Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Sunday TF report: CoT, Eden Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Eden:

The Eden Trial was a breeze, again. I believe we've got this one mastered. Personally, I'm gonna try and push it once more, with Mag, for the badge,
but I think we're about done with it as a group. It _appears_ that a busy Fire/Kin can provide enough buff/debuff to get the job done. Nothing special to
report for it, just a nice solid run.

Cavern of Transcendence:

This was the most embarrassed I've ever been on a TF. When we were all in and focussed, we did great, but I felt like we just weren't 'on' for
this one. I personally feel like I was not performing anywhere near the top of my game - and I apologise for that.

However, we muddled through and succeeded, despite some wonderful stupidities on my part (whaddya mean we don't clear the room? they're lookin' at
me funny! *clobber dead tank*). The CoT trial isn't actually that difficult, provided you have a pathfinding stealthing teleporter.

Being back down to level 15 was almost painful, I have to admit.

The CoT trial is a single-mission timed trial, levels 12-15, that occurs in the Hollows. The Trial requires 8 people. Given the presence of a teleporting
stealther, the trial can be _very_ simple, and require only three minor fights and one moderate fight. Start the TF, and all zone into the Troll Tunnels (there
is an entrance within easy walking distance of the TF start point). The Teleporter then moves to the door to the Trial Zone (which is marked on the map), and
teleports folk in. All zone into the Trial Zone. At this point, the Teleporter moves to the Locked Door and tank-drops in firepower until the run up to the
Locked Door is cleared. The Teleporter then places a group member at each of the monoliths. Timing the next part is best/easiest off of the Mission Timer.

All eight click simultaneously, once the Monoliths are down, the Teleporter returns to the Locked Door area and assembles the team. The tank opens the door,
and aggros the group consisting of some LTs and Minions and a Monster behind it.

Care should be taken during this fight to prevent aggro of the additional 'hostage taker' spawn at the back of the room. Once the Monster and crew is
dealt with, the hostage spawn is easy. The Trial is complete.

It's my understanding that noone hardly ever does this TF - and it's quick and easy. If we re-did it with focus and knowledgeable, alert leadership, we
could probably knock it out in 20 minutes. The reward drop is a 'class b' recipe, explaining why this isn't more popular.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Well, I want the badge from COT for Evangelia; she's been part of only one attempt at the TF, and it failed. (Best that I can recall is that we wasted way
too much time, and we were unaware of the "endgame" after the obelisks until it was far too late to do anything more than get killed trying to run
for its door and then have the timer run out.) I would be very happy to try this again with a crew who knows what they're doing.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Okay, having gotten the badge on Syndesis, who's still essentially my main badge-collector...I'd be willing to do this on Space Mage.

And I'm also willing to respec Space to have full invisibility and recall friend at level 15. Now that I've seen it being done, I'm confident I can handle that bit myself.

(Note, Space is already set up as a stealth teleporter, but she doesn't currently have the powers that low - so I'll be reshuffling the order of powers in my build to facilitate it. Admittedly this will remove my ability to do anything else but heal, rez, and slow stuff, but really, that's probably all you need from a lowbie defender. =)
-- Acyl
Edit: Okay, I missed SUNDAY in big letters up in the topic title Tongue I've got two heroes that can do this, one of which only hit 16 today.
All I can say is yall people were spot on with what I needed you to be doing. Braende's partial stealth and the winding tunnels were most of the problem.
If I had a more complete stealth things would have gone with out a hitch, I believe. Getting to the Door is the hard part, seeing as it is filled with nasty
trolls and pumicites. With my meager 30ft stealth, I caught the tail end of one spawn, and then people had to clear their way to me. The same thing happened in
the Trial, as I was teleporting about looking for the last obliesk (No Map Hurts on a place like that) I tripped the tail end of a spawn and so we had to take
a good 10-15 min clearing it. I can say though, everyone we brought followed directions well enough. One blaster I knew not, didn't want to stay put after
we hit the obs, but he didn't aggro so I can't -really- blame him to much. Mags also opened up the door before we were assembled, but he didn't
draw anything so I forgive him.

Mostly this trial requires patience to sit still and wait for a port, and the stealth so the porter doesn't get ganked. We had enough of both to succeed,
but it took a little bit longer.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
would you be willing to port-taxi another crew through on Sunday, Ankh?
I'd like to get in on this, too, if possible. I have a fire/fire blaster, a stone/stone tank, a broadsword/dark scrapper, and a fire/kin 'troller that
I could get into the right level range by this weekend. I just need to know which I should bring. [Image: smile.gif]

I love the Trials and Task Forces. It's not the rewards; it's the in-character banter, the challenge, and the sense of purpose that draw me to these.
And as a group (or set of), The Legendary *rocks* *the* *house* when it comes to these things. So when looking to fill out a Trial or TF, count me in if
I'm available schedule-wise. I don't care what it is. I'd do Positron again, even. [Image: smile.gif]

ETA: I meant to add, I found it especially impressive that we were able to split into two groups during the Eden trial and both clear the arches and take down
the mold wall at the same time. *After* handling an unexpected GM spawn. I think we've got this one *dialed*.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
The reason no one does the CoT trial is the dependency on the Stealthing/Invis Teleporter.
Quote:dependency

quoted for TRUTH. Thinking more about this, I do not believe that it is plausible to either a) clear the entire room and disperse to obelisks, or b) clear a way to an obelisk with one person, which is what it would come down to with Alternate Strategy #1. Stealthing porter is really the only way to fly here.
I'd be good to give it another go, if yall would have me. I might juggle a little with B's powers and try and include the Stealth power in there as
well, so I might be in the market for another respec this week.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
If you've got the cash, ankh, I also suggest tossing a Celerity: Stealth into your Sprint. That's gonna be standard issue for all my toons now.

Render

Quote: Wiredgeek wrote:

Quote: dependency

Thinking more about this, I do not believe that it is plausible to either a) clear the entire room and disperse to obelisks, or b) clear a way to an obelisk
with one person, which is what it would come down to with Alternate Strategy #1. Stealthing porter is really the only way to fly here.

I did it without a stealthy porter once, back in my pre-Legendary days. I would only try it again with a solid Legendary-based team (cause you guys
rock) and then only on a dare. I've been thinking about having Badb respec into recall friend for things like this, since she's effectively invisible
with super speed active.

I can't remember exactly how we managed it without a sneaky porter. Clear and disperse didn't work, the Igneous respawned too fast. But we re-cleared
the side tunnels in groups of four(ish) operating on each side of the room, rather than trying to get the whole team together, and we were able to get someone
to each obelisk eventually. The worst part was trying to regroup the team afterward. The cavern was full of Igenous and we were scattered. But we managed it
somehow, and got to rescue Wincott before Koago and company could turn us to paste. Barely.

Lessons learned:

Note the shape of the cavern. There's the entrance passage where you come in. Directly across from that is a steep uphill ramp to the door you must open.
On either side of the line between them there are 4 twisty passages, all alike. It's no map, but understanding the layout somewhat going in helps.
Confusion kills. We numbered them, clockwise from the entrance. Being able to say 'Tunnel 3' is much better than yelling 'help!' and hoping
they can find you.

Obelisks break line of sight. Non-stealthy characters can hide behind one and avoid being seen by respawning guards. You've got to hug your destiny,
Arthur! Hug it!

You do not want to have to hosp/base if you're defeated. Bring wakies. Someone who can rez is also nice. Especially if you're trying to do this the
hard way.

There are two or three Igneous at the back guarding Sam Wincott. Defeat them and you win. You do not have to beat Koago (the monster) or the mobs around him.
He doesn't even give you a badge. So you might as well beat the Trial first and then try to take the big guy down. At least that way, if you lose the
battle, you still won the war.
I've gotten conflicting information on which mobs respawn in the trial. One friend swears that it's the mobs in the central cavern that respawns. One guide I read insists the central mobs do NOT respawn, but the ones in the individual tunnel branches leading to the obelisks DO. I do not know which is correct.

I will note, however, that the Igneous are very hard to fight at Level 15 - they're pretty tough enemies for that range, because they've got some mez and they run around a lot.

The latter, in particular, means it's very easy to get adds in the cavern. That's what happened to us a couple times. In one instance, I distinctly recall a Igneous doing a runner - and it was the radiation anchor. I knew there wouldn't be enough time to type 'TURN RI OFF' and be understood, so all I could do was watch as it dashed off and aggro'd the next group due to the rad debuff. Sucks.

I'm pretty sure we also got at least one add due to someone being knockback'd into another spawn...and so on, so forth. Like I said. It's very harsh at level 15.

Probably too harsh. I can condone insane challenges for higher level content, but for the very first trial in the game? And whose bright idea was it to require a full team of 8 with actual synchronity? =P
-- Acyl