Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Ascendant's Phone Calls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was going through the City of Heroes forums looking for something. I was searching my own posts because I thought I remembered posting to the topic. My search brought up something else I had posted to which I thought I should share.
There is a Tanker named Ascendant on Virtue server. I believe his player is still around and even brings him out still on occasion even though he's long since reached 50 and exhausted all the content, just for roleplaying purposes and to help friends out. I've met the guy in-game once or twice.
He's apparently well known on the boards and in-game as a role-player and occasional writer.
One of the things he's most well-known for is a little comedy routine he'd pull either in Beta or early in the game's release. He'd park himself one of the Trams next to the pay phones and have a one-sided discussion - usually hilarious - that would make people stop and hang around to listen to.
The post in question is one where he posted two of the "scripts" of his phone calls. The first is Ascendant talking to his moronic publicity agent, Saul. The second is him talking to his mom. They are hilarious and I can only imagine how cool encountering them in-game would have been!
Here's the link.
Check out the links in his initial post to the other stuff. It's really quite good.
The part that just cracks me up is the following -
Quote:
Ascendant: Moving on. The Ascendant Cave Action Playset.
Ascendant: Yeah, I actually like this thing. It doesn't look anything like my apartment, but it's pretty cool, I guess.
Ascendant: What do you mean they changed the name so it could fit on the box?
Ascendant: Well, sure, I guess Ascendant Cave Action Playset is a little long, but couldn't they just use a smaller font?
Ascendant: Fine, so what do they call it now? The Action Cave? Ascendant's Lair? What?
Ascendant: The A-Hole?!?!?!
Ascendant: Why on Earth would they call it the A-Hole, Saul?
Ascendant: Yes, I understand the 'A' is short for Ascendant, you moron, but why not call it the A-Cave? or the A-Lair?
Ascendant: Uh huh... Yeah... I see...
Ascendant: Well, we're NOT calling my secret headquarters the A-Hole, Saul, and that's final.

I especially liked the one post further down by Digital who said -
Quote:
Recently, I asked him about his cave.
Digital: Hey Ascendant. How's the A-Hole?
Ascendant: Impregnable Digi, impregnable.
-Logan
-----------------
"Wake up! Time for SCIENCE!"
-Adam Savage
-----------------
Y'know how stuff like "Kraken's up in Perez" and other Giant Monster sightings are things that get broadcast to various zones and all over globals?
Well, at one time, "ASCENDANT'S MAKING A PHONE CALL!!" used to be a major thing in itself.
If you've seen random NPCs with phones, saying things like "Ascendant? I don't know an Ascendant?" or "That's Ascendant with an 'A'..." - that's references to him. One of the devs said as much. More recently, during the Winter event, Ghost Widow made a quip about how they were totally excited to team with Ascendant.
's cute, it is.
Ascendant is a very good writer in general. He's got some serious - ie, non-humour - bits of fiction posted on the forums. He also runs RP events, that kinda stuff. I was hanging around when he and some others did the Dr. Crom 'Fight The Future' RP-PVP thing. So, yeah. Cool dude.
-- Acyl

The Hunterminator

BWAHAHAHAHA! I love that so much. A-Hole... *giggle*
Btw, while browsing through the topic, I found that,
media.libsyn.com/media/mi...eCalls.mp3
an MP3 podcast of those 'sketches' that's fun to listen to.