hed left the door open so anyone could walk in. Lt.Col. Hoyle was the one who walked in, followed by Major Sawchyk. The Major shut the door and held a chair out for the Colonel. He stood behind her as she slid a sheet of paper across the table to Anamchara.
Windy Day, Naoko Yoshida and Kyoko Yamashiro aka QB Kitsune sat at a little beach side bistro in Talos, munching on appetizers as they waited for their sandwiches to be brought to them. Windy turned to Naoko. So, how are you and Simon doing? Her voice was very suggestive, as if she wanted all the juicy details.
Naoko smiled and grabbed another jalapeno popper. Hes coming along nicely. Were heading up to Ottawa next weekend; Im meeting his grandparents.
Oh wow! Windy turned to Kyoko, And you and Glaive? Kyoko gave a vulpine smile but said nothing. Windy sighed and grabbed a mozzarella stick before slumping back into her chair. I hate you both. The statement was made in friendship and all three of them laughed at it.
Things not going good with Alan? Kyoko asked as Naoko nabbed another popper.
Things arent going at all. Hes fun but theres just no spark. You know? I mean, I see you two with Simon and Glaive and its just, they worship the ground you walk on. How could I settle for anything less?
Speedway is always first to volunteer when he sees you on the register. Naokos gulped half her iced tea. Windy snorted, almost getting her soft drink up her nose. Well, at least he has a nice butt.
Cant argue with that. Kyoko agreed.
Naoko! Kyoko! What would Simon and Glaive think if they heard you talking like that? Windy feigned outrage.
Hey! I can look! They all laughed. No really, what about Speedy?
Hes fun to be with but, hes Speedy. She paused trying to find the right words. She let out a strange snort then started laughing. Its Speedway, everything is over too fast.
The three women all let out shrieks of amazement and uproarious laughter. Windy was almost ashamed shed said it, almost. Speedway would understand. Hed have a good laugh about it himself. She hoped.
When they had all calmed down, and were served their sandwiches, Naoko spoke around a mouthful of toxically hot capicollo ham and provolone. What about the new recruit, Anamchara? Windy actually blushed a little bit. She tried to cover it by grabbing a bite of food. Nothing could distract Naoko. Oooo, youre blushing. Naoko bounced up and down on her chair. I thought you were watching him with interest this morning in the gym.
Kyoko halted the conversation for a moment. New Recruit? What did I miss? Tell me tell me!
Windy rolled her eyes as her two friends discussed Anamchara. They paused only when the waiter came by to ask if they needed anything else, then continued right along. Windy let them talk. Her thoughts had turned inward. Alan was really nice and she enjoyed being with him, but he was a good friend. That was it. Like shed said, there was no spark.
Right Windy? She brought her head up from her sandwich mid-bite and looked at her friends with the I have no idea what you just said to me look. Naoko and Kyoko laughed.
None of them realized that the older lady at the table next to them was listening in on their conversation.