Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Riot Force Report: To Kindle Flame
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a quick Setting piece, describing the world where Enynn came from, and also a sorta-prelude to the whole thing.

----

The Countess Crey looked down approvingly up from attop the Central Grandville Tower. Crey City was a sight to behold, and she had made it all happen. After
being cast out as a unethical crack in Paragon, through sheer determination she made her own small empire through out the Isles. Her corperation was always
working, always finding new discoveries, and the sound of the elevator door opening behind her reminded her that she was about to hear another.

As the nervous, slightly shaking scientist aprroced her, he was lost for words. She frowned, she did not like these types.

"Well?" She asked expectantly.

"I.. On behalf of the departm-ment," He choked up a moment, "I r-regret to inform you, Countess, that we are not yet ready for h-human
testing.."

"And the schedule I assigned you?"

"B-but.. There were no expectations for att-ttack, Countess."

She Sighed. Longbow was getting much more open in their attemtps to stop her. They claimed her corperation was inhuman in its experiments. What could be more
human than curiosity, though? She was pushing the boundaries of knowledge that none other dared. Some day she would return and show Paragon the folly of their
'scientific ethics'. She would rule over them.

"Fine. One week. You have access our most talented staff. If you don't have a successful test by then, I'll make sure you are the next
'volunteer'. Do you understand 'doctor' Aeon?" The last with a not-so-subtle mock-respect.

"Y-yess Countess. Thank y-you." He bowed and wimpered his way out.

(You might guess I don't write for length.)
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
It took me a minute to remember "oh, yeah, alternate world", because I was like "Oh, hey, someone else besides me thinks that the Countess runs
everything from the Rogue Isles". [Image: laugh.gif]

That said, this is interesting. Be curious to see where it goes.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."
And a bit more. I think I manage to get across the general idea of the happening. En, of course, knows none of this. And yes, it is rather short. I don't
expound more than I have to. Think of it more as a old, fuzzy picture rather than a state-of-the-art Hi-Def Digital Video. [Image: smile.gif]

----

"Any number of things could go wrong."

As he enters into the Room, he makes to protest to his superior of the folly of their plan, but he is quickly quieted with but a firm glance. Everyone knew
there was no time left for tests, no time for double-checking. They could either produce results, or fail. There was only once price for failure in the corp.
And it was worse than death.

"Open the Test Chamber," Announces the lead scientist. "Make ready for the subject."

Orderlies quickly hop to, and begin to unlock and pull open an ominous looking coffin like chamber of heavily reinforced metals. Inside, a cavity with a
standing table, and several restraints, as well as several electrodes and syringe needles. It looks almost right out of a poorly made medical horror scene.

"Bring in the subject," comes the next order.

Two burly, heavily armed guards carry in the semi-conscious form of a young girl, naked and unaware of her surroundings. No one pays her any mind as she is
strapped onto the table. As all is tightened down and secured, one of the guards removes a small circlet on her head, and she wakes up almost immediately. Even
as the realization of her situation dawns on her, and she begs and pleads for her life, the men move forward.

"Seal the Chamber," the command given nonchalantly even as the girl screams for mercy at the closing chamber. Then, as the last of the locks are set
in place, an alarm comes blaring through the speakers in the room. Several of the attendants begin to rush for the exit.

"You all with stay here, and continue. You can either run, and die in the cross fire, perhaps live to face your failure; or you can remain and chance
success. And with the doors locked, you have little choice."
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Welcome to the Enrichment Center...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.