Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Short: "Storytellers" (Space Mage)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A short little piece. In-character musings.
Consider this my widdle parting gift before I, y'know, vanish for a couple weeks to travel and sort out RL stuff. >_o
(Well, I'll probably be able to read the boards from time to time, whenever I can sneak net access...but I dunno how much time I'll have, and so on. Y'know.)
Anyway, a little insight into Space Mage's head. She's not just fluff and energy, you see...

STORYTELLERS
by Space Mage

We need stories.
We do.
They keep us going. They keep us breathing. Fiction, fables, tomes and tales. We need to hear. We need to believe.
Really, think about it. It's not like I'm pulling your leg or anything.
We tell stories to kids, of princesses, of animals, of magic and light. But they ain't just for children! Or if they are, then there's a part of us that never grows up. Like Peter Pan, except, you know, on the inside.
Books tell stories. So do movies, games, and television.
Maybe they're not good stories...but...no. No, no, no. All stories are good.
All tales have meaning. Maybe not the meaning their creators intended...but hey! Meaning all the same!
Some stories bring happiness and joy, smiles to faces, cheer to hearts. We love those stories, we all do.
But they're not the only stories.
There's stories that bring sadness, dread, and despair. The really, really, depressing ones.
But...
That doesn't make 'em bad. Fear can be conquered. Even if it isn't, it can help us. It can give us pause, make us reflect. It can make us think about stuff we've never thought of before, to ask tough questions about our lives and souls. Sometimes we don't like the answers, sure, but...maybe there's some things that should be feared.
There's meaning in stories. Whether they inspire or scare us, that doesn't matter. They teach us, that's the most important part. New lessons, and also old ones, things we should already know, things that should never, ever, be forgotten.
There's only so many themes out there, you know. Family, love, salvation, victory over evil. Or the trumph of darkness over light, and the breaking of such things. But that's the same story, just the other way. Because nasty things do happen in life. We can't deny that. Stuff happens.
But we want happy endings. For ourselves, at least. That's what we want to hear, what we need to hear.
There's power in stories. They reflect what we are. Our nightmares - and our dreams.
Buddha was a teacher. Muhammad was a prophet. But Jesus was a storyteller. The Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son. He told stories, he made people think. Jesus was a storyteller. And he was a story. He came, he died to save the world - isn't that the biggest story of all? What we hope a hero to be.
Gods a storyteller. The world's a story.
Like all true stories, the world isn't all happy. There's tragedy, there's people dying, there's wasted lives. There's always conflict, always suffering.
But there's also a promise of victory. Victory in the end.
That's what we hold out for. That's what we need to believe in.
We need stories.
We need faith.

-- Acyl
You know, I find it somewhat amusing that my favourite and most complex RP characters evolved rather than being designed that way. I mean, "Superball" was just a costume design with a silly pun name (it's a children's toy) stuck on. "Space Mage", similarly. No background at all when I started playing 'em. It just fell into place as I went on. Just goes to show...
-- Acyl
Very nice! And I totally know what you mean about characters evolving as you play them.
Also, that 'Buddha was a teacher. Muhammad was a prophet. But Jesus was a storyteller' line is going into my quote file, as the first thing that isn't a joke.--
I am the Borg-again Christian. Resistance to my sermon is futile. You will be baptized. Your dogma is irrelevant.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Bravo, Acyl, bravo. I liked this very much. And the "Jesus was a storyteller" line is going into my quote file as well.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
...it's always the lines you don't plan that are the really good ones, ain't they? It just popped into my head when I got there. Tho, granted, the analogy was one I knew I wanted to make...in some fashion. That was sorta the point...
But really, tho, think about it. I mean, I actually know a fair bit about religious education for little kids...one of my best friends in high school was actually the Buddhist equiv of a Sunday School Teacher. Except, y'know, what he taught those poor kids was a lot more...academic.
Whereas, y'know, the church has nifty things like fuzzy boards and little cutout figures of Moses and stuff with velcro on the back...
-- Acyl
(belated reply, since my only 'net access right now is via squatting in a university computer lab. o_o)
-- Acyl