Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A visual tour of the Legendary Base: UPDATE - New Room!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For writers who may want a handy visual reference of the base without entering the game, members of coalition groups who might wander by to take a peek, and just because I like to show off (^_^), I present a slideshow tour of the Legendary base!
Main Entry and Reception. Here is where Legendary and Coalition members will first enter. Portal courtesy of Portal Corp.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Entry.jpg]

Just off the Reception area on either side are Teleport Bays 1 and 2. Both are identical. Bay 1 Teleporters go to the lower security level zones such as Atlas Park, Galaxy City, and Kings Row. Bay 2 Teleporters go to Mid level Zones such as Steel Canyon, Independence Port, and Talos Island.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Teleport_Bay.jpg]

This is the main Control Center. This Super Computer is where Lora'Lai coordinates major Supergroup operations and plans major additions to the base itself. Teleport Pads are programmed here and records of entry and exit can be monitered. Environmental, Power, and Security functions are handled here as well.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Control_Center.jpg]

This is Workshop #1. Where we have storage for salvaged items and worktables for examination and tinkering. Enhancement and Inspiration Bins are here as well.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Workshop_1.jpg]
Alternate Angle of Workshop 1

This is the view of the Lounge and Library from the hallway.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Lounge_Entry.jpg]

And the Lounge itself. We have quite a lot of eclectic volumes here. It's a nice quiet place to hang out with a couple of friends, or by yourself. There's a pretty stereo in here too. One wonders how the heck you get reception for the local Paragon radio stations from a pocket universe? Oh well, at least there's a good selection of CDs to listen to.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Lounge.jpg]

An overhead view of Workshop #2 with the Empowerment stations and Worktable.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Workshop_2_Over.jpg]

Here is the Infirmiry.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Infirmiry.jpg]

Opposite the infirmiry, we look down this back corridor towards the Generator room.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Back_Corridor.jpg]

And here is the Generator itself. Some tools, odds and ends are stored here as well.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_Generator.jpg]

Going back along the back corridor and turning left at the infirmiry, you see the entrance to the Main Meeting Hall.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_MeetingHall_Ent.jpg]

As you reach the end of the short hallway, you realize just how big the place is.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_MeetingHall_-1.jpg]

Look to the left as you enter, and you'll see Teleport Bay 3 with destinations to Higher Security Level Zones like Croatoa, Founders Falls, Brickstown and Peregrine Island.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_MeetingHall_Tel.jpg]

And here's an overhead view of the Meeting Hall and Teleport Bay 3.
[Image: Legendary_Base_Tour_MeetingHall_-2.jpg]

And lastly - an overview of the entire base floorplan. Screenshot taken from the base editor. This is the most recent version as of 9-10-06.
[Image: LegendaryBaseLayout9_10_06.jpg]-Logan
-----------------
"This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of "No, Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument that only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . ."
-----------------
Nicely done, Logan. Very nicely done. Thank you for all that work -- and I don't just mean assembling the post.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

Gaean Conspiracy

That is great, thank you so much.Gaean Conspiracy - @Gaean Conspiracy
---------------------------------
Time to take the grime out of crime
- Pretty Witty Kitty
Gaean Conspiracy - @Gaean Conspiracy
---------------------------------
Time to take the grime out of crime
- Pretty Witty Kitty
Very nice looking. I defenitly enjoy having such a nice looking base to run around in.
Did you just add Teleport Bay Three? Cause if not... I feel really stupid. And what's planned these day's for the base? Bigger plot?--
Instead of playing the role of a super hero, one degenerates into a strange bum luring villains to their doom in a trash dumpster. -Statesman
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all. 
Thanks for the compliments you guys. ^_^
As to what's planned for the future...
Well, see that large empty space in the upper right hand corner of the map on the overview? I want to put something there. But I'm not sure what.
One silly idea I've been thinking about involves putting another meeting hall in there, with seating and a dance floor. Because lord knows a lot of us got annoyed over at Pocket D with interrupted/distracted by the punks trying to be obnoxious. Maybe hold coalition meetings in there. And just have people tune in to Justice radio or The Cape for the music. (The Cape is the "official" net streaming "radio" station for the Virtue Server, while KPOW Justice radio is teh same for Justice Server. Just use your winamp and tune in). It wouldn't be quite as impressive as Pocket D, but it would be a LOT more private.
Then again, we don't have quite all the teleporters for all the Zones yet. Although with our coalition partners, we don't really NEED to.
Of course, eventually, a bigger plot will help. Although I am beginning to think we're coming up against the practical limits of what can be assomplished with a "casual" group like ours. We do NOT want to get draconian about prestige. And that's what I've heard truly Hardcore Base building Supergroups have to be. With enforcing log ins and quotas per week or tehy kick you out. I'd rather we remained friendlier than that. And have a functional base that suits us.
-Logan
-----------------
"This kind of thing tends invariably to devolve into the kind of "No, Nakajima, THIS is true power!!" argument that only really works if you're yelling it from the cockpit of a giant robot . . ."
-----------------

His Lovely Wife

Is there anything else that we actually NEED in the base - besides the last three teleporters - which we've been doing fine without so far.
I know you wanted the extra healers active for a new medical thingy, but what's after that?
-Cindy
Honestly? Unless we actually start doing or participating in base raids, I can't think of much else. There's supposed to be a supergroup set of missions that you can get via a specific mission computer (non-PVP I think) but I think that they had put that on hold while they worked out a few bugs. Guess we'll have to see if issue 8 addresses that.-Logan
-----------------
-----------------
The inspiration dispensers -- both kinds -- and the whatsis that boosts reclamator function are the only things left on my wish list, to be honest. I don't want us getting involved with raids because then that requires us to get all schedule-y and "everyone must be here at thus-and-such-a-time" and frankly, I think that's counter-fun.
And the whole point of the group and the base is, ultimately, fun.
-- Bob
---------
Did I forget to mention that PVP and base raids are NOT something I relish? And I don't want our SG to get involved in that sort of thing for exactly the reasons you mention.
-Logan
-----------------
-----------------
Okay, now that I think of it, here's another one of my dumb/ignorant questions.
What do the Empowerment stations let you build? Besides the intermediate-level raw materials for other things, that is?
-- Bob
---------
one-hour temp power buffs to your character.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
There was a straw poll, of sorts, on the empowerment stations...somewhere in the official CoH forums. I forget. But not many people said they used 'em.
Others, a minority, said they kept 'em perma.
After readin' that, though, I figured I might start. 'cause there's some pretty solid buffs in there. Like, say, Knockback protection. 's not expensive, either, cost like 1 Tech Material, and that ain't difficult to make - you'll probably earn the salvage material back by the time the buff wears off.
I admit I don't use 'em much right now, tho. Does anyone?
As for other stuff, well, the SG mission computer doesn't do much now, no. The devs have said they really wanna get the content working for it, and add more in the future, but...who knows when that'll arrive?
There's speculation that the promised Invention system, when it arrives, will involve base items and salvage. _Castle_, one of the big code guys, has stated the Invention system is the thing he's currently working on. Most players are expecting it in Issue 9 or so.
-- Acyl
I don't use it because I'm not sure how it works. @.@;
It's kind of a pity that base-raiding is so intensive... I'd love to see the look on some group's face when their HQ was invaded by a horde of three-foot-tall lizards... [Image: smile.gif]
--Sam
"Do you have pants?"
Quote:
Others, a minority, said they kept 'em perma.
How? (Not that I know how to use them at all, unless they act like temp powers...)
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I don't use it because I'm not sure how it works. @.@;
Same here.
Quote:
It's kind of a pity that base-raiding is so intensive... I'd love to see the look on some group's face when their HQ was invaded by a horde of three-foot-tall lizards...
Is that how tall the Race are supposed to be? I didn't realize...
-- Bob
---------
That's essentially what they are. Temp powers. You'll even see the icons for them in the upper right hand corner under your health bar, like Temp powers.
One thing I would caution - If everyone starts using them, that will cut down on the salvage we can use for base stuff. HOWEVER - seeing as how most of the functional stuff for the base as it stands right now is already made, that's not a huge deal. Just something to consider.
But yes, these things can be VERY useful. They are mostly resistances and buffs. -Logan
-----------------
-----------------
Evangelia could definitely make use of anything that provides resistance to psionic attacks... I'll have to look and see what can be made, now.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
There's speculation that the promised Invention system, when it arrives, will involve base items and salvage. _Castle_, one of the big code guys, has stated the Invention system is the thing he's currently working on.
Acyl, what's the Invention system going to let you invent? I can't see it being allowed to produce powers, so it must be limited to gadgetry for the base, right?
-- Bob
---------
I think I can say confidently that I was not the only one seriously annoyed with the interlopers at Pocket D who made nuisances of themselves at the coalition meeting. Even when put onto ignore lists, they still hung around, making noise and drawing attention. It seriously torqued me off, I can tell you!
Well, in the future, we'll have an alternative.
Legendary and Coalition members! I present to you your new meeting hall, dance floor and bar area!

[Image: screenshot_2006-09-12-08-43-31.jpg]

It may not be as impressive, but at least we won't have to worry about uninvited "guests" making nuisances of themselves, eh?
This view is looking back across the dance floor towards the bar. Let's all drink responsibly, right? Friends don't let friends drink and fly!
[Image: screenshot_2006-09-12-08-57-17.jpg]

Here's a better view from above. Nice big dance floor with dark wood paneling. Plenty of seats around for everyone. Should be lots of fun! I wonder about those torches during times when lots of people are there. Will the graphics load force people out of the base? Maybe a stress test is in order. Good excuse for an online party, right?
[Image: screenshot_2006-09-12-09-01-51.jpg]

Now, here's where everyone else comes in. Enterprise has 10-Forward, the MASH guys had "The Swamp". In City of Heroes, of course, we've got Pocket D.
So we need a name for the place. Don't want to confuse it with the main meeting hall. Let's have it be something catchy and recognizable. "Meet me in ________" Should let teh other person know exactly what you're talking about.
I want anyone participating to post a few ideas for a name. Say... maybe 3-5. Keep them short. 1-2 words only please. -Logan
-----------------
-----------------
Legen-D?
Quote:
Acyl, what's the Invention system going to let you invent? I can't see it being allowed to produce powers, so it must be limited to gadgetry for the base, right?
I've got absolutely no idea. The developers are keeping the whole thing under tight wraps. They haven't said what it is, what it's gonna do...only that it's called the "Invention System", and even that's only a tentative title.
We were informed that it was "coming soon", but it wouldn't be in Issue 8. _Castle_, one of the senior Cryptic programmers...posted a few days ago that the Invention System is his current big project...what he's working on right now.
That's...really about it. Everything else is speculation. We don't even know that it's gonna be tied to bases or salvage.
-- Acyl
"I shall call him...Mini-D."
The Bar.
The Bar and Grill.
The Ritz.
The Rez.
(What? It's a pick-me-up, right?)
EDIT: This is pretty damn cool, Logan. Well, your interior design's always neat, but bwahahahahaha. This rocks. I just hope we'll be able to get use out of it.
As a logistics issue...we currently ain't actually coalitioned with anyone else besides Liberty F.O.R.C.E., so we'd have to rectify that, formerly link up with the other groups, in order to offer this as a viable alternative meeting venue. But that's easily solved, I suppose.
I personally wanna have fun with this. Because Syndesis...likes bartending. Far as making drinks goes, anyway. She approaches it with all the flair of a former mad scientist's minion. She's actually pretty good. Aside from her tendency to mix cocktails at super-speed. She also lights those fancy drinks...with a borrowed Longbow flamethrower.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it tends to unsettle people...
-- Acyl
The Vitruvian
The Huddle (
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Oh, that is just too freakin' cool. I can't wait to get home and get online to check the place out.
What's the section with the black walls over in one corner? I thought at first it might be the entrance, but I can see that in the last shot, and there are no walls around it.
We need to contact Mighty Solaris at Liberty F.O.R.C.E. and offer the space now. As Acyl has already noted, this will require us to complete hooking up with the other groups in the coalition so they can all access the base, but I don't really have a problem with that.
As for a name? I like Foxboy's suggestion of "Virtue's Reward", but "Our Place" has that homey feel to it...
Oh, and if anyone's up for stress-testing, I'll definitely wander by around 9 PM tonight.
-- Bob
---------
Glad you like it, Bob! ^_^

Quote:
What's the section with the black walls over in one corner? I thought at first it might be the entrance, but I can see that in the last shot, and there are no walls around it.
That's the entrance to the Generator room. I put a partition there to break up the view. Kinda like how you don't want the customers to necessarily have a distracting view into the kitchen, right?
On a related note, this whole space is also cheap! I used the Oversight Center room for 50,000 prestige rather than the decorative space of the same size for 150,000. Since you can put that combo Control and power device in the room, I tucked it back behind the partition out of the way. (I was tempted to put it out in the room along one of the walls and call it our "jukebox", because it's almost the right size!) Thus, giving us just that much more power and control bonus and a nice big decorative hall for less than it would've cost to buy just the decorative space itself!
Also, can you guess how I managed a different colored center area for the dance floor than the surrounding tablespace area? I was pleased and amused by how that worked out. -Logan
-----------------
-----------------
Pages: 1 2 3