Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Uh...I won't be around a lot.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Atari and Square Enix have conspired to EAT MY LIFE, and release Final Fantasy 12 and Neverwinter Nights 2 at the same time.
I may need a time turner.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
"Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legend! Right, Boo?"
*Waves* I'm still alive myself, just been occupied with RL. *Points at jpub* I'm about to be in the same boat as him since I already have FFXII and will have NWN2 as soon as my local EB games gets it shipped in..then I may have to take a couple..*cough*sick*cough* days off *grins*
Also shall not be around a lot for I, too am on a FF XII kick.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Mekadave

I got my NWN 2 preorder this week as well, and haven't even had a chance to install it. Probably this weekend, I guess.
Now that the Halloween stuff is over, I have several characters that need attention. Most of my Legendary toons are below the level for the new Faultline, so this should be cool.
Global: @Jimmy Amp
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers
Mekadave, since you, like me, have an SLI setup, some tips:
1) Get the most recent nVidia drivers, they have a NWN2 profile, albeit a screwy one.
2) Open up c[Image: ohwell.gif] windowssystem32
vapps.xml, find the Neverwinter Nights 2 entry, and add a line for nwn2main.exe under the one for nwn2.exe
3) Load up your nVidia control panel and click on the nwn2main.exe entry to activate it (just so the silly thing will actually parse it into memory) - OR - Reboot.
Now you should have SLI running in NWN2. Do that, turn off water effects, bloom, and lower the shadows to low, and you get a decent framerate of more than 30fps.
*Not* impressed with the graphics coding of this game.--

Mekadave

Interesting. I'll check that out when I get home.
I had to go get the latest drivers (93.71) just to make the game run. It was a literal slideshow with the 91.33's in the opening movie and the Main Menu buttons would not work. (Funny how Nvidia released these the day after NWN2 hit, eh?) The 93.71's worked like a charm, except that SLI won't enable. SLI on the new drivers works with all my other games, just not NWN2. I was going to post that to the Atari feedback thread. I'll try your steps when I get home.
Did you try enabling Coolbits so you can edit game profiles in the Nvidia control panel? You can actually change which executable is supposed to activate the SLI. I'll try changing the executable to nwn2main.exe through the Coolbits method as well. ETA: Just saw something on the Atari board about running nwn2main_amdxp.exe I have an Athlon Dual Core, gonna have to give that a shot.
Just thought of this: did you run the game's autopatcher? They released the 1.01 patch on Friday or Saturday as well.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow's too lazy to form an opinion." -- Will Rogers
I haven't run Coolbits in an age.
Another thing to do is open up the My Docs/nwn2.ini file and change "Refresh Rate" to 0. That turns off VSync, which will make the SLI loadbars appear.
For some reason, in a lot of the custom profiles, when you enable VSync it turns off the loadbars, even if SLI is running.
--

Mekadave

Hah! Funny that I'd edit my post right when you were making a new one. [Image: roll.gif]
The amd_xp file does bupkis.
It's only for Athlon XP procs, as far as I can tell. --

Mekadave

Well, well... new patch out. It's up to 1.02 today.
Eh, just a hotfix for cutscenes and scripted events. A 17 MB hotfix.

Mekadave

Hey, what's the command to display the framerate again? I can't find the thing.
The Framerate command isn't automatically assigned to a key, but you can assign it to one from the Keymapping section of Options. It's in misc. down near the bottom.-Logan
-----------------
"This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of "No, Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument that only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . ."
-----------------
Or, hit tilde to bring up the console, and then "showfps" to toggle.--

Mekadave

Quote:
1) Get the most recent nVidia drivers, they have a NWN2 profile, albeit a screwy one.
2) Open up c windowssystem32
vapps.xml, find the Neverwinter Nights 2 entry, and add a line for nwn2main.exe under the one for nwn2.exe
3) Load up your nVidia control panel and click on the nwn2main.exe entry to activate it (just so the silly thing will actually parse it into memory) - OR - Reboot.
Now you should have SLI running in NWN2. Do that, turn off water effects, bloom, and lower the shadows to low, and you get a decent framerate of more than 30fps.
*Not* impressed with the graphics coding of this game.

Tried these things. Still no SLI. Framerate is crap. I am very irritated at Atari for releasing this half-baked program early so it would sell for the holidays.
Seriously, what's twrong with them? This is nowhere near the graphical quality of something like...oh...say...ANY of the graphically demanding games of the past 2 years, and yet it runs slower than any of them?
I'm seriously tempted to put this one aside, pick up NWN Diamond Pack, and go get my fix there.--
On the method I posted above:
Instead of *adding* the nwn2main.exe line, *replace* the existing line with it.
Then open up the control panel, select the NWN2 profile, and hit Apply.
Load bars still won't show up, but both my cards are heating up, so I assume it's working.--

Mekadave

Yeah, I hear that. I get the feeling that this wouldn't have been so bad if Bioware had done the game instead of someone else. At least, I hope not.
Just checked the Atari boards again. The guy that claimed he got a big performance boost from running nwn2main_amdxp.exe says he has an Athlon 64 4000+. Guess I will be trying that when I get home.
Here's another. Make sure Xfire is turned off. Dev post said that they found that if it was running, it killed framerate for lots of people. Lovely that it comes bundled with NWN 2, isn't it? [Image: frown.gif]

Oh, I never installed XFire anyway. Wife sleeps on the couch, so no voice chat for me, remember?
On another note, while talking to one of my friends at the local EB (the city manager), there's apparently been a worldwide run on copies of the NWN Diamond pack.
He showed me the market research from head office, which states quite clearly that people are so ticked off about the crappy performance of NWN2 they're picking up the Diamond pack as a stopgap until Atari/Obsidian gets it working properly.--
"Ha ha!" says the guy who bought Diamond for the sole purpose of playing Twoflower's mods, and has zero interest in 2 until such time as Gagne takes one. ^.^
--Sam
"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

Mekadave

That soooo doesn't surprise me. This thing needed a few more months in beta testing and Atari simply made them release it now for the holiday season. When will those bastards ever learn? I can't wait to see the smacking that PCGamer is going to give them over releasing a buggy game.
I'm about 2 inches from uninstalling it, installing my Diamond pack and buying a couple of those Premium modules to play. It's poorly programmed - I mean, hell, it looks like crap next to Oblivion, and it runs at a fraction the performance.
The graphics code is horrible. Honestly, what was Obsidian/Atari thinking releasing this?
--