Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Hey, Acyl...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:I'll post some screenshots of Obsolete when I get home, as well. I take it you want the classic Robot Maid Obsolete.

This reminded me, I'm pretty sure someone said I should ask you about how to make a maid outfit in CoH.

Shia Arisa Plenilune is high enough level for another costume slot now, and her concept pretty much demands that I fill them with a variety of fetish outfits... (And I already have enough catgirls. '.' )

-Morgan. And believe it or not, the concept requiring fetish outfits wasn't my idea...
***Edit: Wrong Thread****
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Well, the value of my advice depends on whether you think my costume's any good. I linked this in the other thread, but again - this is my Robot Maid costume

I point this out 'cause, f'instance, Foxboy has entirely different ideas on how to do a maid costume.

For me, though...I started by taking the 'French Maid' stereotype and breaking it down. What do you need? Black and white as the main colours, obviously. They're not the ONLY maid uniform colours, but they're the iconic ones.

What else? You need some kind of fancy white hat. We can't really do that, but the fiddly bits on the braided 'Asian' piece work, 'specially with primary colour black and secondary colour white. Closest I could get. I guess you could also use a white headband or tiara with any other hairstyle, if this doesn't appeal to you.

Next, you need a collar piece, or something similar. Four ways I found to do that - with just shoulder pieces, heavy neck chain in black or spiked collar in black. Alternatively, you can use the entire 'Leather' piece from Tops with Skin (it has a collar covering), or use a 'Shirt' top (coloured black, presumably) and one of the scarf chest details in white. I don't like the shirt option, but more on that in a moment.

Depending on how sexy you want the French Maid outfit to be, you either want a black/white shirt top (with short sleeves)...or a top that leaves the shoulders and collarbone bare. I think the second option works better. Using a shirt top might let you simulate a higher white apron reaching up to the chest area (with, say, the baseball top), but I think that's a bit too fiddly. I prefer a flat black top - either the strapless pattern (ie. the backless tops with skin), possibly also tank top or leather (also from tops with skin). Bridal or Bridal Lace could also work if you have the Wedding Pack, but I don't like those because the texture doesn't look good on lower graphics settings.

Which leaves the apron. And you do need an apron, over a black skirt. What Obsolete uses is a plain flared skirt with...I think it's Stripe 2 or Stripe 3 pattern applied, I forget...but it creates that white oblong area on both sides of the skirt. She has a white cloth belt to complete the look. This isn't the only pattern that works, there are a couple of others that can be 'apron-like', IIRC. Also, you could use the bridal or leather textures for the base skirt as well, but I've already noted my issue with that.

You probably want black shoes of some sort, bridal, stiletto, or otherwise. Dark stockings to taste. You may want gloves; hooked or bridal could work. Or none at all. Obsolete doesn't have these 'cause she's a robot maid.
-- Acyl
Foxboy has entirely different ideas?

*prods Foxboy*

-Morgan, probably won't be trying anything for a few days anyway...
Foxboy has a Maid-themed character who has a different-looking costume, but I forget what it is right now.

I remember thinking it was a pretty good costume, objectively - I really like Foxboy's costumes as a general rule - but I didn't realise it was meant to be a maid until after I'd stared at it for a while.

Thing is, I'm not sure whether that's because it ain't as good a depiction, or if it's because I've spent so much time looking at Obsolete's costume until, in my mind, that to me is the definitive 'CoX Maid'.

As I said, I did like what Fox made. It just wasn't as 'maid' to me. Pun intended.
-- Acyl
NExt time we're both on, I'll see if I can drag out Maiden Haste for you, or perhaps Mother Meyai, who, while not not a maid, per se, has an apron as a prominent part of her design.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Well, if you've seen the screenshots Sweno posted, you've probably seen I ended up with something more like Acyl's version for Shia's new
costume. (Even if I seem to have forgotten the important part, the pattern on the skirt. o.O )

Ultimately, what I had to keep in mind was that I'm being inspired by the costuming style of Ar Tonelico here. And in Ar Tonelico, one character can wear
nothing but a towel into battle, and another can wear just a mostly-buttoned dress shirt. And the first character also has a costume she describes as
"worse than being naked!" (with a big smile on her face).

So, it wouldn't make sense to go with something *less* fanservice. If it didn't look like total crap on my system, I'd probably have tried to make
it look like she was wearing *just* an apron...

As for the chest detail business I was complaining about in global chat, my in character justifcation is that she got tired of people asking what it was and is
hiding it with makeup. '.'

-Morgan.