Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Well. Here We Go Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This time it's DC's turn to announce a branded MMORPG.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:"You can be a speedster, or fly fast, or be one of these characters who swims."
Gee, so, like Aquaman, you can have a travel power that's of rather limited use.
Quote:Settings will include Metropolis and Gotham City, and the premise will fit neatly into DC's complicated timelines and alternate universes, Lee says. Comics will introduce what is happening in the game and tie into ongoing online plots. "When the game starts, there's going to be all these superheroes and supervillains, and they are not just ignoring the fact that everything has changed in the DC Universe," Lee says.
'... at least until the next continuity rewrite.'

I don't really expect it, but it'd be cool. '.'

-Morgan.
Everytime I hear about it, my mind goes to several points... The fact that you'll never really be in the same league as the big name DC heroes, the fact
there's a LOT about the DCU I'm really not liking lately (The name Grant Morrison features a lot), but more then anything else, the fact it's being
made by Sony and the physics engine. Sony, for obvious reasons.

The engine? Well, they've described it as 'fully interactive', which once you get past the PR nonsense, would simply be a lot of interactive
objects. But they've used the description of throwing a bus and anyone in the way getting caught as collateral damage. I'm imagining the strain such a
massive game world would put on hardware and the programming required for it, and getting a headache. Also, welcome to the new age of PvP griefing.

Right now, I'll pass.
Quote:Also, welcome to the new age of PvP griefing.
One would hope that the system would allow for griefers to immediately become labelled as supervillains...
-- Bob
---------
I have been reading a few reports on this. The one that has me slightly concerned is the part about interacting with 'key' DC hereos - I think the
example they gave is Superman or Batman being an ally and coming to you for help...

That can only go badly.

"I'm Batman."

"Yes, yes you are, the cape, mask, and general aura of fucked-up human being gave it away."

"I need you to do something for me."

"I am not dressing up in brightly coloured tights and shorts so you can teach me to wrestle."

"No.. At least not now... I have a job for you.

"Great. I get to wear tights and park your car. Valet parking isn't good enough for you Dark Knight. You want Ballet parking. And me without my
tutu."

"Maybe I should go ask someone else."

"Sure there's a home for emotionally vulnerable wayward boys down the street. Fill your tights."

Not that Superman would be any better.

"Fellow hero, I need you to stop a bank heist for me."

"Um... sure.. Okay."

"Too late friend, while you dithered I used my super speed to stop it. Fear not though, aliens are invading Metropolis and I want you to stop them.

"Will do."

"You certainly would, if you were fast enough. I just sent them on their way in the time it took you to blink. Fortunately Evil never rests and we must
stop Solomon Grundy from"

"Stop it. Just stop it!"

"What do you mean friend?"

"By the time you finish the mission briefing, you've already done it yourself you overpowered, yellow-sun fuelled, space git!"

"That's no reason to get upset. Look, stop crying friend... Kicking me in my super crotch will accomplish nothing except breaking your foot..."

Of course there are some bonuses.

"I need you to travel to Paradise Island and save the Amazonian Women's Synchronized Swimming Team."

"Can do Wonder Woman, but only if you do five jumping jacks first."

Or..

"Aquaman! Someone said you required my assistance."

"You're actually talking to me! Another hero wants my company! Oh thank you! I've been so lonely! You really want to fight crime with me?
That's great! This is the happiest day of my life!"

I think I'll stick to COH.

Shayne
Quote:I think I'll stick to COH.
Oh, I certainly will, too. It seems to me that all these attempts at branded settings are just also-rans who only now realized that COH has not only proved the concept works and is popular, but is raking in the money from users, and they finally want a piece of the pie. But as the Marvel effort showed, they'll get so tied up in their own restrictions or haste to get a product on the market or both; the attempt will almost certainly fail.
-- Bob
---------