Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All this writing....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

His Lovely Wife

...is inspiring. And not helping my altitis AT ALL!

OK, my latest short story is to introduce my newest toon. Here you go:

SOLAR GAIN

It's not easy being a hero. It's even worse when you used to be a villain.
So here I stood in Atlas Park registering my change in status. I had never actually lived here. Dad had
turned me in before he took possession of the house here in town. I had no memories to haunt me. Oh, except for
the time I robbed the bank. Twice. I just wouldn't go there to deposit anything.

The lady who was serving me at the registration desk took a good look at me. I wasn't recognizable as
myself; I had made sure of that. Gorgeous Glenda and Luscious Linda hadn't asked why I needed an exo-robotic suit.
They didn't care. Of course, that being said, they'd probably sold the information three times over before I left their
building.

"Registering as a hero?"

"Yes." My simple answer didn't faze her.
She was a pro.

"Have you had your powers assessed to determine their origin and
archetype?"

"Yes. Mutation. Fire
Blaster."

She typed into her computer, barely looking up until the next question. "And what name will you
be going by?"

"Solar Gain." Still typing. I hadn't said enough for her to be
typing this madly. This had to be a ploy.

"Alright. Your primary contact here in City Hall will be Antonio Nash.
He's down around the corner and down the steps. Or you're welcome to street sweep. The Hellions and
Vahzilock are trying to encroach on us normal people." She looked up long enough to give me a small smile.
"You can join a Supergroup if you wish, though it is not mandatory. Several of them are looking for heroes to fill their
ranks."

"Crossroads."

"Oh, The Legendary Beta Team. Good choice. I'll send them a message
saying you'd like to join them. Now, do you need a place to stay?"

It slipped out, I swear it did. "Are you inviting me over?"

She gave me an amused look. "I'll take that as a yes you do need
lodging, at least temporary. We've had an increase in hero registration recently so a lot of our regular housing is full
up. We do have a few apartments available in Dark Astoria."

"Dark Astoria." She nodded, her face showing no real emotion, just typical
pleasantness. "Isn't that a hazard zone?"

"Yes well, a villain of your-" She stopped mid-sentence, her face going red in
embarrassment.

I swore silently to myself. "Fingerprints?" Though I wondered how
they could have gotten them, I had never removed my gloves.

"Voice print actually."

"Damn." I took a deep breath. "How much to keep it
quiet?"

She regained a bit more of her composure. "I don't accept bribes
sir. Rest assured that your information will be kept confidential and your identity is only listed as Solar Gain."
She paused a moment, then continued. "Here is your communication device. Navigation info and maps
are preloaded. It also works as a cell phone, PDA, compass medical transporters and a few other things. It should
integrate in well with your suit armour. If not, I know Serge in Steel Canyon would be glad to make alterations.
Do you have any questions sir?"

"No."

"Good luck sir. Welcome to Paragon City."

I stood on the steps of City Hall and looked at my map. "Dark
Astoria. Son of a -" I stopped speaking when I saw the small short, child like figure come up the stairs
next to me.

"Say it out loud man, it'll make you feel better." The 'child' had a deep
baritone, a derby hat, cigar and tiny wings. He passed by and went into City Hall.

Felspar, aka Matthew Mac Hine, sat in the Crossroads office and stared at hi computer
screen. Fae Wree Tale was the titular head of Crossroads, but Fae didn't do paperwork. She tried, but her
attention span wasn't long enough. He snorted as he remembered the first and only time Fae had gone to an All Leaders
meeting. It had been disastrous to say the least.

Fae had sat through the introductions without any problems. She's gotten
antsy after that and started buzzing up and down the rows offering everyone licorice and telling every cat girl there that she knew a cat with really great
boots. There had been a lot of cat girls. Even when certain signature heroes - who shall remain nameless to
preserve their reputations - had tried to take control of the situation; Fae had eluded them all. She had stealthed up and zoomed to the
far side of the room blowing raspberries, bring in her phantom army for an impromptu dance party. It had not gone well.
Ever since that day, he had been getting the invitations - and everyone but Fae thought it was a much better idea.

His computer beeped an incoming email in and he took a quick look. Someone by the name of Solar Gain
was asking for membership. He sent an invitation and went back to his paperwork - looking over the files of the newest recruit Avon Ti
(pronounced Ah-Von Tee). Born into a family of Tsoo, but she had turned to the hero side. She was classified as a
Kinetic Defender. He looked up when a knock came at the door.

A man stood there. He was of average height, average build.
He was wearing some sort of powered exo-suit in black with yellow highlights. No, the black wasn't just suit, it looked like
little solar panels. Wow, that was impressive. Felspar stood and said, "You must be Solar Gain. Welcome to Crossroads. I'm Felspar." He went to extend his hand but the man removed his
helmet instead.

I stood on top of the Atlas Statue and surveyed the city - my new old home- as the sun rose behind me. There comes a time in every
villains life when he has to make a choice - to be truly evil or to turn to the side of "Good". I made my choice. I was once the villain Mace Mac Hine. Now I am the hero Solar Gain.

[Image: Solar+Gain.jpg]
O_O;

Oh, dear.

Um. Whats Lady Nogi think of this?
I'm picturing a poor customs clerk completely flabbergasted that Nogi is entering Paragon openly and completely by-the-book.

___Nogi First person ficlet-let-let____

"Purpose of your visit?" the poor dear stammered. I let my smile widen, causing him to begin sweating nervously. I made a show of coyly ducking my head hiding my eyes behind my bangs.

"This one is meeting her husband for a conjugal visit in more," a pause of just the right amount of time to discomfit him further, "private environs than those afforded by Pocket D or the accomodations provided by Vanguard."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll