Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Momentary semi-absence (but not really)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just as a heads up to everyone... I've been dragged kicking and screaming summoned for jury duty. It messes with my work and home
schedule something awful, with the result that I don't know how much time I'll have to play, or when I'll have it to play with, for this week and
next.

And, thanks to the laws in the county and/or state that I live in... even this first trial finishes up tomorrow, I'm still in the pool for further trials,
for the full two weeks. Arrgh.

So, anyway, if you don't see me around, this is why.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs
Gee, isn't it slightly ironic that, like, helping the pursuit of justice in the REAL WORLD is interfering with your ability to fight VIRTUAL CRIME?!

...er.

Okay, sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist. That sucks though. Hang in there, man. =(
-- Acyl
dress up like Emerald, and start talking to Mr. Whiskers.. you'll be out of Jury Duty in no time! (and in a nice room with a nice new coat, but hey.. )
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Acyl, you have to have the right priorities, is all. I mean, those Hellions are PLANNING something, I swear! [Image: smile.gif]

In all honesty... I don't mind being called for jury duty. I'm mildly irritated at my company, which -- although I'm salaried, don't have to
clock, and practically set my own hours ANYway -- is requiring me to get a confirmation slip from the courthouse to prove I was there, and I'm irked at the
whole "You MUST show up on time, and we'll call you if we need you, now sit here and wait." mentality that the court shows. And lets not even get
into the judges assistants, who refer to us by number even though they ARE allowed to use our names, and they HAVE our names right there on their clipboards
(and yes, I checked, they're allowed to call us by name, they're choosing not to). The judges have all used our names, and two of the three lawyers
I've dealt with have used our names... I hate being referred to by a number, dammit. Grumble.

And lets not even get INTO the WiFi access available at the courthouse. Yes, they have wifi. Yes, you can access "the internet". Kinda. But you
HAVE to use Internet Explorer, and you actually can't access the Internet, you can simply surf the web. So I can't even VPN in to work to get stuff
done...

Blargh.

Okay, rant over. Suffice it to say, the jury duty itself I don't mind, it's the BS that's coming with it that irritates me. [Image: smile.gif]

On the positive side, I'm meeting LOTS of interesting new people, some of whom don't really look so good in institutional orange...

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs